Author Topic: Too Hot for Genos Outdoors  (Read 32409 times)

augere50@gmail.com

Too Hot for Genos Outdoors
« on: July 20, 2019, 02:35:45 PM »
Hi fellas,
  I have a Genos and Korg Pa4x.  My bandmates wanted to do an outdoor job very soon.   At what temperature would you not take out either keyboard to play  (especially without a tent)?
Thanks Frank

Offline mikf

Re: Too Hot for Genos Outdoors
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 03:40:01 PM »
I would not expect the outside temperature to bother the Genos if you can stand it! Much more likely to be an issue when it is lying in the trunk of a car on a really hot day. Outside, probably not an issue.
Some sort of parasol/umbrella might be good if you are going to be in direct sunshine.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 04:31:33 PM »
4 of my weekly gigs are outdoors but in the early evenings though, and not really in
direct sunlight.

We're having a heatwave here in Spain, with temperatures sometimes going
up to 37°C or 100°F, but have not really been a problem for the Genos, other than
the visibility of the screen.

I once had a keyboard freeze indoors but a soft reset put that right and it never
happened again.

Best Regards.
Abby.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 12:52:49 PM »
I once had my PSR3000 screen go completely blank from sitting in direct sunlight for 45 minutes on a hot and humid day in Ontario, Canada. I was playing for an outdoor wedding ceremony. I had to put the PSR3000 in my car with the AC running full for about 20 minutes to get the screen to clear.

Since then, I absolutely refuse to play unless there is shade. I'm not sure how direct sunlight would affect the Genos, but I'm not willing to gamble my chances on a $6,000 keyboard. It's also inhumane to expect musicians to sit in the beating sun for four hours in decent clothing, sweating, and trying not to keel over from heatstroke. Count me out, coach :)!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 06:13:30 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

augere50@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 05:29:55 PM »
Lee,    I think you're absolutely right.   The touch screen has some fluid in it.   Hot temperatures or direct sunlight has to break down that liquid.   That goes for any instrument with a touch screen.    I've checked other sites and many people have problems
Frank

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 06:14:21 PM »
Agreed, Frank. Thanks for the input.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 09:03:10 PM »
Frank, it all depends on the type of touch screen. Supertwist technology developed LED/LCD displays with tough screen options that work best in direct sunlight. And they are not that much more expensive. They have been used in the marine industry for decades with great results.

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...