Author Topic: Genos problems after 1.4 upgrade  (Read 17611 times)

Offline panos

Re: Genos problems after 1.4 upgrade
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2019, 07:32:48 PM »
Pierre are you using a registration to move from one style to another and maybe is something there which tells the keyboard to change the dsp's of the Right hand voices?

Just a thought.
how can a style control or change the Right hand voices without pressing the OTS?
That's not suppose to happen in any model.It is weird.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:36:13 PM by panos »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2019, 10:48:35 PM »
I have done the update and certainly don't have this problem.

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2019, 07:42:24 AM »
Hey!
Ex.1.Started a midifil with Patsy Clines Crazy and would compare if I could find a style for it, found CountrySwingBallad which is rather like I thought.
Started playing the midi file then I just loaded the style (while playing the midi file) CountrySwingBallad, then the DSPs changed too, so it shouldn't be,
must be wrong that the styles DSP should control the midi file, so it has never been with Tyros.
Try it yourself if it does the same in your Genos, sends with the midi file, the style are available in Geno's cat. Country.
Ex.2.Load in the style South of the border9000 choose OTS 3 guitar sound, then load CountrySwingBallad.
You do not have to start the style to hear how the DSP changes just load.

Greetings Pierre

[attachment deleted by admin]
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2019, 09:20:07 AM »
Hi Pierre

Ex1: The MIDI File sets Reverb=Hall1 and Chorus=Chorus6. Upon loading style CountrySwingBallad these settings change to RealLargeHall+ resp. Chorus3. This is the normal behaviour found in Yamaha arrangers. There was no change for the keyboard voices or any DSPs assigned to them.

Ex2: The Style South of the border9000 sets Reverb=Hall2 and Chorus=Chorus2. OTS3 sets Right1 to a WarmSolid guitar, where a Delay/Echo insertion effect is assigned. Again, upon loading style CountrySwingBallad the system effects Reverb and Chorus settings change to RealLargeHall+ resp. Chorus3. There was no change for the right voice or its assigned DSP.

As I said above upon loading a style the system effects may change. This is intended behaviour, because when you load a style you expect to hear the style as mixed by the style designer. System effects - as the name implies - do affect the keyboard voices, too. This is not a bug, rather system effects are designed to work this way. In your example RealLargeHall+ is quite different from Hall1. So there is no suprise, you should adjust the Reverb and Chorus Send Levels of the Guitar Voice. You may even change the Reverb Type, after all it's a matter of taste and the sound you're looking for.

Hope that helps.
Michael
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:22:02 AM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2019, 04:22:14 PM »
Hey Michael!
I never thought that the DSP was so in Tyros, or am I wrong?

// Pierre

Offline Al Ram

Re: Genos problems after 1.4 upgrade - OK now
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2019, 04:36:23 AM »
Hello Friends

To provide an update.

I have been playing the Genos for several sessions/hours (not continuously) and could not replicate the initial problems reported.  So, it may have been an 'adjustment' to the new 1.4 upgrade.   Things seem to be OK now.

I just have one question, if anyone know . . . Please see attached pic . . .

There is a 'lock' icon now on the style section . . . .  i do not know what this means . .  does anyone know ?

thanks in advance. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

beykock

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2019, 09:42:09 AM »
Hi Al Ram,

Good news. 😀
Nice to hear your update 1.4 installation problems have been solved.👍

How did you manage to solve this problem ?
Might be very useful information for others who are dealing with that problem too, I guess.

Babette

Offline robinez

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2019, 09:48:21 AM »

I just have one question, if anyone know . . . Please see attached pic . . .

There is a 'lock' icon now on the style section . . . .  i do not know what this means . .  does anyone know ?
that's the tempo lock function, you can assign that function to a generic button if you want.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2019, 05:51:43 PM »

How did you manage to solve this problem ?

Babette

I really did not do anything.    The problem fixed itself.   I believe this was a fluke and want to think that Genos was just adjusting to the new update.   (for lack of a better explanation).

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2019, 05:53:39 PM »
that's the tempo lock function, you can assign that function to a generic button if you want.

It makes sense.  Thanks a lot.  It is a great function that i use when trying/testing different styles without changing tempo.

Now i know that is the tempo lock.

thanks again. 
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2019, 09:34:48 PM »
Hi Pierre

I never thought that the DSP was so in Tyros, or am I wrong?

It has been so as long as I'm involved in Yamaha arrangers which happen to be 20 years (PSR/Tyros/Genos). Keep in mind that very often there may be only a subtle change in effects when you change styles, so you don't really recognized that in the past. Maybe you just experienced now a case with Genos where this change is more pronounced.

BUT - there may be a second reason. I recall from my T3 that at that time there were some voices which inserted it's own reverb effect and didn't use the system effect for reverberation! In that case you may readily select a different style and it won't change the sound of the keyboard voice. Now, I failed to find a Genos voice which is programmed like that. Maybe the Genos sound designers changed their philosophy about that, which would make sense to me. I never understood the idea of inserting reverb effects which would be independent from the style context to be used. At the end of the day, IMHO it's OUR job as arranger users to make our selection of style and keyboard voices to our liking, then apply the effects and make a mix the sounds good. Of course you may use the OTS voices that come with a style. They are professionally programmed, but for sure the programmer had some songs/ideas in mind. Maybe you're targeting a very different sound, but then it's your job to develop a decent mixing.

Bottom line is, it MIGHT be true, that with Genos you're now more likely to experience sound changes with the keyboard voices when changing the style. I can't back up this with hard facts and examples, just use my memory when I was playin' the T3 and checking a limited number of Genos voices today. But don't worry, it makes sense. As soon as you select a style, it comes with its own selection of system effects. It should sound as the style programmer intended, which makes sense. Adjust your keyboard voices after selecting the style. Make a decent mix and use the effect power of Genos, which really set it apart from the competition. It's a challenge for newbies, I had a hard time as a beginner, but it's a lot of fun, too.

Hope it makes sense to you and have fun with Genos.

Michael

Regards, Michael

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2019, 07:57:55 AM »
Hey Michael!
I have made a reggis with my favorite sounds so I do not use OTS.
Still think it is stupid that the style should change the settings. This means that I have to reprogram all styles that I will use and save in user.

// Pierre