Author Topic: Genos transpose on recorded song in sequencer  (Read 2105 times)

Offline ugawoga

Genos transpose on recorded song in sequencer
« on: November 11, 2021, 07:10:54 PM »
Hi

I have just finished another song, using the straight quick record ready for a little tidy up in cubase and then mix
I got to the last part and waited for the fill to finish and th registration change was tranpose plus 1
All went well on the recording but when it came to the registration change the chord sounded off and it did not transpose.
I looked in the registration properties and transpose was ticked.
I wanted the transpose to add a bit of interest.
So all plays well makiing the recording but not so good on the play back
It was frustrating for me as i made three good sesions and the fouth i left not transposed and all sounded great.
I possibly could transpose that part in Cubase, but the Genos should do it.

Anyone had the same problem???

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ckobu

Re: Genos transpose on recorded song in sequencer
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 07:35:28 PM »
Hi John

You need to use Keyboard Transpose, not Maser Transpose.
Watch video with explanation

https://youtu.be/yp_1Ja8AS_k
Watch my video channel

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 07:59:24 PM »
Hi John,

Here is some more information for you, in addition to Casper's explanations:

There are three different Transpose options:

Master: Transposes the pitch of the entire sound, with the exception of the Audio Song.

Keyboard: Transposing the keyboard pitch including the chord root for triggering Style playback.

Song
: Transposes the pitch of the MIDI Song.

Note: The last option selected determines the function of the Transpose buttons!

In the Transpose settings, first make sure that the Transpose values for "Master" and "Song" are set to zero. Then you tap on "Keyboard". Now you can use the Transpose buttons to set the desired Transpose value for Keyboard and Style (or set this value to zero by pressing both Transpose buttons at the same time).

If you now create a Registration in which the keyboard is transposed and thus record a MIDI file, it will always sound correctly when you play it back later (exactly as you recorded it) because the Transpose parameter "Song" is set to zero .

Please see also page 61 in the Genos Owner's Manual.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 08:01:32 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 09:18:36 PM »
Hi
Thanks guys as there is so much that needs to be learned
I will have a look into sttings and see where i went wrong .
I assumed if you record a song live the transpose will work as when you hear it when playing, so the same with record..
Hi Chokbu , i will get back soon with the Xg, just finishing Love Grows.1969

All th best
John
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 05:23:22 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 11:05:04 PM »
If you want a transpose to be recorded John then simply make sure you set it to Keyboard when you are recording.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 02:22:23 PM »
Hi Eileen

I set the keyboard right for recording transpose, but it seems to glitch when i get to the transpose point three quarters through a song.
I tried it for a couple of chords with the style going and transposed and it worked.
Maybe it is me, but it seems strange that i cannot get it to work near the end of a three minute song.
Believe me i have tried and not step recorded.  It left me frustrated that i have done four staight takes and glitched every time.
Play it live and it works perfectly and i do count 2,3,4 before hitting transpose in my not so perfect brain :D ;) ::) :P
I will keep looking at this until it is foolproof" ;D
In the meantime i recorded the song and made midi file and another with the transposed part.
I can join that to the song after turning to wave file
I could also do this recording on the Genos and play the song and then hit the transpose at the right point.
I like Cubase as i can  Eq properly and polish the sounds more.
The Cubase side is coming on great for me , but still lots to learn.
I have notified Yamaha about the step function for User Syles and they said they would pass my request to the Tech boys for a possible update.
Just had my flu jab and it i made me feel little yucky and felt like someone punched me on the arm.
Next week the 3rd booster. I guess it will be the other arm next!! :o
Same for you probably but stay safe Eileen.

All the Best

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 04:52:05 PM »
It always works for me John but I always record live anyway. Some times I may add three transposes in one song and it always works.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
It should work. There must be something mysterious going on!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 05:21:42 PM »
Hi Eileen and Toril

It is probably pilot error and my penny will soon drop!! Hopefully ;D
I love the transpose especially when a song needs more interest.
Instrumentals do need a lift when there is no singer and boy O'boy You would not want to hear my voice.
It's like Foghorn Leghorn :P ::) Even worse than Noggin The Nog!! That would have Nogbad laughing!!! ;D

All the best
John

below----
 Foghorn Leghorn  a Loonytunes cartoon character &  Noggin the Nog
Dedicated to the Uk and Tromso

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 05:43:54 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 06:20:55 PM »
John, do you have the Genos connected to your DAW while recording the song? If so, disconnect, and see that transpose assign is set on keyboard, then try again. And I believe your voice is OK😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 08:40:16 PM »
Hi John,
There are 3 sets of Transposes, Keyboard, Song and Master. If you are finding variable results even though you have set the knobs for Keyboard it might well be because Song or Master TP is not set to zero when recording and if so they can influence the values you think you have set causing confusion. Unless you deliberately call up the Transpose screen that shows all 3 values you won't know it is happening. When it is critical I always call up that screen so I can make sure not only what the KB is set to but that the other values are really zero, and if not, adjust them. (Select Menu/ Transpose).
You can also keep an eye on values to ensure they don't become non zero at some point (perhaps due to being saved inadvertently to a registration which is currently in use).
John
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 08:48:05 PM by jwyvern »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 12:14:24 PM »
Hi JV

Big thanks for your explanation as it now has fallen into place .
I saved registration 8 for the transpose and in the transpose properties it had all 1's.
You are right it is better to check the transpose properties .
If you just use the transpose to change during live play all is ok but somehow in the properties things can change.
I have put the transpose +1 up and checked the properties and again all 1's
I rectified that and saved again on registration 8 and all is as it should be now. :)

All the best
Ps We never stop learning!! :)