Author Topic: How far can you make a MODX work like an arranger?  (Read 16835 times)

Offline DerekA

How far can you make a MODX work like an arranger?
« on: May 30, 2019, 03:35:43 PM »
So I know there are "arrangers" and there are "synthesizers". At a very high level, arrangers have style engines, while synths like the MODX have arpeggios.

Could any of you who own a MODX give some insight on how far it's possible to use the arpeggios on MODX to make it work a bit like an arranger? I know an exact equivalent is not possible, but what is possible?

Reason for asking : I am tempted by the sound of the MODX but fear I would really miss the immediacy of using the style engine to play a full arrangement. If it's possible to do something simple that could be enough for me. At the moment I can't really justify the price of a Genos.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline Joe H

Re: How far can you make a MODX work like an arranger?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 04:39:53 PM »
Derek,

There are a few of us who own Yamaha synths and an arranger.  I brought this topic up on the Yamaha Synth Forum, and was insulted just for asking the question.

I own a Motif Rack XS.  I've been working on integrating the Motif with the arranger for sometime now.  It's amazing how well the Motif and arranger work together. It's become an extension (expansion) of my S970. I will be writing a tutorial on: Integrating the Motif with a Yamaha Arranger... how to do this and just what we can do. Here is a sample of the things we can do:

1. Create dummy packs in YEM for both User Voices and Performances on the synth (you can select these then directly from your arranger like pack Voices)

2. Play the synth User Voices and Performances as R1 on your arranger and save in OTS (you will need to create a special MIDI configuration on your arranger)

3. Play the synth arps using the arranger Voices (this is just delightful)

4. Play the arranger arps (if you have a model with arps) using the synth Voices (the arranger arps are ported over from the Motif in the first place so they work very well)

5. If you patch the synth audio out directly into the Audio Aux In on your arranger, the synth sounds will integrate perfectly with the arranger sounds and you can then record audio with the USB audio recorder and the synth Voices will be recorded along with the arranger sounds.

I will have an advanced section for 'Power Users' if they have an external MIDI programmable controller.  There are some fantastic things we can do to enhance the real-time playing of Motif arps like varying the Arp Gate Time, Attack and Release simultaneously with a foot pedal (and this may be is possible with the MODX as well). But you will need to know how to program sysex strings to control the arp parameters. I have reproduced some of the panel controls (missing on the Motif sound module) for the Motif keyboard like the 5 - 'F' (function buttons) on my Peavey hardware controller. (I can switch the 5 arp variations real-time like you can do on the Motif keyboard)

My life is very busy right now, so I can't say when I will get this project done, but I hope by the end of this year. I want to be very thorough about it and include screen shots of the setups I have made.

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:51:58 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 04:40:07 PM »
DerekA. Good question...I would also be be interested to read reply's.

Joe H replied as I was replying, thank you Joe.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:42:02 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply Joe, I'd like to think that on this forum we are able to ask any questions and not get insulted!

However - maybe I wasn't quite clear enough, I'm toying with having a MODX instead of an arranger because I love the MODX sounds - but can't afford both. I worry that I would miss being able to sit and just play something with a bit of an accompaniment. But if MODX can - when I want to - provide a basic accompaniment pattern then that could be fine.

Genos

Offline Del B

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 06:31:12 PM »
I am debating to purchasing a MODX7 as a second board, I have recently purchased a keyboard stand to cater for a second board ready when the decision has been made by my wallet.  My yamaha LS7 keyboard stand is now redundant, (must put it up for sale)

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 06:56:03 PM »
Hi Derek --

Your question has been on my to-do list for some time. Unfortunately, my studio is pretty much shut down and packed away. (We're selling the house.)

I think the MODX may be more capable of emulating an arranger than the earlier XS/XF Motif/MOX. The trick is exploiting the MODX Scenes and Scene buttons. The Arpeggio type is one of the parameters in a Scene. Thus, one should be able to associate arpeggios with a Scene and then select the Scene in real time while playing.

This would take a fair bit of work because one would need to specify an argeggio type for each of the Parts in the Performance. PSR Styles hide all of that detail. So, as an experiment, I would create a few parts -- drum, bass, keys, solo -- and assign an arpeggio to drum, bass and keys in each scene. Maybe have four scenes for MAIN and four scenes for FILL IN.

There isn't AUTO FILL, so you would need to switch into and out of the FILL IN Scenes.

If I ever get set up again, I will try this. Unfortunately, the time frame is super murky...

Hope this helps -- pj

P.S. Perhaps the Motif Performances for MODX would give someone a running start. Creating style-like Scenes from scratch would be a lot of work.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 08:16:24 PM »
Thanks pj, that is helpful and is food for thought.
Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 08:34:09 PM »
Derek,

I think you missed my point and  I interpreted you original post as you were considering buying the MODX in addition to having your Tyros.  Sorry for the mistake.  But I don't see how you can interpret my comments as insulting.

As pj has stated, and anyone who has owned a Motif knows that trying to emulate a style on  a Motif/MOX or Montage/MODX is a lot of work.

Integrating an arranger and a synth is having the best of both worlds because we can make use of the sounds and arps in the synth while playing along with the arranger styles.

I don't see what is so insulting about that.

Regards,
Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

beykock

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 08:43:53 PM »
And what about the PSRS975 ?
Built in stys and arps, right ?

Babette
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:46:12 PM by beykock »

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »
Joe
I think you misread Derek’s post (again🌝🌝). He was not saying that he was insulted by your response, I believe he is referring to you saying someone had insulted you for just asking a question and agreeing with you that was wrong.
Derek - The bottom line on is that as Joe stated styles are complicated things  - even very simple styles, and the typical synth is not set up to make them easily.  In fact it is the provision of styles that defines an arranger.
 As Joe says, the only practical way to get both the top sound engine and styles is to link the two, but that doesn’t seem to be the way you want to go.
Mike

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 09:44:43 PM »
Thank you Mike for the clarification!

:)    :)    :)

Joe H

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 09:50:44 PM »
And what about the PSRS975 ?
Built in stys and arps, right ?

Babette

Yes, as I stated above, the PSR arps are from the Motif.  What I have found is that we have to adjust the Arp Gate Time, Arp Velocity and Unit Multiply for the individual arps playing with specific Voices to get the maximum performance out of them.

We can also record the PSR arps and turn the patterns into Multi Pads or style Parts to create new styles.

;)

Joe H

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 09:57:48 PM »
Sadly, the Yamaha Synth Forum is not exactly known for being a friendly place, although it can be a source of very good information. The moderator there is a mister bad (if you get my drift) who really knows his stuff, but either he tends to come across as-- or else actually is-- a rather short-tempered and dismissive person. I once posted a question there, and he simply deleted my post without giving any explanation as to why! I can guess why he thought it was "objectionable," because I was asking about whether it was okay to give someone the complimentary license for Cubase AI that I got with my MX49BK, since I already have a license for Cubase Elements, and I guess either he thought my question was too dumb, or else Yamaha frowns on "gifting" a complimentary license to someone who didn't purchase the product that the complimentary license was bundled with. Either way, it would have been nice to at least be sent a private message as to what was so objectionable about my post that he felt the need to delete it.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 10:11:31 PM »
I stick to the PSR Tutorial, the layout is the best for my needs, the people here are super friendly and helpful, and I am not so interested in synths. Styles are the backbone of my music.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline pjd

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 10:27:09 PM »
Folks, just to be clear, Derek is wondering how far the MODX synth can be pushed into arranger duties. This is a rather specific question and doesn't cast shade on styles or arrangers.

Yep, there are some sites with people who will cast shade on arrangers -- whether they have played one seriously or not.  :o Thankfully, PSR Tutorial Forum is not one of those places, nor does it include any of the folks on this thread.  :)

I've met the USA Yamaha synth reps including those who post on the Yamaha Synth Web site. They are all decent folk with good intentions. Posting thoughts and advice on the Web (or sending same via e-mail) always runs the risk of misinterpretation or rubbing someone the wrong way. Lord knows how many people I've probably hacked off in my day.  ;)

Derek, I forgot to mention that the MODX added a Rhythm Pattern button which makes it easier to add and set up a Drum Part (Reference Manual, page 184 and Owner's Manual page 43).

BTW, depending upon musical genre, there is a fair bit of commonality between MODX and PSR/Genos voices. I created a MODX Live Set containing the voices that I typically use with Genos/PSR styles.

All the best -- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-sound-alike-voices-on-modx/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:29:19 PM by pjd »

Roland

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 12:03:54 AM »
Hello Derek,

Another way to look at this: Many of the arranger styles are aimed at specific songs (aside of genre). That is one reason why they are so easy to use when playing your favourite well-known songs; everything is well prepared and just a button away. That's a different story on a synth using performances or/and arps. For that great song you like so much, you have to work quite a bit to put something together that comes close to an arranger style.

It's a different beast however if you want to use the synth together with other band members. Here the synth really shines as it complements the band with individual instruments or rhythm patterns. Another area where I'd prefer a MODX or Montage/Motif over an arranger is when writing my own songs. In this situation, I have to play everything myself anyways (and record to a DAW).

And when I just fiddle around to get new ideas or to get inspired, I too prefer a synth (or at times even just a plain piano voice.) But again, that is because I write my own stuff. Other folks will prefer an arranger to get "inspired" as in "ah, I remember this song - always liked it..." sort of thing.

So in other words: It depends maybe a bit on what you would like to do. If it is the playing of existing songs without having to program hours on end for each song - I suggest to look into a less costly arranger, like one of the PSR models. If you want to write your own songs and do your own music recordings - then in my view a synth is a great way to go.

As for the guys at the synth and motifator forums: They have always been very helpful and I never had anyone giving me a hard time. You might find that they may not have the same patience when it comes to things such as not reading the manual. But that I can understand :-)  So don't be afraid to ask away on the synth side of things.

Cheers, Roland

Offline Bill

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 10:58:07 AM »
Hi Dereck

Maybe another option for you (if you go down the MODX only route)  is to use BIAB.     https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm        You will then retain a lot of the benefits of styles.

Regards
Bill
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:21:55 AM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

beykock

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
A synth is absolutely not an arranger keyboard as we all know.

If one is used to work with styles, multipads, voices etc., I would not recommend to buy a synth ( for home playing, I mean ) instead of an arranger.

It is a different world.

Babette
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:18:15 AM by beykock »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 01:50:58 PM »
Maybe it's not quite so easy after all.

I will just have to keep saving up for a Genos :)

Thanks to everyone.

(And sorry for the confusion Joe, Mike was right about what I meant)
Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 05:12:38 PM »
What about the DGX? Would that be an option? It is a piano, but has styles too.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 06:07:38 PM »
I think Derek's whole point was to have access to the wonderful sounds and synth functions of the MODX, along with some styles, so DGXt is not an option. I think we have covered all the bases, and Derek's conclusion is the correct one.
Mike

beykock

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 10:08:15 PM »
Hi Derek,

A very wise decision to go for an arranger keyboard.👍

If a Genos is too expensive, you might go for a perfect, second hand Tyros 4 or Tyros 5.
Take your time to find it.

Several members ( including me ) did the same and confirmed here they are very pleased and happy. So am I.

Take care, Babette
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:12:03 PM by beykock »

Offline mikf

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 10:15:50 PM »
Derek already has a T5, that’s where this thread started!

beykock

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 10:27:14 PM »
OK, sorry missed that information.😱

The Genos ( 1.4 update ! )  might be the best choice for Derek, I guess.😉

Babette

Offline DerekA

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2019, 08:21:04 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts Mark. I stuck with the T5 and am still trying to work up the courage to trade to a Genos :)
Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2021, 05:06:27 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but wanted comment on my proposal to write a tutorial on how to integrate a Yamaha synth with a Yamaha arranger.  My life has been buried in work and other things since I posted the offer above nearly 2 1/2 years ago.  I hope I will have time to finish the project this coming holiday season.  I have had very little time to even play my keyboard this past year.  My apologies to those individuals who have been waiting on me all this time.

:(

Joe H

dkali1

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2021, 08:36:31 PM »
You can change MODX or any synthesizer into an arranger keyboard thru a virtual arranger software like "vArranger"  https://www.varranger.com/
or " One Man Band"  http://www.1manband.nl/omb/

You just need to connect the MODX or any other synthesizer thru midi interface to any of the above applications and the keyboard will work like a synthesizer. It will be easier to use if you use a Windows tablet or a touch screen laptop to operate the tabs, knobs and sliders of the application. Check these demos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/varranger/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3G5-c8MFaU

Even you could use Kontakt or other sample libraries patches with these applicaitons.

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2021, 11:07:06 PM »
Perhaps not what you wanted, but you know you can use the Modx8/7 as a master keyboard, and slave it into your T5 so that you could use the sounds, but still the styles from your T5.

I do the same thing with my CVP309 into my s970. 88 key arranger!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2021, 12:23:43 AM »
You can change MODX or any synthesizer into an arranger keyboard thru a virtual arranger software like "vArranger"...

That's not what I'm referring to. Read Reply #1. What you are talking about is totally different. 

Joe H
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:25:39 AM by Joe H »

Offline danand

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2021, 08:58:04 AM »
Back to the original question (at least from what I understand as original question - "If ModX can serve as standalone arranger")

I found this YT video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC-2CPgNOPY

It looks that someone already "convert" Montage/ModX to a quite decent arranger.
If someone was able to do it, then anyone can do it...

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline pjd

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2021, 07:28:41 PM »
There's no mystery behind this. Montage and MODX have eight Scenes. Each Scene has a button. A single Scene can playback multiple musical phrases ("arpeggios" in Montage terminology) where each phrase is assigned to an instrument voice. If you stack enough phrases within a Scene, you can get a fairly sophisticated arrangement. The phrases (arpeggios) follow left-hand chords, too.

What you don't get is AUTO FILL. Please watch the player's left hand in the video. He manually switches fill patterns in and out by pressing the appropriate scene buttons.

The Montage/MODX in-built phrase library is partly based on deconstructed Tyros and PSR styles. The library also contains phrases from old Yamaha drum boxes, synthesizers, etc. as well as recent creations. Don't bother to look for foxtrot -- you won't it. The library is decidedly tilted toward contemporary styles, being especially strong in EDM, hip-hop, downtempo, chill, etc.

I've built Scene-based Performance like this on MODX. It takes a lot of button pushing although it's not rocket science.

All the best -- pj

J P Morgan

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2021, 10:49:01 PM »
The modx has every part of every song waiting to be found..HVe spent a couple of years digging, and can promise you it goes way beyond what I wanted to find.the arps morph in to arrangements when used with motion control and sequencing.You have to use a second midi controller keyboard to complete the performances.Be prepared to really dig in to the settings.Look at the way inserts are set logically.But I can assure you it has it all.you just need to dig to find it 😊

Offline mikf

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2021, 12:03:00 PM »
The strength of the MODX is in the quality of its voices, and ability to manipulate these to make exciting 'new' sounds. Even the best arrangers fall short of this. But I seriously doubt that the improvement over top end arranger voices is significant in live playing when they are not the lead but part of the accompaniment style. And it is really easy to midi the two machines to get the best of both worlds in live playing using the MODX lead and the arranger styles. That hardly takes any effort at all, just the funds to buy both.
I emphasize 'live playing', because for highest quality recording the full arrangement can - and probably should - be made using multi tracking from a MODX. You don't need styles, you play the parts.  And this is the approach you would take to get a top quality studio recording. No one would ever use a style for a top end recording.
I respect that some people get a lot of fun from finding new ways to use the synths and arrangers, but for the majority of us the beauty of the arranger is not that its perfect, but that it allows us to play songs at a decent level almost instantly.
Mike

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2021, 12:52:49 PM »
Back to the original question (at least from what I understand as original question - "If ModX can serve as standalone arranger")

Definitely yes. And possibly even better than a traditional HW arranger. With almost the same "play it immediately out of the box with no fuss" factor.
We have developed a program to do exactly that: transform a MODX/Montage into an (HW) arranger!! Check www.groovyband.live/modx for all the details. Further expansion packs are in the pipeline and will be added over time.

You can also look at a few videos to see it in action, listen to many audio demos, and also read the manual. Of course you can download a fully functional demo and play with the bundled styles, so that you exactly know what you get (and hopefully best appreciate the software).

Only a few highlights here:

* 1800+ top quality preset sounds (no fillers here!!) with 2 variations each, further perfected and integrated from the stock Montage sounds. Native FMX synthesis. Massive use of DSPs (up to 32 inserts all at once, 24 on MODX). Arranger style (= simplified) editing to create unlimited user sounds.
* 8 Variations styles (including 3 intros/endings and 2 breaks). 8*2 OTSes (with smooth, glitch free, transition).
* 2nd keyboard + pedalboard (or 3rd keyboard) sounds (programmable split/layers) + line-in DSPs managed directly from style setting.
* You can use many MODX/Montage buttons, sliders, knobs to trigger actions (i.e.: fill-in, variation change, ...) + any external MIDI controller (up to 4 midi inputs).
* Touch enabled, high resolution, user interface that seamlessly scales to any screen size/pixel density.
* The software uses only the MODX/Montage performance buffer (a volatile memory location used to load and play the "current" performance), programmed on the fly trough USB. So absolutely NO internal memory location is overwritten. When you shut down Groovyband Live! the MODX/Montage is exactly as it was before. The synth<-->arranger transformation is perfect and takes only a few seconds!!

You can also upgrade any existing Yamaha XG arranger (PSR S/SX, Tyros, Genos, and others, including digital pianos) to this feature set. Check www.groovyband.live/xg.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 12:55:33 PM by groovyband.live »

janamdo

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2021, 02:27:00 PM »
Can this software als be used on other arrangers other than for yamaha ?
What makes this software so special ?

Thanks 

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2021, 04:52:14 PM »
Can this software als be used on other arrangers other than for yamaha ?
What makes this software so special ?

Thanks

The software comes in 2 versions:

A) For XG tone generators (Yamaha arrangers, digital pianos, and generally speaking all keyboards not classified as "synths"). This version is on the market since the end of 2018.
B) For MODX/Montage tone generators. This version has been launched on September 2021 (~3 months ago).

Since both XG and MODX/Montage tone generators require proprietary (non-standard, nobody else uses) SYSEX messages to exploit all their features, then our software does not work with other tone generators. Also not all XG tone generators are born equal, some are more equal (= more capable) than others. Our software requires capabilities at least at the level of a PSR S770, otherwise it will run with reduced functionality (probably you have to remap some sound or dsp effect, but still with higher functionality than the stock Yamaha firmware the hardware is equipped with).

In case of a MODX/Montage the usefulness is obvious: you get a full fledged state of the art arranger where you had nothing with these capabilities.

In case of an XG arranger you get more features. Some highlights are listed in the home page (www.groovyband.live/xg), but the list of improvements is really long: you can skim through the manual to get a broad idea. Anyway, the real difference can only be heard by playing it. There is a free demo with 906 styles to try, and possibly compare with what you have.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 04:58:00 PM by groovyband.live »

janamdo

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2021, 05:15:21 PM »
Thanks for the extensive answering.
Seeing this working in a youtube example is the best.

J P Morgan

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2021, 08:50:21 PM »
There is nothing on YouTube showing you what is actualy really possible with the modx.not even the video where blake plays a famous 80s song..The actual performance for that when its finished is epic.Was scratching my head for well over a year.the missing part of the puzzle was a midi keyboard.It allows the modx to play its arps uninterrupted by chord progressions and bass lines played on the midi keyboard.what makes it much easier also is being able to copy parts from the 8 part performance(some of which are specifically de tuned/ panned etc)to the parts used in the midi keyboard.Am not saying you will get a perfect performance from 3 hours of programming.but once you get in to it you could do a song a day 😊