Author Topic: Update Genos 1.4  (Read 13009 times)

Online DerekA

Re: Update Genos 1.4
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 12:41:28 PM »
English version

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/update.html#product-tabs

(If this is a final version, there are going to be some unhappy bunnies on here)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 12:49:23 PM »
You will not get a lot for free ::)
CUBASE COMPATIBILITY a must working with midi
Genos and Cubase need to converse better.
Upping the midi file capacity must mean more saving multi-record setup movements i hope.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 12:56:55 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »
I really want to see a table content of Assignable functions :)

You will not get a lot for free ::)
CUBASE COMPATIBILITY a must working with midi
Genos and Cubase need to converse better.
Upping the midi file capacity must mean more saving multi-record setup movements i hope.

Maybe they think this is a Steinberg job to do, not Yamaha's job...

(If this is a final version, there are going to be some unhappy bunnies on here)

Certainly...

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 01:10:16 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 01:12:32 PM »
I wonder if that is all the updates there are or are there more? If that's what they call a major update, I'd have to disagree. There's probably a lot more :-\.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 01:14:21 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 01:20:52 PM »
I wonder if that is all the updates there are or are there more? If that's what they call a major update, I'd have to disagree. There's probably a lot more :-\.

I think we have to wait to see... They might present only some of them...
Really, a table of content with all updates, on download page, with "What's new.." will bring lights on this update...

I think all updated functions, or new added functions, even if they are minor things, it has to be in a description of an update. Personally, I want to know if something minor (which might disappointed me in the past ) right now is corrected. Example, Sorting playlists records, can be a minor thing in an update. Or the operation of display controls, if they were corrected, it could be (for them) a minor update. But should be in description of the package, not only "fixed minor things"...

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 01:23:32 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 01:50:33 PM »
I wonder if that is all the updates there are or are there more? If that's what they call a major update, I'd have to disagree. There's probably a lot more :-\ .

Maybe the updates on the web page is just a teaser, maybe there is more to it.  No matter what I never expected anything earth shattering, after all Yamaha has a great product and they are masters at marketing, they know how to get the owners of Yamaha arrangers excited.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 01:51:54 PM by stephenm52 »
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 01:55:32 PM »
... after all Yamaha has a great product and they are masters at marketing, they know how to get the owners of Yamaha arrangers excited.

LOL

Yamaha are the masters at marketing, of Yamaha products. Korg are the masters of marketing, of Korg products.
Everyone is a master in opinion of brand's users ;)

IMO, is a brand which made some good stuff, but not masters. Master means "the best", perfect, and we all know non of the arrangers/synths or any electronic device is perfect!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:15:45 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 03:17:14 PM »
I really want to see a table content of Assignable functions :)

Maybe they think this is a Steinberg job to do, not Yamaha's job... ---- Steinberg is part of Yamaha now or they own it.  All the best John :)

Certainly...

Regards,
Vali
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline soryt

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 03:38:46 PM »
Knowing Yamaha this is a nice piece of marketing to attract new customers, I did not expect a big change, so everything was nice.
I had the quiet hope that they would finally make a good replacement for the YEM program, unfortunately that is not the case. . . .

Soryt  8)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline panos

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 05:58:24 PM »
hm...at least I've learned something new from the "Genos version up" video.
There is no such thing as a "fools day" in Japanese culture. Otherwise...  ;D
Just kidding!  :)

The picture with the red light hitting Genos' front makes it really beautiful.

CindyG

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »
Still no news about the update on the U.S.A pages - Apparently, they think we don't need to know about it!  >:(

I'm glad to see they increased the MIDI maximum song file size to 3 MB. I hope that applies to quick MIDI record mode. I ran out of room doing a quick record recently.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 07:46:43 PM »
Amazing. The update hasn’t even been released, yet the disparaging comments have already started.

At least  Yamaha knows there are some people who can never be pleased, and it’s not worth trying to please them.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline pjd

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 08:44:41 PM »
I'm not expecting anything earth-shattering with v1.4.

Genos (and Montage, for that matter) has the potential to be a platform that takes Yamaha through a few more years than previous product development cycles.

We've been raising Cain about the need for periodic updates. Now, we're getting an update, breaking with past Yamaha practice. Will there be more? Who knows? At least Yamaha is getting with the rest of the tech world by offering updates for its top-end products.

All the best -- pj

tyrosman

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 09:06:44 PM »
Amazing. The update hasn’t even been released, yet the disparaging comments have already started.

At least  Yamaha knows there are some people who can never be pleased, and it’s not worth trying to please them.

Cheers,
Fred
   well said Fred

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 10:11:42 PM »
YEM is a computer programme so would so would hardly be included in a keyboard update.

beykock

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 06:54:24 AM »
In less than 1 week the Genos update will be available.

I am sure all Genos owners will be very happy and there will be much more than most people are expecting, I think ! 💥

A real surprise, I guess.😉

Take care, Babette
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:56:42 AM by beykock »

Offline Bill

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 11:04:09 AM »
Still no news about the update on the U.S.A pages - Apparently, they think we don't need to know about it! >:(

I'm glad to see they increased the MIDI maximum song file size to 3 MB. I hope that applies to quick MIDI record mode. I ran out of room doing a quick record recently.

You have to look before you will see.

Home Display Improvement - Real-Time Awareness
Enjoy a complete overview of your Genos, letting you concentrate on what’s important—your performance. The newly redesigned Home screen now offers information to give you at-a-glance comprehension of what’s happening as you play.

1.Bar/Beat/Tempo: Displays the current position (bar/beat/tempo) in Style playback or MIDI Song playback.
2.Upper Octave/Transpose: Displays the amount that the upper octave value is shifted, and the amount of master transposition in semitone units
3.Song area: Displays the information of Time Signature, Tempo, the current position of Song.
4.Style area: The current position of the section playback, Tempo Lock.

Display Output
The new 1.4 update brings enhanced USB capabilities to the Genos. Connect a USB display adaptor to an external monitor via the [USB to DEVICE] terminal to show lyrics, scores, or other text.

User Interface Improvement - Live Control / Assignable
A new category-based interface makes assigning functions to the control knobs and buttons a simple, intuitive process. Update 1.4 makes even more functions assignable, all divided into easy-to-follow categories that make finding and assigning them a quick and easy process that you can perform on the fly if necessary.

User Inter face improvement : pop-up
The updated interface features on-screen pop-up windows displaying the results of any operations you make with them.

MIDI song max capacity per file
We have expanded the maximum size for MIDI song files to 3 MB, ten times the previous limit of 300 KB!

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/update.html#product-tabs
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline metcam

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 11:13:13 AM »
Maximum size for MIDI song files increased to 3 MB.

This is a great , great news and Yamaha thank you for that.

Some members of this forum including my self we begging Yamaha for years and now finally we have that.

Also that telling me Yamaha is here and listening. Also that telling me this is a good place to posting wishes ,problems  and all needs that Yamaha customer like to se in next update or next Keyboard.

Again Thank you Yamaha.

Regards
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline acparker

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
Display Output
The new 1.4 update brings enhanced USB capabilities to the Genos. Connect a USB display adaptor to an external monitor via the [USB to DEVICE] terminal to show lyrics, scores, or other text.

I call foul on this.  We have this already, I use it every Sunday to display the lyrics for the hymns at Church.

Adam

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »
No good having scores display if there is no chord display.
Best sticking to the music sheets program for android HP slate 21 inch screen.
Yem should of been better, especially having to load everything each time you want a new pack.
The good thing is the midi expansion and asigning live control.
I am not particulaly worried about most of the updates as they are minor.
Better Daw integration would be the best for me
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 12:00:30 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Bill

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 12:15:30 PM »
Display Output

I call foul on this.  We have this already, I use it every Sunday to display the lyrics for the hymns at Church.

I guess there is no pleasing some folks.

There are giving you two more displays so you would not expect them to take away what you have already.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 02:17:35 PM »
No good having scores display if there is no chord display.

The Score display includes chords as long as they’re in the midi file.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 02:23:46 PM »
Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed.

All this endless speculation and desires, one week before an update, will change nothing,
as whatever is in the update has already been decided upon months ago if not
a year ago.

It cannot and will not be changed no matter how much we speculate.
I don't think it's that easy for the engineers to change something at the last minute
because this or that person wishes it.

Wait for the update, and if your expectations haven't been met, start posting your wishes
again.

Best Regards,
Abby.

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 07:52:53 PM »
Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed.

All this endless speculation and desires, one week before an update, will change nothing,
as whatever is in the update has already been decided upon months ago if not
a year ago.

It cannot and will not be changed no matter how much we speculate.
I don't think it's that easy for the engineers to change something at the last minute
because this or that person wishes it.

Wait for the update, and if your expectations haven't been met, start posting your wishes
again.

Best Regards,
Abby.

Well said.
Thank you Abby
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970

CindyG

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2019, 08:00:44 PM »
You have to look before you will see.

Home Display Improvement - Real-Time Awareness
Enjoy a complete overview of your Genos, letting you concentrate on what’s important—your performance. The newly redesigned Home screen now offers information to give you at-a-glance comprehension of what’s happening as you play.

1.Bar/Beat/Tempo: Displays the current position (bar/beat/tempo) in Style playback or MIDI Song playback.
2.Upper Octave/Transpose: Displays the amount that the upper octave value is shifted, and the amount of master transposition in semitone units
3.Song area: Displays the information of Time Signature, Tempo, the current position of Song.
4.Style area: The current position of the section playback, Tempo Lock.

Display Output

User Interface Improvement - Live Control / Assignable
A new category-based interface makes assigning functions to the control knobs and buttons a simple, intuitive process. Update 1.4 makes even more functions assignable, all divided into easy-to-follow categories that make finding and assigning them a quick and easy process that you can perform on the fly if necessary.

User Inter face improvement : pop-up
The updated interface features on-screen pop-up windows displaying the results of any operations you make with them.

MIDI song max capacity per file
We have expanded the maximum size for MIDI song files to 3 MB, ten times the previous limit of 300 KB!

Thanks - I did see the information on the UK Yamaha site. What I meant to say was that there was no information on the United States Yamaha site about the update. In fact, I wouldn't have known about the update at all if it weren't for the good folks here talking about it, for which I am grateful.  :) I just think that Yamaha should post the information on all of their international web sites, including the United States one.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:04:56 PM by CindyG »

Offline panos

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2019, 08:30:02 PM »
The Score display includes chords as long as they’re in the midi file.

Cheers,
Fred

Hi John,
connect a midi cable between the 2 ports of the midi in and midi out of your keyboard, choose the channel or the channels (from the midi settings menu) that they have the notes that can help the genos to read the chords (usually a channel witn strings or a guitar playing chords),
use the Song Creator to re-record the song.
(In fact you just have to let the midi play all the way through with the rec mode on and let the Genos figure out what chords the notes are formatting)

Then the "new" midi will display the chords along with the sheet music on your screen.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2019, 06:15:25 AM »
Display Output

Adam

Ah.... but perhaps the 1.4 update allows independent views on each display? Then we'd really have something new and very useful, right?

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2019, 10:12:00 PM »
Hi John,
connect a midi cable between the 2 ports of the midi in and midi out of your keyboard, choose the channel or the channels (from the midi settings menu) that they have the notes that can help the genos to read the chords (usually a channel witn strings or a guitar playing chords),
use the Song Creator to re-record the song.
(In fact you just have to let the midi play all the way through with the rec mode on and let the Genos figure out what chords the notes are formatting)

Then the "new" midi will display the chords along with the sheet music on your screen.

Hi Panos
I cannot be bothered with that little display and bouncy ball.
Ii is much better for me to open my HP slate up and stick all the music sheets in there and turn the pages with Air-Turn.
Thanks for that tip though Panos.
Just done a couple of songs and now having a go with Sonarworks. My mixes are getting better gradually and tomorrow is using a reference track on my monitors to get the levels equal.
If you get the Speaker and mic Sonarworks,you have to go through a mindbending experience with all the  32 mic positions and that whooping noise. Dun arf make your arms ache!! :-X
I just hope it is worth the money. Well, having a go tomorrow ;D Probablly get myself all mixed up!! :o

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:18:28 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 03:23:35 PM »
Only a few hours left. I don't know what time zone Yamaha will take to start June 28
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Online DerekA

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 03:58:07 PM »
Howland Island?
Genos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »
I still do not know why Yamaha does not make a book of tweaks for shaping sounds. also sound stacking advice.
That would be great for all getting the ulltimate out of the GENOS.
I think people would purchase that.
 :) Tip for an expert sound programer.
The old DX synths had tweak files
Just a thought ::)
For me programing the live sliders looks good and the best in increasing the midi capability for saving mixer and other setups without running out of memory , but all the rest, nothing to shout about unless there is something they have not told us. Maybe a free bottle of laughing gas ;D, only kidding. :P :-X :-\

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 05:10:03 PM by ugawoga »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2019, 09:20:49 PM »
They have changed the initial video... some information additionally in the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxc-q7JCW9U

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline pjd

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 10:21:24 PM »
Thanks, Vali! In case you can't read video on the fly, here's the text.

-- pj

Genos update v1.4 video

* New Live Control Assignable Functions
* Home display shows:
     + Tempo
     + Bar and Beat
     + Upper Octave
     + Transpose
     + Time in audio song
     + Time signature, tempo, bar in MIDI Song
     + Style time signature, tempo lock status, tempo hold status, current
         position of style section
* Live control display
     Example: Knob1 - Type1 --> Category > Function
* Assignable button display
     Example: Assignable Button A --> Category > Function
* External display support
     + Home
     + Score (mirroring)
     + Lyrics
     + Text
* And more
     + Changed the buttons for display/operation on the Song List mode
       to the SONG B buttons instead of the SONG A buttons
     + You can now see the result of operations
       of the ASSIGNABLE buttons via the pop-up window
     + The font settings on the Lyrics display and the Text display
       are backed up and retained even after the power is turned off
     + The "Song" item which can be selected on the Registration Memory
       window is divided into "MIDI Song" and "Audio Song"
     + Disabled switching between Dual Player mode
       and Song List mode during Song playback
     + When operating the on-screen knobs and vertical sliders, the first
       touch will not change the value immediately, but only select (focus) it
     + The maximum capacity per file of MIDI Song has been
       expanded to about 3MB

The following users thanked this post: voodoo, KeyboardByBiggs

Offline panos

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2019, 12:18:19 AM »
Hi again John,
I don't think a book would be any useful to teach someone how to "shape" the sounds.
It's like asking for a book to teach you how to compose.
Even if you know all the music theory in the world cannot help you with that.
Of course a man who wants to make a living can write a book and give "magic" recepies about everything.People always buy such.... "recepies" :)

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2019, 12:26:46 AM »
Thanks for the written version, PJ.

One question: They say, "When operating the on-screen knobs and vertical sliders, the first touch will not change the value immediately, but only select (focus) it." That's what happens now. What's the difference?

Personally, I hate the way the knobs and sliders react in a gig setting. I wish you could move them and see changes right away, just like a volume pedal. I usually overshoot the slider just assigning it the focus. You have to move the slider or knobs way too much just to get their attention!! This causes my changes to be way too loud most of the time. You can't nudge the volumes without first moving the slider a fair amount. I don't see how 1.4 solves this problem.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 12:28:00 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2019, 02:23:42 AM »
Hi Panos

I do not mean sounds like off the scale.
Way back on instruments like the DX there were patch lists for sounds 
It would be nice to know the ultimate settings for great piano and main Instruments
But we can all tinker  and get there eventually.
Well I have redone Here comes the night  and took all effects off and the song is completely flat.
Tonight i got the midi tracks all done to wave ready for a mix
Thanks to advice from Robinez, i put not connected on the Input in the Inspector and Genos Workststion below and now there are no glitches going through my Focusrite 61i6 and now I can record to wave in Cubase without any problems. Like Robinez said , i was getting a midi loop that messed and upset the sound when starting to edit.
At last i am settling into Cubase 
So tomorrow i will do some gain staging and see what comes out of this  later.
Did you know if you can download Sonar Platinum for free by going to BANDLAB site.
Once you get a login for Bandlab you can put your songs into their free mastering service.
It is no different from Landr only free and there is no limit. You can upload for free mastering
Also you have a choice of Wave files  16 or 24 bit plus the others like useless mp3s. Flac is the kid.

Well LEE we will see what all the fuss is about today!! :)

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 02:28:23 AM by ugawoga »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2019, 01:09:49 PM »

Cheers,
Fred

Dear Fred,

now I have it installed, and remembering your "wishlist", would you say you got what you wanted ?

I also remember you agreed some of my wishes were not unreasonable.

I will try to make a thread "What of your wishlist did 1.4 take care of ?"

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline EileenL

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2019, 11:04:58 PM »
I never had a wish list so I am very pleased with the update. Lots of new assign choices and I like what they have done to the sliders. They seem much better to use.