Author Topic: Keyboard Amp For DGX 660  (Read 53352 times)

Offline spiro13

Keyboard Amp For DGX 660
« on: August 06, 2019, 04:26:12 PM »
Hi

I have a DGX 660 which I really like. The sound from the built-in speakers is pretty good. However, I would like a Keyboard Amp to use in a bigger setting. I have tried several types as well as a PA speaker. None of them have a really good sound. They made the sound worse. No amount of adjusting made much of a difference.  I would like to know if anybody has had a similar experience  and what you used to improve the sound of your Keyboard.

Thanks,

Tony

SeaGtGruff

Re: Keyboard Amp For DGX 660
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »
I have no experience with using external speakers, so I can't recommend anything, but there a few things to be aware of:

(1) The keyboard has a Master EQ function with different possible settings. You might want to look into those and try out the settings to see how they affect the sound. You might also want to look into an external equalizer, so you can adjust the amplification of different frequency ranges beyond what the Master EQ function of your keyboard allows.

(2) Not all amplifiers and speakers are alike as far as which frequency ranges they work best with. From what I've read, you'll want to avoid guitar amps, because they're designed for higher-range frequencies and the lower-range frequencies will suffer. Bass amps are supposed to be much better for keyboards, as they're designed for lower-range frequencies but even so the higher-range frequencies won't suffer. You can also buy keyboard speakers, but I don't know how they compare with bass amps. And there are studio monitors which give a good response across a wide range of frequencies.

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:51:08 PM »
Are you maybe losing* the stereo effect. That makes a difference,
For smaller settings most people find a nice pair of small powered studio monitors work well. There are many out there, MAudio, Fluid-power.......You need to go to a good retailer who supplies home recording equipment and try some. In bigger settings something like Maui or bode compact are good.
Mike

Offline spiro13

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:54:09 PM »
Thanks for the information. I will give it a try.

Tony