Author Topic: I whish a Yammie with larger memory for all my packs  (Read 6372 times)

Offline ton37

I whish a Yammie with larger memory for all my packs
« on: June 14, 2019, 11:11:14 AM »
I struggle with the following. I like my current keyboard (S770). However, I always run into the problem with the expansion memory that is too small. Transferring a selection from the different packs with YEM is very cumbersome, I don't like that, not so comfortable.
I guess that I have the following options:
1. An s970/975, but this kb. also has a memory that is too small for my use
2. A tyros 5, but with 2 GB expansion memory??
3. Wait a little longer what the successor will be in the PSR S series?? (with hopefully enough User memory).

I have doubts between options 2 and 3.

What is your experience regarding packs and available (user) memory?
My best regards,
Ton

Offline DerekA

Re: I whish a Yammie with larger memory for all my packs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:12:07 PM »
If you like having loads of additional sounds, expansion packs are a very expensive way to do it.

Have you considered connecting up to a laptop and using the keyboard to drive VST instruments. You can get started completely free (apart from the cables) using software available online. Even buying a dedicated laptop for £300 is far cheaper than your other options.

There are lots of free VST and soundfonts, and lots more you can buy at a lower cost than expansion packs.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 04:07:17 PM »
I have 'sounds' enought @ DerekA on my computer. That's not the 'problem'. Thanks for your answer and financial concern ;-). It is more the lot of Packs I have: Styles with Custom Sounds. All together I think it is about more as 1,5 GB. So a Tyros5 with 2 GB would be 'luxury' to have. Of course I don't use all the styles (and sounds). I could of course select the styles and sound from different packs and made a own pack, but to me it limits my 'musical' inspiration. And doing it via YEM is rather cumbersome.
That's why I am curious if a new PSR will have a larger memory? If not, than I have to consider a Ty5 with 2 GB. I guess that a Tyros 5 cannot have 2 expansionmemories of 1 GB??

My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 05:59:26 PM »
No memory comes in either 1Gb or2Gb board.

The following users thanked this post: ton37

beykock

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 06:12:48 PM »
Hi Ton :

Only Yamaha can tell you when the new S serie will be available. Next year or in 2021 ? Wait and see.

Babette

Offline ton37

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 06:32:57 PM »
Thanks @Babette, I don't know if I can wait sooo long ;-)) . Life is too short. Maybe there will be some more Tyros's 5 on the (local) market if the firmware update 1.4 of the Genos is so awsome that the last group of  'Tyros5-Owner-Who-Want-A-Genos' are seduced to trade in their Tyros5 for a Genos ;-))
My best regards,
Ton

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 08:35:07 PM »
the last group of  'Tyros5-Owner-Who-Want-A-Genos' are seduced to trade in their Tyros5 for a Genos ;-))

I'm in that group; I very nearly pressed the "buy" button last month but at the last moment decided that I just couldn't justfiy the £2000 cost to change, given other things that I want to do. But one of the  things I wanted from Genos was the 1.8GB expansion memory ....

For T5 you do need a single card to get 2GB, which is the Mutec FMC-07 at about £330. I would also add that Yamaha managed to significantly improve the time it takes to load up the expansion memory on the newer S series and Genos. 1GB on the T5 can take 40 minutes to format and load, I expect 2GB would take at least an hour.
Genos

Offline ton37

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 09:03:45 PM »
Well, at least that's a nice prospect for your @DerekA. I have had the Tyros 5 and then the Genos for a few months. But since I didn't know the Yamaha well enough, it became too complex for me. I didn't use a lot of functions and I thought that was a waste of money at the time. That is why I sold them again. Now that I get to know the Yammies better, I can better estimate what the possibilities are and the limitations,  depending how I want to use the keyboard. That's at least what I have learned ;-)). So I'll scratch my head again to see what i'm going to do …
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 12:10:22 PM »
I think we shall see the new PSR replacement some time this year as they usually appear around
two years after Flagship launch.

ekurburski

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »
Maybe in Europe Eileen, but probably a year later in USA!

Offline ton37

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 08:53:09 PM »
For your information: I thank you for thinking along and well-meant advice. I was able to sell my 770 well and then only be able to score a second hand gem: a PSR S975. I had calculated that the expansion memory was exactly enough for me to install the packs that I like to use. They are now on it and I can freely switch between the various styles and sound to my heart's content on the USB/PRESET or USER. So for coming 2/3 year (or longer?) I surely can enjoy this Yammie ;-)) Happy keyboarding …

PS: I have noticed that a full packinstall (i.c. 7 packs) on the PSR S975 was done in 6/7 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:42:01 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton