Author Topic: Cubase 10 bargain  (Read 12775 times)

Offline ugawoga

Cubase 10 bargain
« on: May 08, 2019, 04:02:31 PM »
Worth a butchers 8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Roland

Re: Cubase 10 bargain
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM »
Hello John,

Thank you - I saw that too this morning. But what about existing Cubase users - any discounts there? I didn't seem to find anything on that :-(

Cheers, Roland

Roland

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 05:28:14 PM »
Ah - I found my own answer on the Steinberg site - here is what it reads:

"*This offer only includes full versions of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 and the competitive crossgrade from all major DAWs to Cubase Pro 10. Updates, upgrades and educational versions are not part of the promotion."

Which is not very nice of them - what about their existing loyal customers?

Cheers, Roland

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »
They will have other offers too,

Which could affect the old customers only. 
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 06:10:19 PM »
Also what's the difference between Pro and Education version?

Cubase - Kontakt6

Roland

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 06:19:49 PM »

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 07:05:24 PM »

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 12:30:50 AM »
This must be Yamaha's marketing scheme.

???    ???    ???

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Roland

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 01:12:46 AM »
Hello Norman,

Thanks for the Steinberg forum link update. That is good news, as Matthias is saying there that they didn't forget the existing users - it will just happen later this year.

Maybe the overall rant is just because of perspectives: If you celebrate a corporate "event", one usually expects that all existing customers and potential new customers are "added to the party" :-)  But for my part, I am glad to hear that our turn will come a bit later this year.

Cheers, Roland

Roy_T

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 01:29:57 AM »
On 08 May, 2019 Roland said:

Internet and cell phone service providers have been getting away with making ground breaking deals to "new customers only" for years.

It appears that the definition of "loyalty" has fallen prey to the "new norm" syndrome.

Roy
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:39:21 AM by Roy_T »

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 02:00:05 AM »
I am using Bandllad's Cakewalk SONAR Platinum for free.
Should I switch to Cubase? What does it have better?
I have been using Cakewalk since 2002, I am very curious about Cubaase because I find it quite popular,
can I adapt to Cubase in a short time?
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 07:13:50 AM »
I am using Bandllad's Cakewalk SONAR Platinum for free.
Should I switch to Cubase? What does it have better?
I have been using Cakewalk since 2002, I am very curious about Cubaase because I find it quite popular,
can I adapt to Cubase in a short time?

What are your goals?

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Brian 007

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 08:24:13 AM »
Hi Snicker740,

I have both of those free programs,  my cubase is AI9.5 and the only things I have found different for my usage is,

Cubase has the Chord Track feature and the midi dissolve feature, now not being an expert on either
of these programs there may be more.

Brian007

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 06:03:51 PM »
I would be happy to bypass all these fancy price incentives in favor of a comprehensive manual on how to get my Genos to talk nice, directly with Cubase. What good is a program when you can never figure out how to use it? Yamaha hand-holds all the Montage players through the hookup procedure to Cubase, but as far as Genos users go, Yamaha thinks we do nothing but sit around the living room and play :(. Some of us want to record!!

Recording on the Genos, and then importing to Cubase works but only to a certain point. There are still too many trap doors!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline jugge

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »
I did some test with Cubase 10 today and tried various methods to record both midi and audio. Like Lee says, it is possible to record a small piece of midi with the quick record function in Genos and then save the file and import it to cubase for further editing. When finished editing in Cubase, you can record the midi as a multitrack audio file in Genos and add a vocal track etc.. This will work, but it's not an ideal workflow.

I also have a Yamaha AG06 mixer that has a built in audio interface, so my next test was to use that to record the audio directly in Cubase. The problem with this method, is that I first need to connect external audio cables from Genos to the AG06 and I also suspect that the audio quality will suffer though to the d/a conversion. 

Everything would have been so much easier if Yamaha had included a build in audio interface from the beginning. I am not sure why they didn't. Even my entry level MX49 have one. Wonder if it would be possible to add this function in a future software release or it will not be possible without any hardware upgrade.
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 06:44:47 PM »
To be honest
Cubase is useful for Studio Purpose.

Since we are Keyboard players, we are more than happy with the keyboard

Now for those who would like to take it to the next level.
VSTs are very helpful.
Regards Norman!

Cubase - Kontakt6

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 03:00:40 AM »
VSTs are great Norman - agreed, however, the Genos styles are so handy because they are already built.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 07:14:03 AM »
VSTs are great Norman - agreed, however, the Genos styles are so handy because they are already built.

Totally agree with you,
Genos should be more than enough.

I feel Cubase will be quite handy for those who have
PSR s975 and lower

Also with Tyros 4 and 3.

I've got Konkat complete 11
But I want to share it with the forum members.
Don't know how to do it.
Regards Norman!

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline jugge

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 10:08:44 AM »
Yes, the Genos have really fantastic sounds (the best I have heard in a workstation) and it should be enough most of the time. The reason for me to use Cubase would rather be for the editing possibility's.
What do you think about the following method? It should work as long as you have an external audio interface and wouldn't involve connecting audio cables from the Genos to the DAW.

1. Record and editing the MIDI data on either Genos or in Cubase.
2. Record the MIDI data to a wave file in Genos.
3. Import the wave file in Cubase and add Vocal tracks, VSTi's etc.
4. Mixdown the audio tracks to a single wave file in Cubase
5. Optional you could import the wave file back to Genos and add the vocal track there instead

Best regards
/Jorgen

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 10:15:57 AM »
Also what's the difference between Pro and Education version?

It means that students get away with paying less for the same thing.

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:32:55 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »
It means that students get away with paying less for th same thing.

All the best
At the moment
Education is more expensive than pro
After discount

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 10:30:59 AM »
Ah - I found my own answer on the Steinberg site - here is what it reads:

"*This offer only includes full versions of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 and the competitive crossgrade from all major DAWs to Cubase Pro 10. Updates, upgrades and educational versions are not part of the promotion."

Cheers, Roland

Hi Roland
Hope you are keeping well .
Still Practicing and will have a few songs done soon

This is the thing with all companies today. They always look after newcomers before the loyal customers.
The same with IK Multimedia.
I have most of Syntronic synths and for someone buying the deluxe version (about 23 synths )gets a better deal than i can buy the extra four or five Synths.
The same with the Effects from IK

The same also goes for buying Car Insurance. Once run out they rely on your inertia to forget to shop around. The newcomer again will get a better deal.
My Insurance is the same now as it was ten years ago, only by switching back and forward with companies with the same underwriters.
TV rental with Virginmedia the same. Each year the cost goes up and up. Threaten to leave and that brings the cost down.
LOYALTY DOES NOT EXIST TODAY! :P

All the best
john :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:40:39 AM by ugawoga »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 10:32:31 AM »
At the moment
Education is more expensive than pro
After discount

Try shopping around different online stores.

You can also get BANDLAB  Cakewalk's Sonar Platinum free if you go to the BANDLAB site.
It is the same as my version I paid a lot of money for and is a good daw. You would be surprised.
Now I mainly use Cubase. I was a lucky one who got a Sonar Platinum refugee deal.
Mixcraft is great for VST , but no good with Genos as it lacks Sys Ex.

All the best
john
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:42:26 AM by ugawoga »

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 01:00:10 PM »
1. Record and edit the MIDI data on either Genos or in Cubase.
3. Import the wave file in Cubase and add Vocal tracks, VSTi's, etc.
5. Optional you could import the wave file back to Genos and add the vocal track there instead
I use this procedure, Jorgen. The problem arises when you import your Genos MIDI file and want to experiment with different voices. I have never found an easy way to conveniently change the Voices within Cubase, other than through the Events List window (not sure if I have the correct name of that window). In theory, I should be able to use the drop-down list of voices in each channel to choose a different voice from the Genos Definition file. I have never got that to work right. I've always had to do it manually through the Events list, which means looking up the numbers, typing in the Program, LSB, and MSB numbers.

And of course, the documentation is not specific enough in the Cubase manual and non-existent in the Genos manual. The Cubase manual is written to an Expert audience only. If Yamaha would extend the same courtesy to their Genos customers as they do their Montage customers, by giving them proper standalone configuration software, we could be getting even more out of our Genos. Musical inspiration is destroyed when you have to wrestle with confusing and enigmatic software.

Offline jugge

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 03:55:58 PM »
When I had the MX49 I was spoiled with great tutorials on how to use it together with Cubase and other DAWs.  All done by Bad Mr. over at the Yamaha synth site.
I wish he will be doing some tutorials for the Genos in the future, even though I doubt that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:58:11 PM by jugge »

Bachus

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 04:52:24 PM »
When I had the MX49 I was spoiled with great tutorials on how to use it together with Cubase and other DAWs.  All done by Bad Mr. over at the Yamaha synth site.
I wish he will be doing some tutorials for the Genos in the future, even though I doubt that.

The US development team(synths and stage piano’s) offers so much more support then the European team (arrangers and clavinova cvp and csp) ..

Its been said many many times before.. its not only the great extra content, but also the tutorials.. and the official Yamaha synth forums where Yamaha employees answer all your questions.

Its incredible how much difference in support there is between 2 parts of the same company.

Offline jugge

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
Found this video on Youtube. It shows how to setup Genos with Cubase and how to record styles directly to Cubase.
https://youtu.be/laDCbH7jH7c

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 09:30:26 PM »
Hi
It just goes to show on that video how awkward it is just to get a rythm section going.
To me that is long winded .
In my view It is best to record your song on the Genos sequencer. After that transfer to Cubase and make sure you have the Genos workstation up on each track of your recording and presto all plays ok.
You can do edits, but sounds may double sometimes and strange things might happen when stopping and starting . This can be rectified by going back before the last program change or go back to the beginning and go forward again.
I split the lead track with program changes and cut with scissors and slide down to another track and that helps to get rid of strange things that may happen. Not always funny enough. A glip always rears it's head now and then
Once happy save to midi file and transport back to the Genos for adding some pads or tarting things up for a final session.
I always now record the finished song on the Genos to wave.
After that back to Cubase to do some limiting and that brings things up to -14 LUF's, The new standard in sound or -3db.
Some may prefer Audacity for a quick limiting and amplifying which can do a good job.

I keep practicing and record the whole piece and then do minor edits to tighten things up. after that i may add pads on separate tracks to fatten out a song.
If you want serious recording go VST and become a master lego brick builder and beat yourself up adding effects and mastering. Big learn curve but keep on plugging away.
More than I can say about Swindon Town FC :P :P :P :-\ :o >:( :)
All the best
John  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 09:46:45 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2019, 12:50:50 PM »
Thanks for the link, Jugge.

I agree with John that it is still a very convoluted process to record the Genos directly to Cubase. At least this guy figured out how to set things up. He still has to jump through all kinds of hoops to get tracks laid down. And this thing with going back to the Genos, selecting a different style, and then re-selecting the original style (at around 9:36 in the video), is just plain ridiculous!! To me, that indicates a major failure in the way Genos sends MIDI data - similar to having to restart Windows every time you make a spelling mistake :)!

Perhaps Yamaha will wake up and acknowledge the professional applications available in the Genos - beyond just sitting and playing. Their onboard MIDI sequencer obviously works perfectly. Why can't they create similar software to play nice with Cubase?? Why shroud everything in riddles??

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 11:39:23 AM »
In my view It is best to record your song on the Genos sequencer. After that transfer to Cubase and make sure you have the Genos workstation up on each track of your recording and presto all plays ok.

PERIOD!

That's what the builtin sequencer is for. The technology is there, just use it. If you wanna follow a different path, it's gonna be hard, and I'm afraid this will not change in the future.
Regards, Michael

Offline jugge

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »
To make things a bit easier, at least we can create a MIDI template on the Genos with all the settings needed to record to Cubase. And we can also create a template in Cubase with all channels needed for recording a style pre-populated.
Still not optimal but at least we don't need to change all settings in Genos and Cubase everytime we want to record a style or editing midi in Cubase.
Here are some more links that explain this process.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFu_Ac5213I
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byxeh_RlhNg

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »
Michael, no one is debating that recording on the Genos is easiest. It's when you want to change a track or re-record some tracks that things get very complicated. Yes, you can overdub or re-record right on the Genos, but it is awkward - mainly due to the way Yamaha designs their OS. The workflow in a dedicated DAW is far more desirable. As John pointed out, you need to treat the Genos recording differently than traditional VST or hard synth recording. In the latter two, after you have a template built, it's fairly straight forward. Not always with the Genos.

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 01:31:03 PM »
You're right, Lee, editing a MIDI recording is no fun at the Genos. Save it as a MIDI file and use your preferred DAW to do that. But by any means, when you're recording a style/multi-pad performance, start with the onboard sequencer. It does insert all those initial programs, controllers and DSP sysexes, that you really don't want to fiddle around even when you're a close friend to the MIDI event world. Recall that in Cubase (or any other DAW) there is no built in support for this. There is no support for Genos, Tyros, PSR, not even XG.

BTW Yamaha's synth department follows the same strategy. When you're targeting at recording a multitrack performance using ARPs, Yamaha's BadMister always advocates to record the performance with the builtin sequencer as a start, and continue editing using a DAW.

If you're multitracking from scratch (no usage of styles etc), you could start recording in your DAW right away, but again, I would setup voices/DSP etc at the Genos. Similar to what Yamaha recommends for the MODX here:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/modx-category/mastering-modx-midi-record-on-daw

Of course it would be nice to have a VST that allows you to do this setup, so you could configure everything in your DAW and save this with your project. I think, chances are good that we will see this for the MODX/Montage, because you could do just this in the Motif line of synths. For me it is hard to believe that Yamaha will deliver something similar for their arrangers. As long as Yamaha had abandoned XG Works (two decades or so) users have not stopped requesting tools for easy DAW MIDI recording using Tyros. Even after aquiring Steinberg nothing happened. Let's face it, it will just not happen. It's an economical descision. The vast majority of Genos owners won't even touch a DAW.

Regards, Michael

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 01:42:57 PM »
Hi
For the Genos midi side sequencer first, then daw editing, then back to Genos for enhancements. Record on the Genos to wave

For serious cubase work us VST's

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 02:51:17 PM »
Great explanation, Michael!

Too bad Yamaha doesn't see a higher-end use for its Genos players. The Genos is flogged as a pro-level keyboard, and yet the recording side is heavily restricted to the amateur level. If they can make it work seamlessly inside the Genos, they can do the same outside the Genos with a simple config file for Cubase. But there's that profit thing again...make us pay a small fee for the magic config file!! I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:53:50 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline jugge

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2019, 04:35:18 PM »
We should raise money and buy a Genos for BadMister. Then just wait for the tutorials :P
I have owned several Yamaha keyboards over the years (started with a DX7 about 33 years ago), but the Genos is by far the best keyboard I've owned. If Yamaha could just fix a smoother integration with Cubase, nothing would beat this beast.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:50:49 PM by jugge »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 09:14:09 AM »
We should raise money and buy a Genos for BadMister. Then just wait for the tutorials :P
I have owned several Yamaha keyboards over the years (started with a DX7 about 33 years ago), but the Genos is by far the best keyboard I've owned. If Yamaha could just fix a smoother integration with Cubase, nothing would beat this beast.
100% with you there!!

All the Best

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »
Bad Mister probably has one :)!

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2019, 09:47:34 AM »
Yes, the Genos have really fantastic sounds (the best I have heard in a workstation) and it should be enough most of the time. The reason for me to use Cubase would rather be for the editing possibility's.
What do you think about the following method? It should work as long as you have an external audio interface and wouldn't involve connecting audio cables from the Genos to the DAW.

1. Record and editing the MIDI data on either Genos or in Cubase.
3. Import the wave file in Cubase and add Vocal tracks, VSTi's etc.

Best regards
/Jorgen

This is pretty much what I do as well.
The only differences are:
1. I use my Midi Maker software to make the initial midi file with lyrics.
2. I record the midi file by playing the Midi Maker file to the keyboard, while playing extra parts on the keyboard.
3. I export the lyrics from Midi Maker and import them into the recorded midi file to make a complete backing track.
4. I play the backing track on the Keyboard and sing the song while recording a wav file on my mixer, which has a built-in recorder. I do this because I use an external voice processor not the keyboard VH. I also get a separate audio track for each channel by using the mixer recorder.
5. I use Cakewalk by Bandlab (Sonar) or Audacity to clean up the audio recording and add some effects if I need to.

Regards,
Richard