Author Topic: Can the S975 play an mp3 song while I sing and also play the keyboard?  (Read 6987 times)

Offline mches56

I own an S950 and I have created songs that I play along with and also sing.  I am considering a new S975?  Can the S975 play a pre-recorded mp3 file, such as sold by Karaoke Version, and then I also play along using the keyboard and then sing using a mike.  I plan on live performing using the Karaoke Version back ground music.  Can the S975 be used in such a fashion?  Will the keyboard sound in tune with the mp3? 

Offline DrakeM

Your S950 can do that now also.

You shouldn't have to buy Karaoke files, just about every Popular song is posted over at YouTube. Just get the URL of a Karaoke version of the song you want from YouTube and paste it into this site and download the MP3. Take that MP3, put it on a USB stick and play it on your keyboard using the WAV player. Play along with the MP3 and see if it works for you. If you can't get it to work like you want on your S950, it ain't gonna work for you with any other keyboard either.

https://ytmp3.cc/

Regards
Drake

The following users thanked this post: alanclare, Mikk

Offline mches56

Thanks for the reply.  Can I record the result at the same time and store the recorded song for future use?  Mark 

Offline DrakeM

Nope. You can either Play an MP3 or you can Record an MP3 file. You can not do both at the same time with a PSR keyboard.

What you can do is call the MP3 Karaoke file up on your PC and then Play along with the it on you Keyboard and record your playing.

Then use the free Audacity Program (here is the link)

https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

You can then take the MP3 file of you playing and the MP3 Youtube karaoke file into Audacity and create the kind of Mix you are wanting to create. Pretty simple to do.  ;)

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:48:38 PM by DrakeM »

Saulim

Re: Can the S975 play an mp3 song while I sing and also play the keyboard?
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 10:39:49 PM »
You can download the song with https://www.freeonlineconverter.org

Live Musician Newbie

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 10:09:15 AM »
Nope. You can either Play an MP3 or you can Record an MP3 file. You can not do both at the same time with a PSR keyboard.

PSR S975 only records as WAV files. It doesn't record as MP3

Can the S975 play a pre-recorded mp3 file, such as sold by Karaoke Version, and then I also play along using the keyboard and then sing using a mike.  I plan on live performing using the Karaoke Version back ground music.
You should be able to.

Will the keyboard sound in tune with the mp3? 
Tough question to answer unless you explain what 'in tune' means.
You can adjust / tinker around the following settings on your playback mp3
- Volume
- Playback Speed
- Pitch Shift
- Center Cancel (Cancels the center portion of your stereo sound)

All this , along with adjusting the balance of PSR's own sounds and "mic in" setup should get you the desired results.

Can I record the result at the same time and store the recorded song for future use?  Mark
Both with the Internal Player  .NO.
You can either play, or record, not both.

If you want to record the performance of your keyboard along with your karaoke MP3 a possible work around would be to have an external audio player that plays back your Karaoke file.
Say an external audio player / your mobile phone etc
- Connect your player output into the Aux-In of the PSR
- Connect your Mic to the Mic-In of the PSR
- Plug in a USB to hold your recorded file.
- Switch on the PSR,
- Arrange your keyboard
- Check your levels of the Player Mic Keyboard etc ..
- Launch the USB audio player (Top right switch)
- Hit record
- Start your audio playback, use your mic and play along.
- Once your performance is done, go to the player (Top right switch) and hit stop.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 10:21:41 AM by Live Musician Newbie »

Offline alanclare

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »
Your S950 can do that now also.

You shouldn't have to buy Karaoke files, just about every Popular song is posted over at YouTube. Just get the URL of a Karaoke version of the song you want from YouTube and paste it into this site and download the MP3. Take that MP3, put it on a USB stick and play it on your keyboard using the WAV player. Play along with the MP3 and see if it works for you. If you can't get it to work like you want on your S950, it ain't gonna work for you with any other keyboard either.

https://ytmp3.cc/

Regards
Drake

I get the message, "We are sorry. This service is not available in your country."

The conversion I used is Easy YouTube to Mp3 Converter.

Alan
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 10:20:35 AM by alanclare »

Offline alanclare

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 12:58:51 PM »
This is what I love about this forum. I read this thread - and there's lots of things that are totally outside my experience. It's opened up yet another set of skills to be learned, experienced, and enjoyed. It's not yet lunchtime and already I've:

1) Converted a YouTube karaoke piano accompaniment to an MP3 (Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas)
2) Opened the MP3 in Audacity on my laptop
3) Changed the tempo and pitch to something with which I can singalong
4) Used the mic on my s970 to record my singing along with the laptop
5) Copied the WAV of my singing on to the laptop and opened it as a new track underneath the MP3 piano track
6) Aligned the voice and the piano and reduced the piano volume
7) Exported it all as an MP3 and uploaded it to Box

and here it is: https://app.box.com/s/i5cng3w9lp6gbtxpw3ak9azi0nizbhy5

Listen to the words and think how apposite they ar for the times in which we live?

Alan