Author Topic: Switch over to Registratons .. really?  (Read 9126 times)

Offline DrakeM

Switch over to Registratons .. really?
« on: June 05, 2019, 09:27:16 PM »
Just sitting here and thinking is the next PSR keyboard going to drop the Music Finder?

If so, then I'm thinking I ought to begin moving my set up from the MF to all registrations some how.

What do you think, is the Music Finder a dead item to use on all future Yamaha keyboards?

Regards
Drake

Offline Dick Rector

Re: Switch over to Registratons .. really?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:21:08 PM »
It was a bit of a step some years ago to start using RGT's with the PSR 2000. But with the 950 there is SO MUCH more you can store in the RGT's I hardly use the musicfinder these days as they are limited in what you can store.
Worth the effort to dive into it. On top, Murray's Best program can help you to switch over from Music finder to RGT's. A bit of tweaking but I'm sure you will love it. When it is done it is done.
Have fun, most important.

Regards
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 11:37:51 PM »
How many Registrations can be placed in ONE folder? Or is there no limit?

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 11:38:31 PM »
Hello Drake!
I just make "gig lists" of songstyles. The style selection screen is much easier to see then the Music Finder, and you can use RGTs with no limits. But I don't have thousands of songs :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 11:53:17 PM »
I use the MF to also find my Lead Sheets.

I have a giant note book (contains 304 songs) with 19 dividers in it. Between each divider I place 16 lead sheets (which is ONE hour of music). This set up gives me 19 separate sets one hour long.

I have also placed my custom song styles for each song also in 19 folders that match the note book. If I have a request for a song that is not in the set I intend to play, I can go to the MF. I go to the ALL tab in the MF and find the song. I can then tap on the Song Title and then the EDIT button and it will show me where the song lead's sheet is located by its set number. I can quickly flip through the 16 songs and find the tune.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:54:41 PM by DrakeM »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 12:29:23 AM »

The same limit as any other type of file. 250 for early PSRs. 500 for recent PSRs, and most Tyros models. 2500 for a Genos.

The search function in a Genos is much improved over a Tyros. All file types, including registrations, have a search function. Great for finding styles when you don’t know which section it's in.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 04:45:41 AM »
Thanks Fred for the info. I have a S950 keyboard, I hope it will hold the 500 amount. Is that correct?

I am thinking I will need to make 2 copies of each registration in order locate my Lead sheet material as I currently use the Music Finder.

I would have to put all 304 registrations into one giant folder with a number tag in its name as to which Gig folder (S01-S19) for example:

"Blue_Suede_Shoes_S01"

This would allow me find my lead sheet in my giant note book under Tab 01 with its 16 lead sheets.

I would place the second copy of the Registration into a separate folder labeled "Set01", which would also include 15 other song styles.

This is the method I use to rotate my gig sets at our local Senior Center in order to make sure I don't play the same songs over and over. I perform there every week for one hour. This way I only play a song 2 or 3 times each year, unless it is requested by someone more often.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:29:49 PM by DrakeM »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 05:11:40 AM »
Thanks Fred for the info. I have a S950 keyboard, I hope it will hold the 500 amount. Is that correct?

I am thinking I will need to make 2 copies of each registration in order locate my Lead sheet material as I currently use the Music Finder.

I would have to put all 304 registrations into one giant folder with a number tag in its name as to which Gig folder (S01-S19) for example:

"Blue_Suede_Shoes_S01"

This would allow me find my lead sheet in my giant note book under Tab 01 with its 16 lead sheets.

I would place the second copy of the Registration into a separate folder labeled "Set01", which would also include 15 other song styles.

This is the method I use to rotate my gig sets at our local Senior Center in order to make use I don't play the same songs over and over. I perform there every week for one hour. This way I only play a song 2 or 3 times each year, unless it is requested by someone more often.

I'm not sure it's worth your time to do anything on an existing keyboard. If you're happy with your current system, keep it.

When you get a new keyboard, if it's anything like the Genos, it will convert your Music Finder to registrations. So let it do all the work.

I certainly would not have two versions of a registration. That's a recipe for a confusion. Playlists will do the job for you. They will all you to create different programs without duplicating any registrations.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline JohnS

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 10:07:54 AM »

500 max.
John.
I have a Tyros5/76 & Tyros4 SE XL.
My keyboard holds every song ever written. I just have to find them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 10:42:16 AM »
I think it more likely than not that the new mid range keyboard will have the playlist system which is far more useful than OTS as much more can be saved just as on registrations. You will be able to convert your OTS to play Lists easily.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 01:41:17 PM »
I agree with Eileen; playlist is the future.

A playlist is basically just a list of registration bank files. it's far more powerful than music finder since a registration can contain anything you want.
Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 01:53:28 PM »
What about the letters? Are they as small as in the Music Finder?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »

What letters?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »

Hi Toril,

I have attached screen dumps of my Tyros4 Music Finder and Genos Playlist.

The screens on the two keyboards are the same height but Genos is wider. The screen on your T5 is the same as the T4.

There are 14 records listed on a page in the T4 MF, and 10 in Genos Playlist, although the Playlist line spacing is slightly greater than the MF.

I would say that the text is very slightly larger in Playlist but not by much!

BTW, the Genos Voice Guide does not 'say' anything that helps you to identify the record or song when you select a record in a Playlist. Obviously it can't say the title since it is not actually reading the text, but each record has a number so I would have thought that it might at least report the number, but mine says nothing.

Perhaps I have upset it and it is not speaking to me!  :'(

Regards

Ian

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 07:05:33 PM »
Thank you so much Ian!! VoiceGuide has some miles to go before it is really useful, but it is a good start.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 01:06:15 PM »
Okay, I will just wait until I get my next PSR model in the future.

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 06:57:12 PM »
I am impressed with the different ways players have found to organize their songs and settings within the Yamaha arranger systems.

My method is different from others I've read about, but not necessarily better...it's just the way I found to meet my needs in view of my knowledge at the time. I used to think I was so smart because I discovered THE solution for such a need...but I now realize mine is only one of multiple solutions (and not one I wish to expound about).

This increases my appreciation of the flexibility Yamaha arrangers allow us.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 12:51:55 AM »
My system, which works for me is  to find a style which suits a song, and lock it into Registration #1  Then,  I try and find a different stlyle which suits the same song, and lock it intio registration Button # 2 This gives me 8 variations for each song.
 I then write the name of the song in a book. with its Reg number  eg. 1.1.2   My next song will be 1.3.4
I can then use  next two buttons  for a different song and so on.
 i would love to hear from anyone else who uses this system, although, I suspect nobody else in the whole wide world does .