Author Topic: Lost Keys  (Read 5940 times)

mick47willis

Lost Keys
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:35:31 AM »
Gday...not sure but my PSR E433 might have carked it.
Seems i am losing keys...play E's on most octaves and its nothing.
You can actually play it and they work then it doesn't...its intermittent.
I remember reading i can reset my keyboard somehow...or is their nothing i can do.
cheers mick

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Lost Keys
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 08:42:31 AM »
Trouble with E keys on all the Octaves??
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

mick47willis

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 09:48:27 AM »
No 3 octaves from middle C up

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 10:15:59 AM »
It could probably be Carbon build up.
Or the rubber,

Cubase - Kontakt6

mick47willis

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »
Anyway of fixing the problem that you know?

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 10:56:55 AM »
Open it up and clean the contacts.

mick47willis

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 11:33:33 PM »
Okay thanks..does the manual  tell you  how to clean the  contacts?

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 11:41:40 PM »
I would try a soft reset first. You do that by holding down the rightmost white key while powering up the keyboard. Opening the instrument voids the warranty, but if that has expired you could try to clean the contacts. Or have it serviced.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

mick47willis

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 02:48:00 AM »
Tried reset...worked a few times then clunk...No luck

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 04:58:10 AM »
If it's not too expensive,
Ask the local store to do a clean up for all the keys,

They would have a better hands and Experience.
This could help the keyboard last longer.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 07:42:02 AM »

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Mikk

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 02:10:43 AM »
The advice you have been getting about dirty contacts, I suggest you ignore.

From what you have said that it is only "e" keys. That is a pattern  and will not  be dirty contacts.
Dirty contacts usually show up as random keys.

Your problem sounds like a chip/resistor/capacitor problem. (Electronic issue).
This can show up when a keyboard is fairly new. When a FAULTY COMPONENT  is replaced. You will likely never have any more trouble.

After electronic components are produced, they are all tested and then they are graded.
 for example "Bose" only use top of the grade components. this is one reason why "Bose" equipment is so expensive and their components are not likely to ever fail.

Many electronic  items which are cheap often have 3rd and 4th grade components in them and will often fail after a certain time.  I doubt that Yamaha use the first grade components in their lower priced Keyboards.

If you cannot do electronic testing on your keyboard, I suggest you talk to a technician that  actually does  know what they are doing.

Note that this can  apply to any set of keys.

Quote from:- Cloudwo1f

all d keys on yamaha keyboard unresponsive

Hi there. I took a break from playing keyboard and recently decided to start playing it again. I plugged my Yamaha keyboard in and noticed all the d keys do not work. If I keep playing the d key it will eventually play the note although it will play it as though I had hammered the note down even though I am only tapping it.

I've opened it up and cleaned all the dust out but it's still not working. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I've heard of people changing specific keys out when they're broken but the fact that it's ALL the d keys makes me think it's a wiring issue.

Quote from:-   nm1000

I've found some schematics and some of the Yamaha keyboards do group the D keys (within the key switch matrices) together so that certain kinds of failures would affect all of the D keys. They all share a "pull-up" resistor and a "de-bounce" capacitor.

A failed capacitor, that shorted internally, for the D "lower switch" group could cause the keyboard controller to read those switches as always closed. The whenever the upper switch closes the computer would see both keys closed and calculate that the key was pressed very (infinitely) fast and generate a maximally loud note. However I can’t quite see how that same defective capacitor could keep a note from sounding. At least not yet...

IMO, to explain both behaviors would require more than one component failing, which seems too coincidental; unless they are grouped closely together as a key switch and it's associated diode. That still seems like a long shot.

Perhaps there is a way that a failed capacitor could explain all of this -- I'll think about that more.

A broken wire (within a ribbon cable) could keep the D keys from sounding. Such a defect could be intermittent. But that doesn't explain everything by itself.

In the mean time...

If I keep playing the d key it will eventually play

Do all of the d keys behave, more or less, alike in that regard. Does just one of them occasionally sound? If you hold one down, can you get others to sound more or less frequently.

If you are up for it, experiment a little bit. See if some keys will sound more than others. Hold down one D key and try the others to see if it affects how often they sound. Do that for each D key.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:51:25 AM by Mikk »
I Believe in the K.I.S.S. Principle.

There is no cloud. It is storage space
                     on someones computer.

mick47willis

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 06:45:43 AM »
Wow mikk.. Thanks for that...will have a closer look.
It did cross my mind that 3 E keys would coincidentally  have dust under them.
Looks like I will grab out my old 233 and get a tech to look  at the 433

mick47willis

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 07:25:18 AM »
Actually have just noticed that the E note fails  more consistently whenever I use the bflat key??

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 07:53:01 AM »
As it has been said, that behaviour is consistent with an electronic fault. As keys are read by a row/column matrix, one faulty component affects to several keys. If you are capable of working on it, I could check the schematics to try to find out the offending component. If not, leave it to a pro
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)