Author Topic: My new S975 from PSR S710  (Read 5648 times)

markchapman1976

My new S975 from PSR S710
« on: June 27, 2019, 08:16:56 PM »
So today I got my new PSR S975 and I'm over the moon. Initially it was and is still strange especially hearing super articulated voices from somebody who has never had that feature and I'm trying to understand it all how to play them etc. Can anybody relate to the initial strangeness in sound difference? It takes a while to get used to but I'm loving the keyboard so far after first 5 hours.

Offline DerekA

Re: My new S975 from PSR S710
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 09:11:33 PM »
Yes I think that the difference in sound quality is real between these two models.

I think that the biggest factor in the 'different' sound is that the S975 can apply the full set of available DSP types to the panel voices.  The S710 can only apply a much smaller selection of DSP types. This makes the S975 voices sound much more 'alive' and interesting.

The S975 also uses a newer tone generator which includes a 7-band EQ, as opposed to a 5-band EQ, which will colour the sound a little differently.
Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 09:58:23 PM »
Yes, I absolutely can relate to this!! I had a PSR 2100 for 14 years before I got my S970. It took a while to get used to the difference. I have the S975 now, and love it. But it was simpler to play a keyboard with fewer features :)
Enjoy your new baby. It will grow on you!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Pino

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 03:17:38 AM »
The s975 is a brilliant instrument, has everything you need to make good music, I find that the USB recorder a big plus when learning a new song, record the song from ‘YouTube’ directly to the keyboard, take out the vocals, transpose the song to what key you want to play and slow down the tempo to whats comfortable for learning a new song, a great feature, then it’s there for recording your new song again when you finished learning,
Happy playing

TORIL
I must congratulate you on your YouTube channel,
It’s got good music and very colourful,
I enjoyed everything you did there
Well done
Pino

Offline ton37

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 08:52:49 AM »
….. take out the vocals, transpose the song to what key you want to play and slow down the tempo to whats comfortable for learning a new song, a great feature ......
Hi @Pino, I'm very curious how you have done that. Would you be so kind to specify those steps as I have the PSR975 recently and still learning to get the most of it. Or maybe you could open a new post with the steps needed to do this?
Thanks i.a.

@markchapman1976: congrats on your new kb!
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 09:02:35 AM »
Pino, thanks for the kind words about my channel!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

markchapman1976

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 12:11:12 PM »
Hi @Pino, I'm very curious how you have done that. Would you be so kind to specify those steps as I have the PSR975 recently and still learning to get the most of it. Or maybe you could open a new post with the steps needed to do this?
Thanks i.a.

@markchapman1976: congrats on your new kb!

I found when I tried to change the pitch/key or tempo of a WAV file the sound was weird. Is this normal? Thanks

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
Changing the pitch and/or tempo of a WAV file is done by processing the wave in the file through some complex maths. It's not a trivial thing to do and there is no 'correct' way to do it that guarantees perfect results.

So instead, there are a lot of different approaches to doing it. Some are very complex, and get good results, but take a lot of processing power and time. Others are quick-and-dirty : they run in real time, and get results that vary in quality depending on what the original WAV file was like.

So in summary - the onboard pitch/tempo shift function should be seen as an convenience, not a professional grade function. The more extreme the shift, the more unstable the result.

Pino

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 12:44:54 PM »
Yes, it’s not perfect but just for the sake of learning a new song it’s handy,
You don’t need to use the pitch change , you can transpose the keyboard to the song key.

I find a whole usb player a big plus, just being able to record a song directly from YouTube and play the song from point A to B and repeat, in itself, a perfect learning feature and to be able to slow down the tempo a little is a big +++✅

Pino
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 12:54:19 PM by Pino »

Offline ticktock

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 01:55:51 PM »
Hi Pino,
Congratulation on your new KB
You mentioned below that being able to record from Youtube. I'm wondering does it mean you can record music directly from internet/Youtube to the s975?
Ted

Pino

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »
Hi Ted
Yes, you can record directly from any source.
Not many players know this and take advantage of it
I’m not sure of the memory limits but you could record a whole album
Name it and save it and move it back onto another device like your mobile.

I connect a 3.5mm cable from my iPad or mobile ‘headphone out’ directly to the ‘Aux In’ S975
Choose your song from YouTube
Start the recorder and start the YouTube song
Stop the recorder at the end and save

Great for learning songs or just getting some songs from YouTube.

Pino
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 02:16:03 PM by Pino »

The following users thanked this post: DerekA, ticktock

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 02:23:14 PM »
Yes, you can record directly from any source.
I’m not sure of the memory limits but you could record a whole album

This is also a great way to grab audio chunks for audio multipads, like "Ah Mr Bond ... I've been expecting you" :)
Genos