Author Topic: No Difference with 1.4 Update For Me  (Read 249256 times)

Mike2

No Difference with 1.4 Update For Me
« on: July 23, 2019, 01:20:26 PM »
I may be blind, but the 1.4 update that everyone has been talking about has done little for me with the genos. What ever the update was, it is in no way a huge difference. I guess for me, the sound the instrument is number one, and always has. But for those who it has really made a difference, I say Great.

The following users thanked this post: jwyvern, Amxf5

Offline EileenL

Re: No Difference with 1.4 Update For Me
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 05:07:05 PM »
The update has added certain features to the main screen and now allows more assignable parts to be used plus lots of other things. Did you read the list that was on the Yamaha download site.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 09:48:44 PM »
Hi Mike
if you record a song in the sequencer and you have loads of mixer moves the Genos ran out of memory pretty quickly..
Yamaha have added more memory to the setup in the sequencer department.
I was getting fed up with having to adjust the faders as when memory runs out all goes back to the settings you first put in.
This saves you keep manually adjusting faders and other things in the setup department.
For me a big improvement.
Also learn the live controls more.
There is so much to learn on the Genos. Combine with Cubase and you have a monster at your fingertips

All the Best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 10:29:44 PM »
I guess you were expecting to have Yamaha provide an update that totally changed the keyboard into a Genos2 or something more than it basically is. This will never happen with any update from any manufacturer. Essentially, they can improve certain features of the operating system, but it is up to you to make the keyboard your own when it comes to overall sound.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 08:16:29 AM »
Gary. I'll correct you there. KORG new PA4X OS has basically given owners a complete new board Free.
DGX670

beykock

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 08:43:13 AM »
Hi :

If it is true what Graham is saying, the PA5X will not come soon whilst most Korg PA4X owners think it will be availabe at the end of 2019, early 2020, am I right ?

Babette
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 08:45:12 AM by beykock »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 12:42:18 PM »
Why, are you thinking of buying one. I think most of us are interested in what our Yamaha keyboards do and better still what you can do with them.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 12:50:50 PM »
Gary. I'll correct you there. KORG new PA4X OS has basically given owners a complete new board Free.

Ohh, yes ... ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

Offline voodoo

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 12:53:40 PM »

No, I don't think this is correct. They changed the color scheme and renewed some parts like the draw boar organ section.

And now, when the color scheme is changed from light to dark, it is still ugly and 80s style. I like the Yamaha UI much more.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »
Graham, The PA4X needed it when it first came out of the box from what I was told by a couple owners. I've only played a Genos for 2 hours and was amazed at what I heard straight out of the box. Big difference.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline elad770

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 04:50:21 PM »
No, I don't think this is correct. They changed the color scheme and renewed some parts like the draw boar organ section.

And now, when the color scheme is changed from light to dark, it is still ugly and 80s style. I like the Yamaha UI much more.

Uli

I agree the color scheme didn't change the pa4x appearance which is still ugly and primitive BUT!

Pa4x is not about a beautiful colorful screen. In term of functionality, Yes, users basically received a new board for free

The Genos Update only fixed stuff and added things that should have been placed from day one! I still love it. I think it's still by far the best arranger in the market and yes! i still have 1.3 version
:)

I give credit when needed objectively. I think Korg did more for their customers in terms of giving them the functions they want. I think Yamaha must improve on that and they will!
Yamaha efforts in proving certain functions we need are small to non. Because the technology is already there and it's very solid in it's quality. To have their programer code some new add ons to an operating system is a childs play! and i have no doubt that they will do it. They simply don't want to put all their efforts in one basket
If they will fix and improve everything consumers might think negatively about it

Offline BartW

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 07:05:56 PM »
I may be blind, but the 1.4 update that everyone has been talking about has done little for me with the genos. What ever the update was, it is in no way a huge difference. I guess for me, the sound the instrument is number one, and always has. But for those who it has really made a difference, I say Great.

I was hoping the update would allow the Genoa to cook me dinner and take the kids to school in the morning. Sorely disappointed!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 08:02:05 PM »
... Yamaha have added more memory to the setup in the sequencer department...

John,

What is the capacity of the sequencer now with the update? I've been telling Yamaha to this for some time because of the arpeggiator and Live Control... as you state notes, and continuous controller messages are both MIDI events.  400k (32,000 MIDI events) is totally inadequate for the newer keyboards that are designed to use more Multi Pads as well. The Motif and Montage sequencers have about 3x to 4x the capacity of the arranger keyboards.

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 08:03:16 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ckobu

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »
Changes: The maximum capacity per file of MIDI Song has been expanded to about 3 MB.
Watch my video channel

Offline panos

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 09:20:57 PM »
If they add many features to Genos, who's gonna buy the Motif or the Montage and for what reason?
If they put better keybed to arranger keyboards who's gonna buy the digital or stage pianos and for what reason?
I don't know if you can see the most basic factor for any company to produce the super arranger we would all like.
Genos is an arranger keyboard and as an arranger is sounds really great.
Those who have it, they can take advantage of the already existed features to produce good music.
Music is not features and upgrades.
Is just harmonies and sounds.
And your instrument has got some brilliant sounds I believe. :)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 10:40:28 PM »
Changes: The maximum capacity per file of MIDI Song has been expanded to about 3 MB.

Thanks... that's a substantial  improvement. About 3 times the capacity of Motif.

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:47:17 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Joe H

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 10:46:47 PM »
If they add many features to Genos, who's gonna buy the Motif or the Montage and for what reason?...

I was just making a comparison.  Those synths have multiple arpeggiators and the Montage has Super Knob. These features use a lot of sequence memory.

Yamaha didn't think about this issue when they came out with the S770, S970 and Genos.  There must have been others that complained about it too.  I expect the replacement for the PSR S975 will have the updated sequencer since All arrangers have had the same 400k limitation for many years.

Joe H