Author Topic: Genos Tutorials - Performance Mode - Part 4 to Part 6  (Read 5297 times)

markusthegeek

Genos Tutorials - Performance Mode - Part 4 to Part 6
« on: June 09, 2019, 07:07:11 AM »
Here are some new tutorials on playing a performance including a song to replace or automate style playback, pre-recorded multipads, score with melody and harmonies, and auto-switching keyboard voices.

Genos Tutorials - Performance Mode - Part 4

Learn how to put together a performance on your Yamaha keyboard. Includes quick recording your style into a song. Also shows you how to remove wrong harmonies from the score display and remove wrong style selection settings from your song.

https://youtu.be/Clgxc5ROYbg

Genos Tutorials - Performance Mode - Part 5

Learn how to put together a performance on your Yamaha keyboard. Includes inserting new style selection settings into your song. Also shows how to fix the ending of the song if it runs too long and record multipads into your song.

https://youtu.be/kI96s2XNIHk

Genos Tutorials - Performance Mode - Part 6

Learn how to put together a performance on your Yamaha keyboard. Includes silencing song parts during a performance. Also shows how to record keyboard voices into the song so that they are automatically selected during playback. Finally, some notes on playing songs with or without style playback and a final performance of the song we created.

https://youtu.be/yIxgmrAs9hg

The following users thanked this post: terryB, KeyboardByBiggs

Offline EileenL

Re: Genos Tutorials - Performance Mode - Part 4 to Part 6
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 01:05:05 PM »
Afraid I did not get this at all. I think most will select a style they want to use along will some registration bank settings that have been set up with the right volumes etc.
We will then select Quick Record. Now will select Intro if using one and press sync start. We will then play the song changing variations as needed and triggering multi pads if required if we have not saved the changes to registrations. If we have then we will use those and also select different right hand voicing. The whole process will only take around three minutes or as long as the song is. If then when we play it back we need to alter volumes or panning etc. we can easily do this by going into step record and selecting each track and make our alterations.
  Your way of recording a song is very drawn out and to some very confusing.
The other way people chose to create there song is to Multi track and record every part separately to make up there score. They would edit and merge tracks the same way.
  I know you were using your own style but a style would not have different chords in the variations as they would not sound good when played live.
  The only styles that do this are the DJ ones and they are mainly in Minor keys. I don't know anyone who really uses this type of style and Yamaha only put ten of them on there keyboards.

markusthegeek

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 02:46:51 AM »
Hi Eileen,

good point, you could do everything in one go, we end up with the same result. I think we need to respect that different users have different workflows and not everybody is able to do all these things together in one take. I use the song to automate this switches so I am not trying to get to the point that I could do them all in real-time in the first place. in an analogy, some DJs learn to use turntables and sync records by hand and some use a computer to auto-sync and focus on other aspects of performing.

on the multitrack song recording, could you please explain how people do this? I do not get that at all, like it seems that I would have to set every track to left, right 1, 2, or 3, otherwise I cannot play from the keyboard at all, right? And then when I record one track with right 1 sound A and the next with right 1 sound B, how can I go back to sound A if I want to fix the first track say with punch-in? that to me is a lot more confusing honestly ;-) it seems all so hardwired to either using the default song setup including keyboard, multipads, style or put everything on MIDI In maybe and use a software sequencer?

gruss,
Markus

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »
Hi Markus
  Multi tracking is usually used when producing an orchestral track and most would used an orchestral score to do so. You may start by using a Piano to that you want to add strings playing there part and horns playing there's. Most recording you would select the voice you want and set to Right one indeed most tracks would be set to Right one. If using percussion you would record your own drum track on 10.
  In other words you produce a song as if the full orchestra was playing it. You would not be able to play something like this live because you have not got enough hands.

Also with quick record once you have recorded your song you may want to add some counter melody's and not use Multi pads so you can set these tracks 5678 as you use them and change to Right one and select your voice to Right one then play the melody in.
  With both of these methods you can always edit them on the control tracks and even put right wrong notes as well as add effects change volume change panning etc.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:40:59 AM by EileenL »

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 06:07:34 PM »
Hi Eileen,
Markus in these 3 videos is showing us how to correct or add some things in the midi file which we have created by quick recording.
So he created a midi recording which have some mistakes in it.
He chose for the time being to record only the style parts,so when he will record the melody he doesn't have to worry about the rest of the parts and focous on his melody line playing.

He corrected a harmony showed in the first bar of the displayed music that should not be there.
Also he corrected the style variation and putted an ending to the song by using the edit menu then deleted some bars of the style, inserted a multipad,equalized the multipad with the pad creator etc 

From the start of the fourth video he told as that he will use the quick recording and not the multi recording.
I don't think is someting wrong if you use this method or go directly with the multi recording or other ways of doing things.

If someone wants to record something with the Genos but he doesn't want to use the style parts and wants to record everything note by note etc,
In my opinion, he could do it directly on the pc with a DAW where there are no restrictions like voices,effects,syssex commands and other weird stuff.
But our arrangers help a lot in a reccording if we want to use the style parts and avoid to go to a note to note composition for all the organs.
That's where the really strong point of the Genos vs a synthesizer or a DAW is (Just my opinion).

Anyway, I don't expect from someone who is trying to help to know everything,
while at the Genos presentations in Youtube all you can see is how good keyboardists the demonstrators are.  :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 06:08:56 PM by panos »

markusthegeek

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 07:47:25 AM »
Thanks, Eileen and Panos,

Eileen, that makes sense, I will try to use multi mode then for my next orchestral soundtrack cover. Thanks for your explanation, I found selecting voices for a multi part indeed a bit confusing. Right 1 makes sense to me since this is also the default for style tracks and multi-pads. I guess the only thing missing in the multi-mode is the drum editor and maybe some style actions like bar copy?

Panos, thanks for your post, and yes, I am still trying to find my way around and only claiming to show my process of making songs not the final truth :-) Have yet to combine a DAW with the Genos but in general I am trying to do as much as I can on the keyboard. I am, however, starting to use some of the great PSR tools like midi2style, Style Unlocker, and OTS Editor. But I want to get more experience using them before I make a video on software.

After the intense tutorials last week which are also in a way the end of my first tutorials cycle showing my whole process of creating a cover song, I am taking a break this weekend. Will be back next weekend getting back to some questions I got form viewers along the way.

gruss,
Markus
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:56:08 AM by markusthegeek »

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 02:33:16 AM »
Good discussion.

The fact is that everyone has their own way of creating music - some just play for the sheer enjoyment of playing while others want to play and record and still others want to create a different sound using the keyboard as a tool. In my opinion there's no right or wrong way.

Having been a singer mostly, I like to create backing tracks with lyrics so I can sing songs Karaoke style or sing with friends at a party or just play along etc.  I make the backing tracks to my own liking and with my own interpretation of the song. I record some of my songs and make videos to share with others.

Having said that most of the time I just play the Genos and experiment with different styles and sounds. I can spend hours just doing that. If I come up with something I really like I will make a registration so I don't lose the settings and later use that in a song.

As I said we all have our own way. I am fascinated by the different different ways people on this site make their music and it's great to listen to others and perhaps get some inspiration from their work.

Regards,
Richard