Author Topic: Genos 1.4 - Thank you Yamaha  (Read 1013252 times)

Wil5560

Genos 1.4 - Thank you Yamaha
« on: July 09, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »
Inspite of some critical notes / new wishes for the future / or older wishes that maybe remain to stay open, I would like to send a Big Thank You to Yamaha !
Developing and testing and offering an improved firmware is not that easy and for sure we have to see also the various fixes and improvements and new features that are being offered now in 1.4.

I am sure that Yamaha will continue to deliver improvements in the future to the Genos usergroup.

But for now let's communicate also: Thank you Yamaha

regards, Wil

Offline EileenL

Re: Genos 1.4 - Thank you Yamaha
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:16:58 PM »
Hi Wil
  What a nice gesture and I will join you in the Thank You. Yamaha always listens to suggestions and where ever possible will do there best to accommodate but as with all things some suggestions are just not possible.

Lloyd E

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:31:21 PM »

Thanks Yamaha.   Lloyd

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 05:53:43 PM »
I'm not sure I'm getting this right.

One has paid a substantial amount of money for this keyboard, up to $6000 for some
I believe.
Yamaha is only doing what they should have done in the first place, before launching
this keyboard.

Why on earth should we be thanking them.

It's not like they've given us anything for free. They sell additional styles and voices
while other manufacturers do it for free, and update their keyboards more frequently .

Even the Montage is updated with more frequency.
What is wrong with us?

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:21:53 AM by Pianoman »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 07:55:33 PM »
What is wrong with us?

Best Regards.
Abby.

Why do you speak in the plural?
I'm one of those who bought Genos in December 2017 and paid the highest price. As a musician, I've been living for 30 years. I've always had top models of keyboards and I'm never sorry to give money for the instrument. And I thank Yamaha for incorporating the latest technology into Genos and what the instrument sounds superbly.
It should be realistic and accept the fact that nothing in the world is ideal. Especially not a simple keyboard. We always have reasons for dissatisfaction and when we see the world from that angle we live in stress and we are not happy. I'm sorry for the people who think only in such a way. I always look for the nicer and better side of life and that is why I'm going to repeat it again:
thank you Yamaha for Genos.

best regards, ckobu
Watch my video channel

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 11:46:51 PM »
Why in earth should we be thanking them.

Because we’ll get better updates with thanks than complaints.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 12:41:47 AM »
There service and help is second to none and believe me these technical guys are kept really busy helping many out when new products are produced and fall over backwards to help you understand new systems and how they work. Not all things are bugs. There is quite a bit of user error when faced with new technology at first.
Dose not cost anything to say Thank You. In my opinion it is not said enough now days.

tyrosman

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 06:18:10 AM »
id also say a very big thanks to Yamaha for the updates and for this fantastic Genos and can not wait on the next Arranger

beykock

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 08:43:39 AM »
I love to hear Genos owners are finally very happy with Yamaha's latest update ( 1.4 ) and are very thankful too.

Others might have a different opinion. Why not ? 🎺

Take care, Babette

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »
Hi

You thank people for helping you , not businesses. we are paying for that product. Customer comes first.
They should be thanking us for purchasing the keyboard and should therefore support it 100% as reputation is the key.
The update is great.
I am looking forward to Genos 2 like Tyrosman. :)

ALL THE BEST
John :)

Ps We all should be discussing more about the hidden depths of the Genos!! :P This is my opinion only and not to offend.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 09:31:15 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 10:51:08 AM »
Hi

You thank people for helping you , not businesses. we are paying for that product. Customer comes first.
They should be thanking us for purchasing the keyboard

ALL THE BEST

Best opinion I've read so far on this thread.

Yamaha should indeed be thanking us, the customers, for buying their products.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:00:19 PM by Pianoman »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 12:13:14 PM »
Well I for one will say thank you to Martin and his team of R&D for producing such a great new concept
of Genos. If we buy it or not and the price we pay is our choice but as I have said before Yamaha staff work very hard making sure we get the best from it. Always there to help you if you ask them.

Offline panos

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »
Maybe they shouldn't bother producing and developing arranger keyboards in the first place.
They could still sell us something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsRugtuI4TI&t=23s
It has a nice music theme too by the way :)
They could just concentrate their effort on other products which don't require so much development. A grand piano is still a grand piano and you can sell it quite expensive.
Why bothering with a...Genos?  :P

Abby, people are paying to listen to your performance.
So they don't really have to say something llke "Thank you sir! We had a great evening!", right?
If for the last month not a single person told you that he liked your performance will you continue to perform because you still get paid?

beykock

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »
Apparently in the UK Yamaha are helping and supporting their customers very well. I wonder how it will be after the Brexit.

Like many other European countries we depend on their headoffice in Germany. 👅

Not so easy to contact them. Too expensive to call them.

It takes 2-3 days before e-mail answers are coming in.😎
Software orders are confirmed immediately by them.😉

Babette

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 01:51:29 PM »
Well I for one will say thank you to Martin and his team of R&D for producing such a great new concept
of Genos. If we buy it or not and the price we pay is our choice but as I have said before Yamaha staff work very hard making sure we get the best from it. Always there to help you if you ask them.

I don't see why thanks shouldn't flow both ways. Their team did a great job and we supported that with a purchase. Everybody wins. :)
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 02:10:54 PM »

Abby, people are paying to listen to your performance.
So they don't really have to say something llke "Thank you sir! We had a great evening!", right?
If for the last month not a single person told you that he liked your performance will you continue to perform because you still get paid?

Hello Panos.

Yes I will actually, and they don't have to say thank you sir we had a nice evening.

I am paid to perform, not to be thanked. I know when I have done a good job and
when I haven't, and do not need an audience member to tell me so.

Mike (Mikf) said it best in another thread.

He said "Amateurs practice until they can get it right; pros practice until they can't get it wrong"

I jokingly compare it to parachuting out of an airplane, you make sure you never get it wrong.

I practice obsessively to make sure that I never get it wrong.
So even if an audience member says nothing, I'll still know when I have done a good job.
And that is good enough for me.

This might sound like overconfidence, but it's the end result of having done nothing else
but practising playing since I was a kid.

I put in up to 4 hours a day every day in the months when I don't gig so much.
2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night before going to sleep.
I find that learning anything just before going to sleep helps better in memorizing
what you've learned.

Even now I still practice on the one day each week that I'm free from performing,

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 05:00:51 PM by Pianoman »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 04:59:41 PM »
Hi
I would think that you would thank a peformer as he is a human being , but the Genos is an inanimate object. You cannot see the humans behind it, as Yamaha is a collective and someone is getting rich out of it. Also you have shelled a lot of money and it is not cheap.

Tricky both sides of the fence situation.
Who is right and who is wrong "Everybody"!! :P :P :) ;D
We have to be thankful for having a life to appreciate the wonders inside it.
On the other hand it does not cost you anything to say thanks.
Did you thank the Lord when you purchased your first Bontempi   ????? or the Taxman   ;D ;D ;D

All the Best

Personally I would thank Yamaha and a performer, but not the Taxman ::)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 05:16:46 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 05:18:39 PM »
I don’t think they thanked ‘ Genos’. They thanked Yamaha, or rather the team at Yamaha who are definitely human. That’s what most businesses and corporations are at the end of the day, teams of real and ordinary people doing their best.
I sold and delivered products and services to people for which they frequently paid millions, sometimes tens of millions. But that didn’t stop them expressing thanks for a job well done. People like to be paid, but they also liked to be recognized for what they do, and thankfully many people, businesses and corporations do just that. It makes everybody feel what they do matters.
Mike

Offline pjd

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 06:34:26 PM »
Being a former developer, you don't always get a lot of thanks. As the old engineer's joke goes, "Just as I managed to get the system working, they took it away from me and gave me something else to fix."

When I managed teams, I always went out of my way to thank team members. Sometimes they thought I was crazy, but it pays to build up emotional capital with your team members.

Finally, I have met quite a few folks in Yamaha USA marketing and have met a few Yamaha engineers, too. Yes, they are regular people and I'm sure that they could use a little encouragement every now and again. Lord knows, they get enough gripes.  :)

All the best -- pj

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 07:41:25 PM »
Being a former developer, you don't always get a lot of thanks. As the old engineer's joke goes, "Just as I managed to get the system working, they took it away from me and gave me something else to fix."

When I managed teams, I always went out of my way to thank team members. Sometimes they thought I was crazy, but it pays to build up emotional capital with your team members.

Finally, I have met quite a few folks in Yamaha USA marketing and have met a few Yamaha engineers, too. Yes, they are regular people and I'm sure that they could use a little encouragement every now and again. Lord knows, they get enough gripes.  :)

All the best -- pj

The trouble is  if you give your all they always want more. >:(

All we need for Utopia is Sex drink and rock & roll!!!  and prime fillet steak  :P :P :P :P :P ;D
All the best
John
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:46:34 PM by ugawoga »

Offline elad770

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 03:20:21 AM »
Hello to everyone, I have been viewing this forum for years and this is the very first time I want to respond. It is regrettable which comments are posted! I have had the Yamaha Tyros 1 and 5. In the past in 1979-2014 I had Wersi organs Helios, Spectra, Abacus OAS, Scala OAS. now I have the Genos together with a Hammond SK1 73 & Nord Electro 73. The Genos is primarily a music instrument, what is important is the quality of sounds & styles, the operation of the instrument and possibilities. The Genos has succeeded very well and I say Thank you Yamaha! If Yamaha follows this forum, I hope to ignore some of the negative criticism, and to improve the legitimate reports in the future.

You are a member for years and never posted? I prefer to read "negative" comments than to read posts that don't exist!

In regards to your post: Non of the comments in this thread are negative, NON! People have different outlook and views. for example I haven't updated my Genos yet because i'm affraid it will mess up something, I'm both thankgull to Yamaha and critisize of  Yamaha in the same breath. Not a contridiction. I trully idetify with those who purchased this premium product for 6K 7K
and 100% precent agree with the notion that they fixed somethings that should have been done since day one. Korg released an update for the pa4x that dramatically upgraded their instrument with new features - Ill will be more thankful for that. These comments are not regretable. These comments are essential to make things better. If we wouldn't complain and demand better , companies will not work hard to provide you anything better and you'll get stuck in 1979  ;)

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 04:24:35 AM »
I am just curious . . .

I see people thanking Yamaha and others saying no need to thank Yamaha . . .  . . .

Does anyone know (or think) that people at Yamaha read this post anyway . . .  ?

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 05:07:14 AM »
I am just curious . . .

I see people thanking Yamaha and others saying no need to thank Yamaha . . .  . . .

Does anyone know (or think) that people at Yamaha read this post anyway . . .  ?

Thanks

Yes, I think they read the posts here.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 12:18:11 PM »
I guess this thread will soon run it's course and fade away like many other threads
before it.

But before it does I want to ask again.
Why are we thanking a corporation for selling us a product?

And while we are at it, why not throw in our thanks to those that make our speakers,
amplifiers, cables, microphones, keyboard stands, toasters refrigerators, and all the
other home appliances that make our daily lives easier.

I understand that there may be a few voices here whose livelihood may or may
not depend on constantly singing Yamaha's praise no matter what.

But what about the rest of us?  Do we really need to join the chorus?
Am I the only one who sees the anomaly of this?

Have we taken leave of our senses? Don't we have anything better to do than display
this ritual subservience to a corporation?

Some of the people singing praises now are the same people who 2 weeks ago
were saying that the new update 1.4 was unsatisfactory, especially after having
been made to wait so long and then getting all the hype that raised people's
expectations sky high.

That update, when it finally came, of course deflated many people's expectations here.

I can understand thanking a friend or family member for helping one through a crisis
or illness, but a corporation?

My cousin, 6 months younger than me, had a major stroke 3 weeks ago in Hamburg,
Germany.

Naturally he and his family sent flowers and profusely thanked the quick reaction
of the ambulance crew, and especially the excellent doctor for saving his life.

That kind of thank you i can understand.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 01:22:30 PM by Pianoman »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »
I would not compare house hold appliances  unless you can go out and make a living playing a Toaster.
  How do we know who people thank. If you purchase Speakers and you get very good service and advice from the people that sold them to you do you not thank them. I have worked with people all my life and was taught Manners and respect and to appreciate and thank as a young child. Now at 83 I still live by that rule. Surely saying thank you to people you have good service from is not a dirty word.
  Some of the rubbish that has been written about Genos dose not bear thinking about. It is a great keyboard and most who do all the complaining have never posted any music so we can hear what they produce with it. At least most of the people I know do sit down and play it. Some choose to multi track and the results are truly amazing and if you did not know better you would swear you were listening to a full blown Orchestra. So I for one am thankful to have such an instrument.

beykock

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 01:33:49 PM »
Hi Abby :

You are absolutely right it is not usual to thank manufacturers for their ( commercial ) products.

If consumers are pleased or not pleased with the quality, the functions, the looks, the price etc., they normally give the product a number.

It might be interesting to see which number the Genos deserves and why ( short description ).

If all present Genos owners here are ready to give their number ( + short description ), we might better understand why people are happy or unhappy with their Genos.

Abby, I am looking forward to seeing your " result ".😀

Best wishes, Babette

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2019, 01:49:40 PM »
I have worked with people all my life and was taught Manners and respect and to appreciate and thank as a young child.

I believe that all the people posting here have also been taught manners and respect by
their parents.
If not then that would be a big dereliction of duty on the part of any parent.

Aside from semantics that have conveniently left out the other points I was making,
I think that I've tried to present my case quite clearly above, and will not repeat it other
than say that I can understand someone thanking a doctor ( in reference to what I
mentioned in my post above) for saving his life after a major stroke.

Corporations that we have paid a fortune to?  Not so much.

There are people here who really had to struggle to find the money to buy this product,
or any other product for that matter.

Why should they also say "thank you for taking my last penny"

Rereading my post above may offer a better understanding of the point I was trying to
make.

Best Regards.
Abby.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:20:52 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 02:26:07 PM »

I believe that all the people posting here have also been taught manners and respect by
their parents.
If not then that would be a big dereliction of duty on the part of any parent.

Aside from the semantics I think that I've tried to present my point quite clearly above,
and will not repeat it other than say that I understand someone thanking a doctor
for saving his life after a major stroke.

Corporations that we have paid a fortune to?  Not so much.

There are people here who really had to struggle to find the money to buy this product,
or any other product for that matter.

Why should they also say "thank you for taking my last penny"

Abby,

The point we can agree on is we both want better products from corporations. Where we disagree is how to get them.

You've told us the way to better products is to complain (vociferously). I disagree, because constant complaining eventually falls on deaf ears.

In fact, the reason for thanks is not altruistic, but mercenary: we get better products that way.

I got what I wanted from the 1.4 update. How did you do?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »

You've told us the way to better products is to complain (vociferously). I disagree, because constant complaining eventually falls on deaf ears.

Cheers,
Fred

I believe that must be Elad or Vali who said that, not me.
And if I did write something regarding complaining, I doubt that I would have
used the words "complain or vociferously "
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 02:58:25 PM by Pianoman »

Offline pjd

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2019, 02:41:45 PM »
Hi Abby --

I'm not thanking Yamaha the corporate entity, but I am thanking the engineers, tech writers, testers, and every other person who put their personal effort into making this product and its update. Having worked in technical development, I know that there are people who put their heart and soul into a product, sometimes to the detriment of their personal lives.

This isn't too different than the time that I thanked (and tipped) the talented pianist who provided the background for my niece's wedding rehearsal party. Hired? Yes, but I wanted him to know that his playing was appreciated at a personal level. Had a great conversation with the chap, too.

Hope this better explains where I'm coming from -- pj

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2019, 02:50:38 PM »
Hello PJ.

I get your point, especially with you being someone who has worked in the industry
and knows the nitty gritty of what it takes to be in an engineering department.

Sadly some others do not approach this subject from the same position as yours.
I sometimes get upset when people throw logic out of the window.

I always highly appreciate your input.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 03:00:01 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2019, 03:05:08 PM »
sometimes to the detriment of their personal lives.

Excuse me for being OT, Paul, but I met some colleagues acting like this and - in the long run - affecting seriously their health and/or family relations. They don't need thanks, but help, preferably professional. Just my 2 ct.
Regards, Michael

beykock

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2019, 03:14:17 PM »
GENOS

12 POINTS, right ?

;)
Babette

Offline EileenL

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2019, 05:16:32 PM »
Yes for me I will agree with that.

I must add that I don't see any mention of corporations being thanked. I for one am expressing my thanks to all that help us when it is needed and do it in a very kind way at Yamaha. They are people like we are. A little appreciation dose not cost anything.
  Don't forget that when most people retire now days they have a little money to spare and want to take up music again or have a new hobby. What better than a Genos.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2019, 05:52:09 PM »

I must add that I don't see any mention of corporations being thanked.

I respectfully disagree.

Yamaha IS a corporation, and the title of this thread IS "Thank you Yamaha."
And the conversation here does suggest that we should thank that corporation for
whatever crumbs that have been thrown our way.

Why do we have to prostrate ourselves before a corporation and say thank you?
It is not normal.

We owe them nothing. It is we, the customers who have reached deep into our pockets
who deserve to be thanked, by the Yamaha Corporation.

It has been said that Yamaha read this forum regularly.
It would be very kind of them and appropriate if they were to post a big thank you to all
of us here who buy their products.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:34:59 PM by Pianoman »

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:30:53 PM by soundphase »

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 08:03:41 AM »
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline EileenL

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2019, 11:34:10 AM »
Hi Abby,
  Why is it you only quote the part of my posts that suit you to have a go at and not the whole concept.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2019, 12:17:56 PM »
Like most people here, I quote the parts of a post that I conclude are either inaccurate,
or are debatable.

For example, from the extensive argument that I wrote 5 or 6 posts above, the response
you wrote mentioned primarily my suggestion that we should maybe also thank those who
make our speakers, toasters, other household appliances etc.

That suggestion was of course a bit tongue in cheek.

The important points I was trying to make, were conveniently left out, thus reducing
the context of my argument.

Quoting that post in it's entirety would have been more helpful and would have presented
a clearer picture of what I was trying to say.

Other than that, sometimes it's just because of a lack of time, so one quickly responds
to a part they find inaccurate then run off to do something else.

Best Regards.
Abby.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:35:30 PM by Pianoman »

beykock

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »
Like in politics we have to accept people might have different opinions.
Sometimes these differences cannot be solved ... but we have to respect them and move on, I guess.

Keep smiling !😁

Babette
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:08:16 PM by beykock »

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2019, 01:37:57 PM »
Hello Babette.

Hear, Hear.

Best Regards.
Abby.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question
without debating it.

Joseph Joubert.
French Writer 1754 - 1824.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:37:10 PM by Pianoman »

Offline pjd

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2019, 06:25:06 PM »
I sometimes get upset when people throw logic out of the window.

Hi Abby -- I get your point, too. Logically, I don't know what it means to thank a corporate entity?  :) Does one use a legal document?  :)

Excuse me for being OT, Paul, but I met some colleagues acting like this and - in the long run - affecting seriously their health and/or family relations. They don't need thanks, but help, preferably professional. Just my 2 ct.

Hi Michael -- I was one of those people and my health suffered. The details are unimportant, but getting wheel out of the office on a stretcher changed my long-term perspective.  ;) USA tech culture can be rather intense. Dan Lyons' book "Lab Rats" sums it up pretty well.

All the best to everyone -- pj

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2019, 06:40:49 AM »
Hi Abby -- I get your point, too. Logically, I don't know what it means to thank a corporate entity?  :) Does one use a legal document?  :)
I think naive praises and continuous attacks are boring for a lot of Psr tutorial members.

Yamaha’s resources are not extensive, programming such real-time operating system is difficult, and Yamaha’s strategy is clear. For me, if they really wanted their flagship includes awaited high-level features, they would have added them when they reprogrammed the OS for the Genos.
Even without these features, a lot of Genos are sold, the number of youtube videos is huge, and most of us are happy with the Genos. A successful strategy.

For 45 years I have looked at electones and arrangers, each time a new major engine is launched, it’s for me a real source of pleasure as it can be when I listen to professional players like Abby. Even if they are both paid for this, it’s not a problem for me to thank them for the pleasure they provide.

Soundphase

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2019, 05:07:42 PM »
This is off topic but I miss the EQ and Compressor controls of the Tyros 3 which probably were
also the same for the T4 and T5.

They were simpler and actually easier to obtain a good sound.

Especially the Compressor.
I think that it's the thing that bothers me the most from the 2 things that I mentioned above.

I've always considered myself savvy about the Compressor and had tuned it to
 perfection on my T3.

The T3 compressor added a beautiful richness to the overall sound quality and I find
it quite difficult to obtain that richness on the Genos.

Try as I may, I don't hear any audible difference in sound with the Genos compressor,
apart from the rasing or lowering of the general style volume and the strangling of RH
voices. In my opinion it doesn't do much really.

Most times it feels like riding a wild untamable horse when playing on the Genos.

As far as the EQ is concerned, I've been struggling with the settings since February this
year and continue to do so, in search of 1 satisfactory setting that I like and can keep.
I am so far still unsuccessful.

I've tried all the settings suggested here, from Lee, EQ Gold, Norman Fernandez etc.
Lee's settings were the closest to the sound I'm looking for, but I've also been struggling with
them to remove the mid range harshness.

I find that I spend a significant amount of time on these two things during my gigs,
aside from the myriad other things that I have to do with the keyboard with every
song.

I wish that for once someone here will offer a frank and honest opinion about these 2
things, especially the Compressor.

Any suggestions anyone?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 04:07:34 AM by Pianoman »

beykock

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2019, 06:12:27 PM »
Hi Abby :

Did you contact Yamaha and have you explained them
your problems and how they must be solved ?

If not, it might be very useful to contact them directly.

I am sure they are happy to help you out.

Good luck !
Babette

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:19:40 PM by beykock »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2019, 03:06:29 PM »
Most people I know that gig using other mixers and speakers nearly always run there keyboard EQ's on flat They then adjust on the separate mixer when they run there sound checks at the venue. This seems to be the preferred method by many.
  They also use a different set up when playing at home with just the keyboard. I used to do the same.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2019, 07:26:32 PM »
Thanks for the responses Eileen and Babette.
Yes, I do keep my mixer on flat or unity as they sometimes call it.

It is actually the compressor that bothers me the most though.
Tyroses gave one more settings possibilities for fine tuning it.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:30:32 PM by Pianoman »

Offline panos

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2019, 08:33:11 PM »
Abby the compressor is for balancing the dynamics between the sounds.
Let's say that in a band the bass player and the drum player both are playing louder than it should be then the compressor just "cut's" the high volumes.
On a pc I would prefer a normalize function than a compressor but anyway...

In style parts, right and left hand voices etc, we choose while we save the style and the OTS or the registration each one off them how loud it will play.
I don't see why a compressor should change our settings presuming that we don't exaggerate with the sound volumes and we can trust our ears.
We play the song,we test all voices to see that they sound good and then we save the settings.We can even record our playing and sit comfortably and relaxed and listen to it, to see how it sounds.

I also never liked mid range frequencies much on any EQ setting(even if it is my car's audio system) so I always keep them slightly lower.
Especially for my keyboard where there is no singer but just organs.
And always preferred the "V" shape equalizer or kind of an "M" shape.
I can see people using other kinds of EQ settngs.
OK it's a matter of taste probably?
Not mine for sure.
I prefer instead of altering the high EQ or the Bass EQ too much, to add effects like EQ high and EQ low, brightness and harmonic content to all sounds,
That means to each style part and to all right & left hand voices individually and not relying that I will change the master EQ and suddenly everything will sound e.g "brighter".
To my opinion no.
There will be several annoying and disturbing sounds with the new settings.

The problem of the sound with the different venues or if it sounds good on other systems,or on Youtube etc. it's another matter.
First we must make sure that the sounds from our keyboard itself are coming out as we want them to be.

Hope you will find the sound that you like soon.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:34:27 PM by panos »

beykock

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2019, 08:37:24 PM »
Hello Abby :

I have the impression ( maybe I am wrong ? ) the Genos is not your favourite arranger keyboard.😒

You explained here why you were " forced " to buy a Genos.

Perhaps you like the Tyros much more, am I right or wrong ?

It is up to you ( nobody else ! ) to make the right decision, I guess.

Good luck !
Babette

Offline soryt

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2019, 09:13:21 PM »
the compressor on the Genos is the worst ever , youre right it isnt real effective .

Maybe Yamaha wil come with a real update next time  8)

Soryt  ::)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber