Author Topic: Backup expansion packs from keyboard  (Read 8460 times)

Offline YYMusic

Backup expansion packs from keyboard
« on: July 10, 2019, 12:36:23 AM »
Hello, i am planning on upgrading my S770 to the S775, the problem is, i don't have a backup of my expansion packs on any of my flash drives or my PC.
Is there any possible way to back them up from the keyboard?
Thanks
Yosef

Offline Joe H

Re: Backup expansion packs from keyboard
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 02:45:31 AM »
No... If you bought them... the seller should have provided you with both .ppf and .ppi files. So you should have a backup already. With the .ppf file you can import into the YEM software and create a Installation file (.ppi)

But maybe you bought the keyboard with the packs already installed and the seller didn't give the .ppi and .ppf files.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 01:28:53 PM »
Even if you did have a backup, an installation pack created for an S770 is not guaranteed to load on an S775.

If you have any purchased content in there, it would certainly not work because it's tied to the serial number of the instrument that you selected in YEM when exporting the pack.
Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 02:22:24 PM »
Even if you did have a backup, an installation pack created for an S770 is not guaranteed to load on an S775.

If you have any purchased content in there, it would certainly not work because it's tied to the serial number of the instrument that you selected in YEM when exporting the pack.

PSR packs do not come copy protected like the TOTL models. If he installs his target keyboard in YEM as an S775 the pack can be installed.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 02:32:27 PM »
PSR packs do not come copy protected like the TOTL models. If he installs his target keyboard in YEM as an S775 the pack can be installed.

? Not sure that's true. I bought a couple of packs for the S770 which created .cpi install files, and checked credentials back to Musicsoft. Can't remember offhand which ones, possibly MidiPirates.
Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 02:46:21 PM »
? Not sure that's true. I bought a couple of packs for the S770 which created .cpi install files, and checked credentials back to Musicsoft. Can't remember offhand which ones, possibly MidiPirates.

Derek, yes you can buy copy protected packs for the PSR series, but Easy Sounds sells packs that are not protected. People here have loaded PSR packs into their T5 and Genos.

I've experimented with this a little.  My brother has a PSR S970. He sent me his .n27 file. I created a .cpi file for his keyboard, I could not load it into my S970.

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:48:19 PM by Joe H »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 03:26:50 PM »
People here have loaded PSR packs into their T5 and Genos.

Yes - I'm one of them! That's how I found it out. I tried to load the .cpi that I'd previously stored on USB into my T5, but it did not load. I re-exported the pack from YEM using the T5' s instrument file, which produced a new .cpi that did load on the T5.
Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 06:02:08 PM »
Yes - I'm one of them! That's how I found it out. I tried to load the .cpi that I'd previously stored on USB into my T5, but it did not load. I re-exported the pack from YEM using the T5' s instrument file, which produced a new .cpi that did load on the T5.

I believe you can load .ppi files into the T5 as well.

Joe H

Offline dlepera

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 03:12:41 AM »
Hello.  I am new to all this and have been playing with files on my SX700 which I have just purchased.  Now I had a need to backup my expansion pack which I had no backup and was put on my keyboard while on quick display at a music store.  So today I have created a new expansion from input from this forum created as a New Year gift  and in order to install this newly created expansion pack the keyboard prompted me to say ok to wipe out the previous expansion pack.  So decided to try something and that was to individually grab each file in the current expansion pack and "SAVE HERE" to my USB.  I then tested to ensure that the copied file and the file on the expansion pack worked the same way and it DID!!  So this may be an option you can try on your keyboard.
   Hope this helps. dom
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 03:14:44 AM by dlepera »
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

Offline danand

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 04:20:03 PM »
If I understand you just "save" the voice data and nothing else, you don't save the actual waveforms (this is just impossible...).
So if you want to retain the data already existing on your flash memory and you don't have backup in your YEM installation, I think it is not a good idea to install anything else...
The flash memory will wipe-out. This is the only way to add new material. The data you "save" are useless after this wipe-out.

It is a limitation of the way Yamaha decode to handle the samples data on YEM compatible keyboards.
You just can't save voices including new samples from the keyboard.

The following users thanked this post: dlepera

Offline dlepera

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 04:21:53 AM »
I did everything on the Keyboard.  I opened the expansion pack and took each individual style and did a same to my USER and/or my USB. That was it. My end result was that everything that was there while the entry was in the expansion memory, was all there when it was copied separately. Also moved it around to other folder on my laptop(win 10) and the keyboard file options and all still working fine after the expansion memory was overwritten.       
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

Offline danand

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 09:26:49 AM »
You can do this with styles. But you can't backup sounds!
And sometimes if the styles contain sounds from the Expansion Pack, yes you "save" the data but since the sounds are missing finally they are useless.

The styles are nothing more than midi data so yes you can backup them.
This is doesn't work with sounds and waveform thoug.

The following users thanked this post: dlepera