Author Topic: Playing Guitar on Genos  (Read 5221 times)

Offline Yinon

Playing Guitar on Genos
« on: May 31, 2019, 12:41:13 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if there are sounds or a way to play acoustic/Classic guitar strumming on Genos?
I'm referring to a sound(s) which will allow me to mimic strum up/down and muted strums.

This technique is very common playing a Guitar VST plugin (like AmpleSound AGT)

Here is a you-tube which demo's it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCkGdzcdR-g

(Please go directly to 9:08 to understand what I'm looking for).

I'm looking to get similar results directly with Genos (without a DAW connected).

Thanks,

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Playing Guitar on Genos
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 02:41:59 AM »
The you tube link does not work, but on several occasions I have performed songs just using the Guitar Multi Pads and nothing else. Worked great, sounded as if I were playing my 12 string guitar and singing. Give it a try.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Ed B

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 03:18:42 AM »
Hi
You can also use the "strum" function in Harmony/ Arpeggio  which is covered on page 56 of the operators manual. With this turned on and the ACMP function on you will strum a chord equivalent in the right hand voice when you play a single note.
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline Yinon

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 04:13:32 AM »
Thanks Gary,

I just checked the link and it does work...

It's important you see it.
The upper octave is used to trigger different strum technics while the lower is used for playing the chords.

the pads are not a good solution.
The intention here is to to be in control and strum up or down with expression.

Thanks

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 04:55:53 AM »
I don't think you can create strumming from scratch with any Yamaha arranger.

As far as getting a muting sound in the strum, simply find the strumming pattern and then change to a MUTED guitar voice.

With all the styles available here at the PSR web site (as in thousands) I have always been able to find the correct strumming pattern to add to my custom song styles.

What the guy was doing in the video, I have never been able to do. The closest thing to it would be combining 2 different strum patterns together to get a new sounding pattern. I have also recorded my own second pattern to play along with a preset Yamaha strumming pattern to create a new sounding pattern.

Regards
Drake

Offline soryt

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 11:40:24 AM »
With the Arpregiator you can select a few guitar strum effects and also for the Mega guitars , its quite nice to use

Soneg  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Yinon

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 12:48:52 PM »
Thanks Drake.

The guy in the video is not pulling any magic.
This customization is the actual VST plug-in.

(There are other guitar plug-ins which will do the same).
Interesting Yamaha never thought to do it...

Think about this - articulation 1, 2 and 3 buttons will be perfect to be used.

The issue is not in auto-play ...
I'm trying to leverage the great Genos sounds and sampled guitar to play - yes - Live -Real Time ...

Thanks Again :-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 06:13:16 PM »
Your assumption that Yamaha have not considered this is probably wrong, they just decided not to do it.  They never try to do everything that could be done. I am sure they just decide when the cost justifies extra sales - and decided no for this, as they have done for many things.
Mike

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 10:35:44 PM »
Your assumption that Yamaha have not considered this is probably wrong, they just decided not to do it.  They never try to do everything that could be done. I am sure they just decide when the cost justifies extra sales - and decided no for this, as they have done for many things.
Mike

Which is why they are still in business and selling loads of arranger keyboards and other musical instruments.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline rdiazhin

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 11:24:19 PM »
Check out this, Daniel Fisher, Sweetwater’s pseudo guitarist,  shows you all the tricks he uses to play acoustic, electric, and slide guitar parts on keys.

https://youtu.be/CLtwHzJ2s3g
Current Keyboards: Yamaha Genos

Offline Yinon

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 12:41:20 AM »
Thanks Everyone.

I know how to play lead guitar ...
The strum Technic that the VST plugin allows, cannot be manually fractured.

Soneg -
I saw you recommend working with the arpeggiator...
Will you have time to record a video of how to use it?

Thanks,