Author Topic: Genos styles programming  (Read 10924 times)

Offline Luluc

Genos styles programming
« on: July 26, 2019, 09:08:17 PM »
Hello all Genosphiles !

In general, styles are written on a CMaj7 chord basis.
I have just discovered that some styles are written on the basis of a FMaj7 chord, for example the Genos style LushBallad.

Is it a common fact ? What are the pros and the cons of this way ?
I have not a specific request for the moment, it is just to better understand the world of the Yamaha arrangers.
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline pjd

Re: Genos styles programming
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 04:57:46 AM »
CMaj7 is the default. The Yamaha system is quite flexible, allowing different chord root notes and chord types. Yamaha factory styles sometimes use E7 for guitar parts.

It's all in the Reference Manual and is discussed in the chapter about style creation. See the info about NTT and NTR (Note Transposition Table and Note Transposition Rule), too.

-- pj

Offline Luluc

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 07:29:40 PM »
OK thanks pjd, I will a have a look to the reference manual.

It would be interesting to get some comments from users who have created their own styles not using the default CMaj7 chord.
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 01:29:42 AM »
Hi luluc --

I created styles using chords other than CMaj7 when I translated DJX II patterns to PSR styles, so I'm sure this can be done.

The CASM section must be editted. The sections for each part must have the correct NTT and NTR info, corresponding with the chordal notes in the MIDI data for the sections. The CASM info can be set using Style Creator on the target arranger keyboard. Or, it can be changed using Jorgen's CASM editor. (Or Mixmaster.) I'm a big fan of Jorgen's tools.

All the best -- pj