Author Topic: reset transpose DGX660  (Read 49871 times)

O2breather

reset transpose DGX660
« on: July 25, 2019, 09:04:09 AM »
I may be overlooking it in the manual but is there a quick way to reset the transpose function to 0 on the DGX660? So without having to go through the time consuming "Function" "Category"routine.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:05:34 AM by O2breather »

Offline Toril S

Re: reset transpose DGX660
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 09:36:06 AM »
Try to press th transpose plus and minus buttons simultaniously😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 11:55:44 AM »
Looking in the manual, I don't see any Transpose buttons on the panel, so that means the only way to access the Transpose feature is through the Function menu. The thing that makes this troublesome is that (at least on the models I'm experienced with) whenever you press the Function button it takes you to the last function you'd accessed, which might be half the menu away from the function you're trying to get to, thereby forcing you to tediously page forward or backward through the menu to get to the desired function.

On some models you can shortcut to various points within the Function menu by pressing (or usually pressing and holding) a button that takes you directly to one of the functions. If you're lucky, there's a button that will go to the function you want, but most of the time you have to settle for shortcutting to a function that's close to the one you want in the menu. Unfortunately, the DGX models seem to be short on buttons that jump to specific points within the Function menu, since most of them seem to go to settings which are "off menu." However, it looks like the Chord Fingering button (which is of the press-and-hold type) will get you close to the Transpose function. So the quickest way to get there is to press and hold the Chord Fingering button, then go backward five (5) pages in the menu to get to the Transpose setting.

Note that if you're wanting to switch between different Transpose settings during a performance, it's really no different than wanting to switch between other settings-- voices, effects, etc. That means it might be desirable to set up some specific Transpose settings and save them to different registrations. Of course, since nearly all of the keyboard's settings get saved to and recalled from a registration, and there is no "freeze" option as on PSR-S and higher models, you'll need to set and save most of the other functions the way you want them to be when you recall a particular registration to recall a given Transpose setting.

But for transposing on the fly before starting a particular song, the simplest way will be to shortcut to the Chord Fingering and then step backward five times to the Transpose setting.

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 07:34:30 AM »
Hello everyone,

@Michael: thank you for this detailed explanation. Let me add a point:

Actually, the Function menu automatically defaults to the Style Volume Function. Thus, using the Category right button five times will also lead you to the Transpose function.

Normally, as long as the piano remains powered, the last function in use will be remembered. Let’s say that you want to transpose to a different tone for each song of your set. The best way to achieve this would be to go back to the Function menu, which will display the Transpose function as long as you don’t select another function in the menu, or power the DGX off. You will then be able to choose a different transposition tone for each song of your set.

Of course, if you’re using regs for your songs anyway, the best thing to do would be to record the Transpose value for each song of your set together with the other song settings. Since the number of regs is limited on the DGX660, you might want to use the same reg memory for songs that share similar settings.

Hope this helps,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 05:47:55 PM »
Actually, the Function menu automatically defaults to the Style Volume Function.

So it works differently than on the PSR-E/YPT models, where pressing FUNCTION takes you to the last function you'd accessed since turning on the keyboard? Thank you for pointing that out, as I have no experience with the DGX models but sometimes try to assist DGX owners here and on other forum sites.

Can you tell me, do the DUAL and SPLIT buttons let you shortcut into the Function menu as on the PSR-E/YPT models? I don't see the Dual Voice setting and Split Voice setting listed in the Function menu the way they are in the PSR-E/YPT Function menus, so I've assumed that you can't shortcut to those settings and then go forward or backward from there to other functions within the menu. Is that correct?

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 06:34:08 PM »
Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, you cannot use the Dual and Split buttons as shortcuts in the Function menu.

What you can do is press the plus and minus buttons at once to restore the chosen function to its default value.
For instance, if you’ve set the Transpose function to two semitones higher, pressing the plus and minus buttons at the same time will reset the Transpose value to zero.

Another cool trick is that if you press and hold one of the double arrow Category buttons, you will go more quickly through all the functions either in ascending (right double arrow) or in descending order (left double arrow).

Hope this helps,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.