Author Topic: New to the 975 and some questions  (Read 5532 times)

pka4916

New to the 975 and some questions
« on: June 30, 2019, 02:19:55 AM »
Hello,
After 15 years I picked up playing again, and bought me a PSR-S975

Been playing around with it for the last 2 days, and I cannot seem to find a few items. 

1. Can I set some instruments under some kind of shortcut for easy access? (like a top 5 of my most used instruments).
    I did a save on the keyboard and it looks like it also saves the music style and other settings from the board.  so I am sure I am not doing it right
    With all the new options, that didn't exist 15 years ago lol.

2.  When I play a midi file, and I want to turn off a channel from the file, can I do that on the keyboard and save the new midi, or do I need to go into Cakewalk etc,  to turn the volume down or remove the track.?

3. Am I correct that the Firmware is still V1.0 for the keyboard

4. I noticed that when I play a midi file,  and want to play along, that the volume is really soft.  is there a way to turn that up?   It feels like the volume for the midi songs are like 200 and the right hand is only like 10.  I can't seem to find any buttons for it.

5. for the instruments, I have like a right 1 and right 2, but not really hearing the difference for it. (i probably need to study the guide better)
and last
6. When I play with the right hand, sometimes the tone keeps playing,  and need to press the foot pedal to make it stop..  kinda puzzled with the :/

Thank your for reading, and looking forward to everything here on the forum :)

Offline Fred Smith

Re: New to the 975 and some questions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 04:01:01 AM »
1. Yes. Use a registration to store your favorite voices.

2. You can, in the mixing console.

3. Don't know.

4. You need to adjust the balance. Again, I'm not sure exactly where this is on your keyboard, but that's what you are looking for.

5. Use Voice Select (the button above the voice button) to get you into a menu where you can make all kinds of changes to a voice, including its volume.

6. This would be a voice setting which can be adjusted.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 04:45:37 AM »
pka4916. Welcome. We have all gone through your frustrations when we first purchased a keyboard.
On this forums home page very top bar lists PSR/TYROS LESSONS, this a good starting point. Take small steps and you will fine fine.
This is a great forum with many members to help you.
Take your time and if all fails spend some time with the manual.
May I suggest you fill in more Profile details (Area you are from) you may have a member living near-by, also are we replying to a 16 year old or 80 years old ?.

graham uk.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 04:49:16 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

pka4916

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 05:52:24 AM »
Thank you,
I will update my profile :)
I'm not 80 yet  ;D

As for 1,  I did that (if that was where you have the 8 buttons where you can store the settings under)   But I had the problem, If I was playing a song, and selected a different button,  the song changed too. 

I will look into the lessons :)

I forgot to mention, that I created some packs with the .ppf format,  but it seems that it's not recognized when i put the usb stick into the keyboard.  seems like it's only doing ppi files
I cannot transfer from my pc to the Keyboard, since it's in a totally different area. 
Is USB not going to be an option?  since my understanding was (if i read the manual) you can save it to USB and then load it.

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 06:52:51 AM »
Hi my Friend,
When you push the white memory button a pop up window is always asking you if you what do you want to save to the registration.
Uncheck everything there, except things like the VOICE,the HARMONY,the PEDAL.
Afterwards press the desired registration button (1,2,3-8) and then ALWAYS save the registration (J button and save)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 10:17:59 AM »
Hello, re #5 - R1 and R2.

There is no actual difference between them. They are two completely independent voices. You use them to create layers by having one voice on R1 and another on R2. Use the Balance button to set the relative volumes.

It really makes no difference if you use R1 or R2 for a solo voice, but generally people use R1 when they just want one.

This is a bit different from other keyboard models which use the idea of a 'dual' voice which is some way connected to a 'main' voice. You can freely change what's assigned to R1 and R2 without affecting the other one.
Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 10:40:15 AM »
You can also just save your favorite voices to User by copy and paste.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 01:59:56 PM »
You will need to download the Yamaha Expansion Memory programme to your computer so that you can l install your PPF files into this. From there you can chose what packs you want to load and create an install pack which you save to USB. You then load this file into the keyboard. You will then access them via your user section.

pka4916

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 02:56:04 PM »
You will need to download the Yamaha Expansion Memory programme to your computer so that you can l install your PPF files into this. From there you can chose what packs you want to load and create an install pack which you save to USB. You then load this file into the keyboard. You will then access them via your user section.

I saw in a different post  also  the "user" section.
So I must  be at the wrong place.
I am going into Function and then install packs.  but not finding it.
When I click on USB and select the folder,  i don't get any options either.

Adam775

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »
6. When I play with the right hand, sometimes the tone keeps playing,  and need to press the foot pedal to make it stop..  kinda puzzled with the :/

Check the foot pedal polarity, it might be reversed.

I forgot to mention, that I created some packs with the .ppf format,  but it seems that it's not recognized when i put the usb stick into the keyboard.  seems like it's only doing ppi files
I cannot transfer from my pc to the Keyboard, since it's in a totally different area. 
Is USB not going to be an option?  since my understanding was (if i read the manual) you can save it to USB and then load it.

You cannot install ppf files directly to the keyboard. You need to convert them to ppi first using the Yamaha Expansion Manager and your InstrumentInfo .n27 file from your keyboard.
If I'm not wrong, the resulting ppi file has to be placed in the root folder on a USB stick.