Author Topic: Backing up Genos  (Read 6746 times)

Offline karl28

Backing up Genos
« on: May 23, 2019, 07:28:42 PM »
Hi,

I've tried backing my genos up to a 64gb memory pen but goes so far and stops saying that there's not enough space. This pen has been formatted on Genos so can't understand why it won't when the built in HD is only 58gb...

I've formatted another drive that I normally use on my mac book to ntfs then plugged it in to genos but it doesn't recognise it...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Karl

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Backing up Genos
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 08:51:55 PM »
Hi Karl,

First of all, when a USB is formatted not all of the memory will be available for use.   I don't have a 64 GB device, but my 32 GB ones have 29.8 GB available for storage after formatting. You should be able to see the total space available on your  device if you examine it on a computer  (BTW, Yamaha keyboards will not be work with devices formatted as NTFS)!

However I don't think that the error you are getting is due to the total space available on the USB!

There is a note about the Data Backup function on page 105 of the Genos Owner's Manual stating:

• If the total size of the target data for
backup exceeds 3.9 GB (excluding
Audio files), the backup function is
not available. If this happens, back up
the User data by copying the items
individually.

The backup function produces a single file (.bup), and I suspect that your data produces a file bigger than the 3.9 GB maximum.

Although you could copy individual items to get around this limitation, quite frankly I think that it is totally ridiculous to limit the backup file to what amounts to less than 10% of the total User drive memory space!  I realise that by default the backup file does not include any audio files on the drive (although you can include them if you wish),  but even so, it seems a bit silly to me! 

Personally I prefer to back up my data as individual files, because if you have a problem with one or more files at some point, you can then restore just what is needed rather than having to restore everything from a '.bup' file.

However if Yamaha see fit to include a backup/restore function, they should make sure that it is fit for purpose, which in the case of Genos, it would seem is not the case!   Maybe there will be a fix for this in the June firmware update.  :-\ ::)

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:56:01 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline karl28

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 09:02:38 PM »
Hi Ian,

I understand that you don't get the full amount of a device when formatted but didn't think it would have a problem backing it up :-)

As it happens, I've manually copied all of my registration files and custom voices etc to a usb pen, and took photos of my custom midi templates for various setups that I have on different gigs.
All of my 3rd party samples are on an external drive so they are safe.

I think Yamaha could of made a better function for this.

Roll on June ;-)

Thanks,

Karl

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 09:53:48 PM »
If the total size of the target data for backup exceeds 3.9 GB (excluding Audio files), the backup function is not available. If this happens, back up
the User data by copying the items individually
Ridiculous, dark-age thinking. I've never heard of anything so stupid on a computer-based device!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 06:55:40 AM »
Ridiculous, dark-age thinking. I've never heard of anything so stupid on a computer-based device!

That's not a ridiculous reflection. If you create a backup file of 3.9 Gb or more, then you can not restore it to Genos. The limitation was made for that reason.  ;)
Watch my video channel

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 07:47:47 AM »
Hi ckobu,

Yes, the maximum single file size for FAT32 is just under 4 GB, but why can't Yamaha design a backup function that allows backups larger than this to be split across multiple files?

Regards

Ian

Offline ckobu

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 08:59:26 AM »
We'll have to ask Yamaha. I think the 3.9GB is quite enough to clean up a lot of small data like registration, rhythms, playlists ... Who has more than that in the USER, can easily backup when connecting Genos to a computer in USB Storage Mode. You do not have to manually copy data to a USB stick as described by Karl.
Watch my video channel

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 09:30:15 AM »
There are a couple of options here:

1. You can copy all the files to your computer.
-- Connect the kbd to your computer via the USB cable.
-- Set the Genos into USB mode by holding down the Playlist button while turning the Kbd on.
-- Now the computer sees the Kbd as just another disk.
-- Copy (not backup) all the folders to a backup location on your computer.

2. You can copy all the files to your memory stick as has been suggested. Copy is better than backup because you can access the files individually.

Regards, Richard
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 02:25:54 PM by RichardL »

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 12:23:47 PM »
Good ideas, guys.

What files do you backup? I assume Registrations, Custom Voices, and Custom Styles. What else? I don't store any MIDI or Audio songs. Thanks...
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 12:40:18 PM »
You can see the entire contents in the USER memory folded by folders and copy/paste them to your computer.
Watch my video channel

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 12:42:00 PM »
So, just the entire USER memory, ckobu? Thanks.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »
If you want to save large content from User section you would not use Backup Restore function. You would use Copy and Paste either to USB or computer.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 02:21:37 PM »
I copy registrations, user styles and user voices to another USB drive.  Use the copy and paste command.   Midi files and mp3s are backed up in a separate hard drive.  I've done it this way for many years.  It works very well and I've never had to do a restore because of a problem with any arranger I've owned.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline pjd

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 02:58:20 PM »
Hi --

I use a variation of Steve's method. By far, the audio files take up the most storage space. Fortunately, the Genos Backup screen lets the user chose to include or exclude audio files in the backup. I choose to exclude the audio files and leave the audio files box unchecked.

In this case, Genos saves everything except the audio files. I back up audio files using the copy/paste method.

Please see the attached JPEG screen capture.

All the best -- pj

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ckobu

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 07:52:11 PM »
If we want to back up all data on Genos we should have this:
1. * .ppi file to install EXPANSION material (made in YEM and contains all installed Pack)
2. * .bup file that we create via Utility> Factory reset / Backup (USB stick storage)
3. If USER is larger than 3.9 Gb, we need to copy all Genos files to HD (via USB Storage Mode)

It is important to note that method 3. does not store all general settings like VH2, Parameter Lock, User efect ... That is why we must have *. bup on a USB stick. Likewise, methods 2. and 3. do not store EXPANSION content. Therefore, in YEM on the computer, we must have * .ppf / cpf files from each single Pack and * .ppi file that merges them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:15:02 PM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 08:56:12 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone :)!