Author Topic: Genos registration numbers fading away !!!!!!  (Read 34060 times)

Re: Genos registration numbers fading away !!!!!!
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2019, 01:30:58 PM »
Interesting points, Sergey.

It's equally interesting that the Tyros series was in the same class as you describe, and yet, their buttons never faded. If Yamaha has to use inferior buttons just to survive in the musical instrument world, then their finances must be in terrible shape. There are other ways they could save money other than using buttons that fade. Unfortunately, this is becoming a trend these days. When quality control goes right out the window with companies like Yamaha and Honda (don't even get me started on that off-topic) who used to be at the top of the pile, we're in trouble.

For users, the buttons are one of the most critical parts of the keyboard. It's like buying a car and the steering wheel slowly turns to soft rubber over a few years. We need robust labeling that stands the test of time as it did in the Tyros series. Just think of what faded buttons will do for the trade-in value :'(.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2019, 09:53:24 PM »
Hi Lee
There is a lot of hoo haa about these buttons
I reckon it was a bad batch that sometimes escapes quality control
I have looked at mine here in the UK and they look well protected.
Anyway Yamaha would replace them for sure as for some it is a manufacturing fault

All the best John    :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:56:25 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2019, 10:17:07 PM »
Agreed, John. So far, my buttons are as good as new. It is definitely possible for a bad batch to reach production. You're right, I'm sure Yamaha would step up to the plate and fix the problem.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2019, 05:17:31 PM »
FYI

I contacted Yamaha USA and explain the problem .. . . .  I believe maybe i got a bad batch of buttons.

I asked for ALL printed buttons to be replaced.  Not only the ones fading.

Yamaha said they did not have any other reports except mine.   They opened up a case and asked me pics which i sent this morning.

They said will research and let me know their decision.

I will keep you informed.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Bud2

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2019, 07:41:35 PM »
They should replace them all if it is a bad batch, it would cost them nothing in comparison to the bad reports they would get from people who had to suffer a bad batch which were not replaced.
Bill

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2019, 05:12:42 PM »
Bill

You are absolutely right.  !!!!!

I contacted Yamaha and told them about the new buttons that are fading .. . .  I also said that i thought i had a bad batch of buttons and asked to replace them all . . .

Well not all, but all the buttons that have letters or numbers on it . . . . I count something like 42 (i do not have the Genos in front of me right now but i think i counted 42 total)

Yamaha opened up a case and after a couple of days they said they have extended the warranty until the end of this year 2019.   Labor and parts free of charge . . . . however, their email did not specify if i could take the keyboard and have them change all buttons at once or if it would be on a case by case basis . . . 

I called back to clarify but have not been able to connect.

This is really good from Yamaha because my one-year USA warranty actually expired early January 2019.

To me that means that i could take the keyboard now to replace the couple of buttons that are fading . . . . on the other hand, i might just wait until November to take them all at once . . .

Still thinking about it . . .

Thanks

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:14:56 PM by Al Ram »
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Cheshire Chris

« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2019, 07:49:11 AM »
I'm surprised to hear that Yamaha only offer a 1-year warranty in the US. In the UK the warranty period is 5 years! I wonder why there's such a huge difference?

Best wishes,

Chris

The following users thanked this post: tyrosaurus

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2019, 03:26:02 PM »
I'm surprised to hear that Yamaha only offer a 1-year warranty in the US. In the UK the warranty period is 5 years! I wonder why there's such a huge difference?

Hi Chris,

The standard Yamaha Guarantee for most keyboards sold in the EEA (which includes UK) is currently 24 months.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/warranty/index.html     

https://download.yamaha.com/files/tcm:39-627776#page=32   (opens PDF at UK start page)

As the page at the above link shows, Yamaha does have some extended warranty campaigns which offer up to five years total cover, but currently the only 'keyboard' instruments included in these are AvantGrand and Clavinova (CSP/CLP/CVP) pianos.

I think that you will find that the five year warranties that some UK dealers are currently offering, are actually the standard Yamaha one for the first two years, followed by a further three years support from the dealer.  The extent of cover during the final three years may be different from that offered by Yamaha, and of course assumes that the dealer is still in business then!

Still worth having though!

Regards

Ian

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 04:13:56 PM by tyrosaurus »

Cheshire Chris

« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2019, 10:00:29 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that, Ian. I currently have a Yamaha P-515 digital piano, and that has a 5-year guarantee. I seem to recall it got extended to 5 years by registering the instrument with Yamaha.

Best wishes,

Chris