Author Topic: Using Sub Outs for bass and/or drums  (Read 4608 times)

Offline jimlaing

Using Sub Outs for bass and/or drums
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:46:35 PM »
Hi - I have not seen (or could not find) a topic that seemed to address this exact question, so I thought I'd start a new topic.  I have been thinking some of wanting to put bass and drums through separate "outputs" on the Genos.  Into a mixer for instant access to making small adjustments in bass and/or drums, at live events.  I think those outputs are called "SUB" but it does not mean "subwoofer" but just 'extra' outs, right?

That is, I'd have:
 a) Most of keyboard: via main L/R outputs, cabled to one stereo channel on my mixer
 b) Drums: through a separate outputs #1 and #2) which is cabled to a stereo channel on my mixer
 c) Bass: through separate output #3, then cabled into another channel on my small mixer

If I put the drums through the Sub (or 'extra') outputs #1 and #2, will it be "in stereo" somehow to maintain the stereo image of the drums in styles?  If I do put drums (for example) through extra line outputs #1 and #2, do I lose the effects (such as Reverb) that might be on some drums?  I.e. would the drums come out 'dry' (no reverb) and the main keyboard (out the main outputs) would have reverb?  I don't know how the DSPs and Effect work with respect to the alt/sub outs.

Thanks for any help - esp. if anyone has tried this and had good success!

Jim
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:50:01 PM by jimlaing »
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Re: Using Sub Outs for bass and/or drums
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:55:57 PM »
Hi Jim,

Yes, the Sub label on the back of the Genos stands for "submix out." I route the kick and toms out the Sub 1 output. Reason: the factory volumes of these two drums are way too high in most cases. As for effects not being routed, I think you're safe in running the drums dry. If you were playing in a live band, there would be very little effects applied to a kit that is amplified. Most halls have some sort of natural reverb.

The only real problem I see is you would have to go through each registration, re-do the routing, and then save the registration. If you have 250 registrations, it's a daunting task!! I'm not sure if Murray's Registration Manager program can handle this task faster. Murray, are you out there :)?

Edit Jim, you mentioned you were concerned about losing the stereo imaging of the drum kit. I wouldn't worry about that. Even in the quietest of venues, there is enough ambient noise that the effect would be lost. The piano sound is different. It must be stereo imaged because even Yamaha hasn't figured out how to make their pianos sound good in mono. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:33:53 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 01:18:34 PM »
The only real problem I see is you would have to go through each registration, re-do the routing, and then save the registration. If you have 250 registrations, it's a daunting task!! I'm not sure if Murray's Registration Manager program can handle this task faster. Murray, are you out there :)?

It's not a good idea to save "everything" in registrations. I use some different "startup regs." for different output routings.

@jimlaig
Sub-outputs don't have master effects. Some users are routing Bass and Bass-Drum to different Sub-Outs for more "punch" ;-)
Cheers, Joe

Genos | S90ES | Roland A800pro | Korg PA4X | Mainstage

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »
Hi - thanks for the input so far ... I'll have to check the manual; I was  hoping I could set this as a Global setting, and not have to edit my ~500+ registrations!    Thanks again all,   -Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 01:36:40 PM »
It's not a good idea to save "everything" in registrations. I use some different "startup regs." for different output routings.
That's of no use to someone who already has 500 registrations. The idea of a startup reg is great only when you're starting from scratch. Jim is far past that point. If it were only possible to apply a Global setting...
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 01:47:52 PM »
That's of no use to someone who already has 500 registrations. The idea of a startup reg is great only when you're starting from scratch. Jim is far past that point. If it were only possible to apply a Global setting...

It’s easy to have global settings even with 500 registrations. It takes only two steps:

1. Have a startup reg with the global setting(s).
2. Ensure all your other registrations don't have these settings memorized.

If you currently have registrations with the settings memorized, it’s easy to use Murray Best's Registration Manager to erase them. You can do all your registrations in one batch. Won’t be more than an hour's work.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 02:17:57 PM »
You never cease to amaze me, Fred. Thanks! I didn't know it was that easy...I shall give it a whirl.

- Lee

HBRancher

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 06:02:29 PM »
Another TIP...
If you setup one Registration with the Sub Line Outs defined at startup...
Then you can use the FREEZE button to freeze the LineOutputs for
the duration of your gig...
This also will allow you to play with normal speaker setups whenever
you want...

Just remember not the hit the Freeze button between Registration changes... Or
put a small cover over the button...

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 09:49:50 PM »
Thanks, HB!