Author Topic: Switching Between Midi Setup And Without  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Bernie9

Switching Between Midi Setup And Without
« on: June 17, 2019, 03:50:27 PM »
I sometimes use my 970 with a Ketron SD40, with SD40 style and right voice played from the 970, and left Yamaha voice.  My question is whether one can jump in and out of SD40 midi setup to return to non midi setup.  I have a setup saved as midi preset, but is cumbersome going to that page.  I was hoping to save one configuration in #1 and non midi in #2, but the midi stays the same.
Bernie

Offline DerekA

Re: Switching Between Midi Setup And Without
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 03:54:42 PM »
I think you are asking if the MIDI setup can be stored in a registration.

Sorry, I do not think this is possible. You need to navigate back to the MIDI setup page and switch between your setup files.
Genos

Wouter1972

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 06:56:43 PM »
I was struggling with the same thing. I doing Yamaha would add this functionality to my T5 but who knows maybe they will for the next generation Arranger Keyboards.

Wouter

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 09:54:45 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  Since since I didn't see midi as a parameter in memory, I was afraid of that.  How about a midi AB box, or something similar?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:57:27 PM by Bernie9 »

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 11:15:22 PM »
Hi Bernie,

If you already have a MIDI template setup for use with the SD40, I assume that you have saved it as a User template on the USER drive.

Once you select a MIDI template, it will remain loaded even through power off/on cycles, and if you want to select a different one, the MIDI template screen will always open at the page containing the one currently loaded.

So why not save another user template containing the MIDI OFF setup that you want to use. This will be saved to the same page as the User template for the SD40.  There is a preset called MIDI OFF that you can start off with, and either edit, or use without modification if it already does what you want, but whatever you do, save it as a User template (to avoid confusion with the original preset, give it a new name).

Then whichever one you are currently using, when you press Function > Tab to Menu 1 > MIDI, the selection screen will open at the page containing both of your user templates.  It will be very easy to select the one that you want since there will only be 2 templates listed!

Although this only saves you from having to move between the Preset and User pages in the selection screen as you would if you use the preset MIDI OFF template, perhaps you would still find this less cumbersome.

It would be nice if there was a Registration Group for the Midi template, but as far as I know, there hasn't been one in any Yamaha arrangers to date, including Genos, where the range of parameters that can be included in a registration were significantly increased, so I wouldn't hold your breath!

However I would have thought that using a MIDI switcher box or some other hardware would not really be any easier than just using the keyboard.

Regards

Ian

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 08:54:39 AM »
Hi Ian
Thank you for your further confirmation. I will do as you suggest, as the additional time required isn't really a deal breaker.
Bernie

The following users thanked this post: Pepeva