Author Topic: What do you really need in a new kb?  (Read 10179 times)

ekurburski

What do you really need in a new kb?
« on: May 22, 2019, 05:52:32 PM »
Been thinking about this the last couple of days.  I own a PSR 740 and a PSR3000.  In my opinion the biggest plus factor of the 3000 is the usb drive allowing quicker access to everything and the collection of more styles than I'll ever get to check out.  As far as additional voices I think the addition of a key controller and vst's will be more than adequate.  But then, what do I know?  Question is what real value does a newer kb bring to your setup?   I like the 10 registrations on the Geno's vs 8 on the rest of the PSR's  but that's not enough to justify it's purchase.

Offline Toril S

Re: What do you really need in a new kb?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
Hello Earl!
We have all different needs. Some people, like me, just want to play their keyboard. We don't care so much about tweaking the sounds, installing new packs and so on. We turn on the keyboard and start to play, and are very happy. For many years I had a PSR 2100, and I only used the internal styles! When I began using external styles I found it combersome with all those floppy disks, so the main reason for me to upgrade was the USB capability. I also like the audio recorder, it is handy. And the much bigger color screen. I haven't gotten around to using ecpansion packs yet. For me the new keyboard had so many fine sounds, and I have thousands of styles now, so I really don't feel like rushing that.
Others think otherwise. They see their keyboard more like a "newborn baby" when they pack it out of the box. They would not dream of using it "raw from the box" but put days, maybe months into tweaking the sounds, installing packs, setting up registrations and by this costumize it to their needs, making it meet their exact personal reqirements. The wonderful thing is that Yamaha lets us do this, and it is also great that the keyboards can be played right out of the box. They have a user friendly operating system, and I also like to know that if I want to use all the features in my keyboard I have stuff to learn for al long time, and I love that!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 06:58:36 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

ekurburski

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 01:16:02 AM »
Good points Toril.  I guess in a lot of ways  I'm like you.  I am very happy with the sounds of the kb out of the box.  I also like using the additional features but I expect I will be learning how to use what is on the kb for a long long time.  An example; using the multi pads in a musical way.  I still need to learn how to cut down a style as I'm playing bringing in the different sections of the band at different times as I play the tune.  I understand a lot of what CAN be done but getting around to practicing the technic's is something else.  It means dgging into the style and really knowing it.  And each style is different!  So much to learn!

pfeuh

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 08:14:54 AM »
Hello,

For me a big stuff is missing. I wasn't experienced enough when I bought a genos, i'm talking about recording a loop live.

I like when I play with musicians to improvise with both hands, for second voice or to drive correctly the joystick ans so on.

As on some other atrranges, with genos you could press a start button, plays chords on some measures, then press a loop button to let the arranger play for you a recorded live loop backtrack. On a PAx, it's possible and I think it's a great feature, not really expensive to develop.

regards,

Pfeuh

Offline Dnj

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 04:33:55 PM »
I think your talking about a Chord Sequencer feature like the KORG Pa4x has...its very useful for sure.

DonM

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 05:51:08 PM »
I think your talking about a Chord Sequencer feature like the KORG Pa4x has...its very useful for sure.
Even more useful now that the OS update allows saving the sequences to Songbook memory.  Many of the new free styles Korg put out already have sequences with them!  Very useful.  Roland used to have this, but the last few models left it off.  Bad step.

beykock

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 10:19:25 PM »
Hi,

For the time being, I do not want another arranger keyboard. My T5\76 offers me everything I need and much more ( I will never use, I guess 😁 ).

For me the quality of the sound is important.

Up to now I have never met any technical problems.👌

Cross my fingers I can keep it for another 10 years to come.
Why not ... it is a Yamaha, a very reliable keyboard.👍

Why should I kill a winning horse ?😉

Babette
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 10:37:09 PM by beykock »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
Agree, Babette! You ride the winning horses, you don't shoot them! :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

beykock

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 01:41:47 PM »
Hi Toril,

For me an arranger keyboard is an INSTRUMENT not a computer.

I do not need the latest computer technology.
It does not make me a better player, IMHO.

I really understand and respect why some people always want to own the newest arranger keyboards.

I think the improved computer technology and a better sound are very important for them, the newest features, styles and voices included.

It might be possible the Genos2 will not come so soon since the new Genos software update will be available in June 2019.

Maybe the S775 and S975 successors will be launched first.
Wait and see.

Best regards, Babette
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:55:03 PM by beykock »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 12:27:35 PM »
I personally do not expect a Genos 2 for another two years or so. We will see the 970 975 replacements a lot sooner I'm sure.

Bachus

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 11:13:00 PM »
Been thinking about this the last couple of days.  I own a PSR 740 and a PSR3000.  In my opinion the biggest plus factor of the 3000 is the usb drive allowing quicker access to everything and the collection of more styles than I'll ever get to check out.  As far as additional voices I think the addition of a key controller and vst's will be more than adequate.  But then, what do I know?  Question is what real value does a newer kb bring to your setup?   I like the 10 registrations on the Geno's vs 8 on the rest of the PSR's  but that's not enough to justify it's purchase.

The answer to what do you really need in a keyboard, is a totally different one then the answer to “ what do you really want in a keyboard..

I currently own both a Genos as well as a Modx..
And thats because of my workflow requiring things (need) from both instruments...

When i look at my MODX, and what features i use on a daily base that are not in the Genos, i have a short list..
- 88 keys
- audio over USB (the modx functions as audio interface for my ipad which hosts my virtual intsruments)
- 8 parts performances, i love the big multi part performances on the Modx..
- arps, just stacking multiple arps in a performance and saving user ones is a big plus for me..
- onboard deep edditing and creation tools for sounds ( everything yem does for Genos and more can be done onboard of the modx, edditing but also pack management)
- soundmondo, thats a very nice apps where people share their self created sounds and performances, you browse them on your ipad/pc, click the ones you want to try and its loaded on the
- the inputs (analog audio and usb audio can be routed trough the master effects and varriation effect of modx)
- master control features.. i can assign any parameter i want to the knobs and sliders, internally and especially externally.. and controll amost everything in real time..
- superknob, having more then 1 parameter on a macro knob is just brilliant

And then there is a list of things i like on modx, but i ask my self do i need them, or are they just fun to have?
- motion sequences
- envelope follower
- the FM engine, altough very nice but can be done on an ipad app
- and some more..

There are even things from the good old Motif, i would like to see in a next gen keyboard, like the pattern sequencer, which was such a nice production tool..  or from the EX5 a Virtual Analogue engine... or the revival of the VL and VP engines...

In the end, to be honest, an instrument thats holds both genos amd montage in a single box would be near perfect, yet if i had to choose now between them, i would still choose the Genos above the Montage/modx because its the best arranger keyboard i ever owned... and i am still arranger keyboard player first and piano and synth player seccond..   i am often misunderstood, for what some call criticisme.. but its not really criticisme, but it comes from my broad view on keyboard instruments in general...

So you see, everyone has different needs and wants, based on their own personal reasons.. 
now i am very happy with my setup (Genos/Modx/ipad) and will probably update to the next Montage or Genos when it arives..  which in my opinion would be Montage2 2020/2021 and Genos2 2022/2023