Author Topic: whats next  (Read 4927 times)

marc1956

whats next
« on: July 06, 2019, 10:08:20 AM »
after playing with great satisfaction on my second hand PSR E403 I'm ready to buy something advanced.

What I mis at the moment is a smooth changing of voices and a very nice almost original Hammond sound.
I do not need a Genos or Tyros5. I never gonna perform on stages.
I play only for myself.

What is a nice keyboard for me. I don't see the wood  trough the trees anymore ( in Dutch: ik zie door de bomen het bos niet meer).

Marc

SeaGtGruff

Re: whats next
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 11:33:01 AM »
I have a secondhand YPT-400, which is exactly the same as the PSR-E403 except for their names. I think the YPT-400 is a lot of fun to play, so I'm not surprised that you've gotten great satisfaction from your PSR-E403. :)

Given your familiarity and satisfaction with the PSR-E403, the most logical suggestion might at first seem to be to get the PSR-E463 or PSR-EW410, which are very similar to the PSR-E403 but with more voices and styles, as well as twice as many registration buttons and memories, plus patterns or "grooves" (first added on the PSR-E433), a sampling feature, some DSP effects, and the ability to use a USB flash drive.

Another option-- if you don't want to spend a lot of money-- might be the PSR-S670, which has the ability to install Voice & Style Expansions.

However, if you're especially interested in Hammond organ sounds, you might want to consider a different brand. Personally, I'm very interested in the Studiologic Numa Compact 2x, although I've never seen or heard or played one in person.

This is a Yamaha-oriented forum, so I don't wish to be perceived as discouraging anyone from buying a Yamaha keyboard, but I like that the Numa Compact 2x includes a tone-wheel organ sound engine and nine drawbars, as well as a virtual synth sound engine, in addition to the usual stereo-sampled sound engine-- plus, it has a semi-weighted keyboard with 88 keys, including aftertouch, and built-in speakers.

You would probably get a better Hammond drawbar tone-wheel organ sound from the Numa Compact 2x than from Yamaha's arrangers, unless you spend a lot more money to get a Tyros or Genos, or maybe a MODX synth.

Now, if you really don't want to spend as much money as a Numa Compact 2x would cost, another option might be to upgrade to the PSR-E463 or PSR-EW410, connect it to your computer, and use the keyboard as a controller to play virtual instruments or VIs. There are a number of VIs that provide a decent Hammond simulation, and the cost of one of those programs plus a new PSR-E463 might be more in line with your desired budget. The PSR-E463 and PSR-EW410 can send and receive audio over the USB connection, so you could have the computer send the sounds generated by the VIs to the PSR-E463 keyboard so the VIs' sounds will come out of the keyboard's speakers.

marc1956

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 03:26:40 PM »
Thanks.
I didn't  know that you can play virtual instruments trough your  Yamaha instrument that is connected with a PC>

To go further about what I'm trying to pay for a new keyboard;  That would be around € 1000 - 1500.

Can I buy something "great" with that money.
It may also be second hand.

Marc

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 04:33:05 PM »
Did you really mean1000 Euro and not 100 Euro.

With that budget, from the Yamaha range buy an S775.

Loads of voices and functions, including the hammond drawbar simulation.

Offline ton37

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 06:38:36 PM »
Or when you prefer more custom voices/packs, than a larger expansionmemory can be useful: just like DerekA said, but than (a secondhand) S975 is an option for that money? But that's up to you ...
My best regards,
Ton

marc1956

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 07:10:18 PM »
Did you really mean1000 Euro and not 100 Euro.

With that budget, from the Yamaha range buy an S775.

Loads of voices and functions, including the hammond drawbar simulation.

Yes, 1000 Euro. I bought my 403 for 100euro.
Gonna look on youtube for the S775 maybe S 975

Marc
Marc

Offline andyg

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 09:31:44 PM »
Any of the PSR-S9xx series is where I'd be looking. Some S900's had screen issues (mine was very well used for teaching and is still going strong with a student!) S910 brought in a better screen, SFF2 capability and the ability to sync start multipads. S950 brought in a different beastie but I was not tempted. S970 is s superb used buy (that's what I bought) and though some people swear that the sound is boomy, a tweak of the EQ can sort that. S975 has more sounds in the 'Plus' section but nothing that I wanted, so I bought that used S970 instead of a new S975 and saved myself around £1000.

Reliability? We all go from our own experiences, but I've not had a problem with any Yamaha keyboard in all the years I've had one (that's a LONG time!) and only one student had a screen replacement done (PSR3000), so they're as reliable and robust as they come.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

marc1956

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 03:21:04 PM »
just looked at  YouTube and indeed that S 970 is a beautifull keyboard.
Thanks.

Marc