Author Topic: Length of Style variations  (Read 3861 times)

Seagull29

Length of Style variations
« on: July 07, 2019, 04:15:06 PM »
Hi,
I discovered, by chance while trying to make a song style on a DAW from a midi file, that we could make a variation of a superior length to 32 measures on all the variation except on the Fill and the Break. From what I saw, we can go up to 128 measures,  maybe more (to check). I do not know yet what it could be used for, perhaps to make series of song styles, but it may be of interest to some who like to hack a bit. If you have interesting uses, do not hesitate to share them. I suppose, moreover, that it must be the same thing on the Genos since the Style Creator is exactly the same basically as on the T5.
Have fun and good Sunday.  ;D 8)
Seagull29

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Length of Style variations
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »
For Styles

Intro Ending and Variation can be 32 Bars Each. 

Fill and Break is 1 bar. 

Standard for Tyros and PSR S.
I'm not sure about the other Keyboards.
Regards Norman!
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 05:32:17 PM »
Yes you certainly can my friend.
More than 4 bars can be used to make a style more "interesting" and mostly for song specific styles.
While creating a style from scratch is rather difficult, we can copy the already existed 4 bars of the style to the next 4 or 8 or even 28(too many,we don't want to create a ....midi :)) if we wish.

Let's say you choose 8 bars for the style.
Then as long as the bars 1-4 are identical to bars 5-8 and of course you don't want that,
you can insert a different sound to bar 5.
E.g piano sound for bars 1-4,guitar sound for bars 5-8.
Two different sounds at the same part of the style.

If you don't want the same riff for bars 5-8 go to another style,pick a riff that you believe that will match with your 1-4 bars,take a snapshot with your tablet or I-pad and go to bars 5-8 and put the same notes at the same timing as they were on the other style.
Now you have one riff for bars 1-4 and a different riff for bars 5-8.
(The keyboard can assembly whole parts of a style but not individual bars.So before we test whether it sounds good or not we must do this precedure first)

If you want you can copy bars 1-4 to bars 5-8 and add notes or delete notes or move notes
to make it sound a little different.

All of these  can be done by using style creator's "pattern length","assembly" function,"bar copy" and "edit" tab.

About 4/4 rhythms:
The first bar has a measure between 001:1:0000 and 001:1:1919
So this is the length(time) of a whole note= 1919
The quarter note has a length of 0480 (1919/4=480)

So the first beat of a bar is 001:1:0000
Second beat                      001:1:0480   
Third beat                         001:1:0960
Fourth beat                       001:1:1440

First beat of the second bar is 002:1:0000
and so on...

Olly Woo has made a tutorial also about these things on Youtube.
I don't have a Genos but I watch them.
There might be a feature,a function,a "trick",or a "workaround" with something that I have missed about what I can do with my psr.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 12:23:46 PM »
Most Free styles use this amount of bars so that it enables you to play rubato in places.