Author Topic: Multi pad Syncing  (Read 6390 times)

melokeyz

Multi pad Syncing
« on: June 22, 2019, 04:05:14 AM »
Hello my friends,

I created  4 multi pads using MIDI recording and I can't get them synced with each other. I use these multi pads as phrase loops when recording. Settings are very limited in the M.pad creator screen. I've tried to look for a setting to edit the timing between each but couldn't find. I am not yet a fully expert in step editing but I feel that the solution in it.

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Multi pad Syncing
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 05:20:18 AM »
If the Midi notes are correct....

All you need to do is,
Hit Sync and select the Multi Pads

This can be saved onto the Registration.

As soon as you hit a Chord they will play.

Hope this helps you!
Regards Norman!
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »

All you need to do is,

By "hit sync", Norman means the sync button to the left of the mp buttons. Hold it down while you select an mp. You can select all 4 at once. The mp buttons will flash.

A flashing mp button means it will start when you press a left hand chord.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

melokeyz

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 08:32:45 PM »

Thx Norman

Yes, MIDI notes were recorded correctly. I recorded each Pad on the same tempo with the correct timing. However, one of the Pads is playing faster than the other ones. I tried the sync button with that Pad but not felt any effect. I don't use the Pads accompanied with LH chord but I mainly use them as phrase loops in audio recording.

Will try the sync button again.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 09:15:10 PM »
Are you using the Start button for the style player.  If not then the Multi Pads won't sync to the internal MIDI clock.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

melokeyz

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 09:44:11 PM »
Are you using the Start button for the style player.  If not then the Multi Pads won't sync to the internal MIDI clock.

Joe H

Joe,

Ok let me explain more what is the purpose of using M.Pads in my scenario.

I don't use any style or accompaniment. I go to audio recording, hit record and then I press Pad 1. I recorded specific arpeggios on each Pad with the repeat function on to keep looping. Again, no style, no accompaniment, no start/stop, no style sync. I just use the pads as standalone phrases for my recording. But still can't get it right.

Are multi pads designed to only sync with a style playback?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:48:08 PM by melokeyz »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 01:02:05 AM »
Joe,
... Are multi pads designed to only sync with a style playback?

Yes; that's how the keyboard (and MIDI) works.  The Multi Pad player is a separate sequencer from the style player but still needs to sync with the internal MIDI clock of the keyboard. You can turn the Volume down for style playback so you won't hear it.  See if that works.

I sometimes play Multi Pads along with just drums and bass from a style. Sometimes I play the Motif Voices with it arps... The Motif also has to sync with the S970 internal clock to keep accurate time with the S970 styles or Multi Pads.

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:06:50 AM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline terryB

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 08:37:41 AM »
I have found that Multi pads can be played without a style, and sync with LH chords if a LH voice is selected and switched on. This splits the keyboard, but you can select a LH voice to be the same as RH.
Cheers
Terry

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 03:14:49 PM »
People use their keyboards in different ways.

I did some experiments.  Apparently, the MIDI clock is always running, but only transmits out MIDI when the style is playing.  I tried playing some Preset Multi Pads and adjusting the Tempo and the MPs responded.  Turning the Left Voice on allows the Multi Pads to follow your left hand chords.  If melokeyz doesn't want to hear the left-hand chords then he will have to turn the volume down for Left.

I have never used Multi Pad Creator to record a Pad, but my understanding is there is no quantize option like with Style Creator.  So it is possible that what he is hearing is the notes out of time.  We need more information.  Maybe he can post the Multi Pad so we can take a look at it.

If he has figured out the problem, I hope he will post what he has found out.

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 04:07:52 PM by Joe H »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 03:22:53 PM »
Another option is to record your loops in Style Creator.  I think you will find that it is easier and you will have then have the option to edit and balance the 4 style parts in the Mixing Console.

Joe H

melokeyz

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 01:01:22 AM »
People use their keyboards in different ways.

I did some experiments.  Apparently, the MIDI clock is always running, but only transmits out MIDI when the style is playing.  I tried playing some Preset Multi Pads and adjusting the Tempo and the MPs responded.  Turning the Left Voice on allows the Multi Pads to follow your left hand chords.  If melokeyz doesn't want to hear the left-hand chords then he will have to turn the volume down for Left.

I have never used Multi Pad Creator to record a Pad, but my understanding is there is no quantize option like with Style Creator. 

If he has figured out the problem, I hope he will post what he has found out.

Joe H

Exactly.
People are always using their keyboards in different ways. For me, I even sometimes think about new ways to do a task that are not mentioned in the manual.

I agree. There is no quantize function in M.pad creator.

I think I found the solution in your last reply about using style creator instead and assign my loops to variations. It just worked great. I don't know why I thought about M.Pads in the first place. All I can say that I am still learning all the possible options that come with the instrument to do a task. Sometimes you can do the same task using two options. The learning curve is steep in Genos indeed.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 02:47:51 AM »
The great thing about this forum is no matter how long we have had an arranger, there are still new things to learn.

;)

Joe H