Author Topic: transpose midi on usb  (Read 5841 times)

mla

transpose midi on usb
« on: July 13, 2019, 11:57:24 PM »
I followed perfect Michael's explanation of playing midi files from USB, pc...
https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/yahama-psr-e433-mid-load-help-me-out.26726/

so I inser the usb with midi in root of the key... play it fine.

Have an issue with transposing... as it should be first file is 111.
I can not change transposition when it loaded...
but if I go with any demo until 111 I can transpose it.

Say truth it worked once but now I can not transpose the file on usb.

What is the order of actions :)?

Thx.

SeaGtGruff

Re: transpose midi on usb
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 01:53:21 AM »
When you say "transpose," do you mean changing the key, like from the key of C to the key of Bb?

Or are you talking about changing the tempo, like from 111 BPM to 130 BPM?

mla

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 02:38:40 AM »
for me transpose has one sense :) - changing the key from one to another
It did work once, then I just don't know in what order I pressed the buttons.
When the file plays the function button is disabled so I cannot press it and enter transposition menu

mla

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 03:50:44 AM »
Michael,
I tried the method you propose in the link in my initial post...
transferred file to 433. When load from the instrument flash it works fine.
From USB it starts play right after selection of 111 and all controls (transposition) are blocked.

Thanks anyway.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 09:37:00 AM »
Okay, I was confused when you mentioned "111," because it looked like a tempo. Is that the song number, perhaps?

Let me look over that post you referred to, and review what the manual says, then get back to you.

I do know that there are different types of transpose functions on the higher models (PSR-S, Tyros, Genos), because there are different ways that transpose can work-- it can affect the keys you play, or it can affect a song file that's being played back, or it can affect just a specific MIDI channel, etc.

Unfortunately, the PSR-E models don't provide access to all of the different types of transpose functions; their TRANSPOSE buttons simply transpose the keys you play. But I think the PSR-E models should still respond to the other types of transpose commands if they're received over the USB-MIDI connection or encountered in a song file. So let me investigate and experiment a bit before I get back to you. :)

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 07:17:46 PM »
Sorry, I didn't get back yet because I've misplaced all of my USB drives and haven't bought another one yet.

What I found out so far is as follows:

(1) Transpose affects the built-in songs.

(2) Transpose does not affect the styles.

I haven't been able to try transposing a song that's on a USB drive, but it should be easy to test; I just need to buy a new USB drive, or else find where I put my existing baggie of USB drives.

For anyone who wants to test it themselves, here are a couple of things to try:

(1) Transpose down -12 semitones (or down 1 octave) while there is no USB drive inserted. Then insert a USB drive, select a song from the USB drive, and play it back. Make a mental note of how it sounds.

(2) Switch to a built-in song, then remove the USB drive. Transpose up +12 semitones (or up 1 octave) while there is no USB drive inserted. Then insert the USB drive, select the same song as before, and play it back. It should be obvious whether the song is transposed or not, because the new transpose setting will be 2 octaves higher than the previous transpose setting.

(3) If that works, then transpose must affect playback of songs from a USB drive.

(4) Assuming it did not work, repeat the first two steps, but this time insert the USB drive before changing the transpose setting, and leave it inserted while you change the transpose setting. You could even start the playback of the song and then change the transpose setting from -12 to +12 while the song is playing.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 12:27:20 PM »
I'll be testing a drive I found later this morning, but I wanted to clarify something I'd said before:

Of course transposing affects a style, but it doesn't affect a playing style. What I'm doing is starting a song and then changing Transpose to see if it affects the song, which so far it has done. But when I did that with a style, there was no change-- because I had already selected a chord and key for the accompaniment to play in, and it kept playing in that key despite any changes to Transpose. Of course if I had pressed new keys in the accompaniment section after transposing, the accompaniment would have changed chord and key accordingly.