Author Topic: Only C as bassnote for all chords!  (Read 5551 times)

ollake

Only C as bassnote for all chords!
« on: July 15, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »
Hi everyone!
I have just encountered a new fascinating problem.
My little 7 months old daughter had some fun with my s950. And when she was done this problem was there. :)

Whatever chord I make (except as a C-chord) is spelled out as a slash chord with C as the root. If I play d f a the keyboard plays (and displays) a Dm7/C. Likewise if I play a F#-chord it is interpreted as a F#/C.
What has happened and what to do to fix it?

Regards
Olle

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Only C as bassnote for all chords!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 05:01:21 PM »
You'll need to change the Chord type.

Direct Access ---- ACMP ---

Toggel Up or down ,
I think Multi Finger should be the default.
Regards Norman!

Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 05:25:52 PM »
Hi Olle,

It sounds as if you (or her!  :-\) have managed to select a MIDI template which is expecting the style bass note on a specific MIDI channel ('MIDI Pedal 1' or 'MIDI Pedal 2' for example).  If this is the case, and there is nothing connected to the keyboard that is sending notes on that channel, then the keyboard will just use the same bass note for all chords.

On a S950 you can check this by pressing FUNCTION > MIDI.  The MIDI template in use will be highlighted.

Unless you have any specific MIDI requirements, the simplest thing to do is to select the preset 'ALL PARTS' template, which should restore normal style play.

You can read about selecting and editing MIDI templates in the section 'MIDI Settings' starting on page 104 of the 'PSR-S950/S750 Reference Manual' (english version). Note that this is not the same as the 'Owner's Manual' which you may have received with the keyboard.  You can download the Reference Manual from your local Yamaha Support website.

p.s. next time don't try and blame the baby!  :)

Regards

Ian

Janus

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 05:55:33 PM »
You have to go to fingering settings
and set the "on bass" functie to off
The "on bass" is very usefull for slash chords (Writen like C/G
A whiter shade of pale is a good example
The bass goes his own way

Gr.Jan

ollake

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 06:11:48 PM »
Of course, Ian!
Yep, she managed to get into the midisettings display and she really went for it when she also found that shiny silvery wheel. Aah, thanks, Ian!
It was so long ago I had to deal with midi so I didn't think of it.
Hehe, next time I won't blame my little Sivanna but this time I do!
(She had lots of fun and now she can have the s950 since I just got my Genos, the daddykeyboard)
Thanks again!