Author Topic: Anyone using Dorico with Cubase and Genos  (Read 4181 times)

Offline ugawoga

Anyone using Dorico with Cubase and Genos
« on: May 21, 2019, 08:08:22 PM »
Hi
I am wondering If Dorico Elements would be useful with Cubase and Genos.
There Is an offer on Dorico at the moment and making lead sheets could be useful.
Is Dorico Elements worth the trouble.
I have looked at the pro version, but that looks like another steep learn curve.
The only thing that i picked out of a video is that Dorico quantizes everything, so making music sheets i can understand but not recording inside it as it could take away that human element.
Drum patterns and bass ok, but not your lead playing.
Anyone have any thoughts on that.?

all the best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Re: Anyone using Dorico with Cubase and Genos
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 09:57:32 PM »
John, I use Musescore. It works very well and is free. Before I give Steinberg another red cent, I need a proper Cubase->Genos interface - one that actually works and does not require an advanced degree in electrical engineering to understand. Cubase is a wonderful product but not at all meant for the novice or faint of heart! :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 10:24:35 PM »
Hi Lee
Just had a look at Musicscore and looks better than Dorico.
The trouble with Dorico Is that Steinburg put a Version of Halion in there which bumps up the price and I do not need that as I have Sampletank.
Had a look at the first video and looks good enough to handle.
Still Practicing but have not put any songs up for a while.Will do shortly again.
So Much to do and so little time!! :)

Just done my back in today cleaning the guttering on our bungalow.
Summer is here and lots of decorating to catch up with also.
I am stiff as a board at the moment!! ;D

It does not get easier as you put on the years :( :P ::)

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:28:39 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 10:50:11 PM »
You're right, John. Physical labor and chronic musicianship just don't mix ;D.

I've used Musescore for about 5 years. I only use it for chord charts. It's the only software I know of that lets you do that. I attached a sample chart I wrote for Fly Me To The Moon. Now, if we could just convince Yamaha to have the Genos recognize PDF files...

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 09:06:44 AM »
Hi Lee

Thanks for your reply .
I will go through the video's this weekend. and finish off two new songs that I have done.
Couple of covers then on to the Genos and  VST. Start my own music hopefully.
I must admit that using pads properly, it fattens out songs and gives them groove and movement.
Update to look forward to then in June and hopefully Brexit"Pigs Might Fly"!! ;D

All the Best
John

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 02:39:19 PM »
You're right, John. Physical labor and chronic musicianship just don't mix ;D.

I've used Musescore for about 5 years. I only use it for chord charts. It's the only software I know of that lets you do that. I attached a sample chart I wrote for Fly Me To The Moon. Now, if we could just convince Yamaha to have the Genos recognize PDF files...

Hi Lee --

Thanks for posting that example. It makes me want to take a look at that aspect of Musescore. There are several tunes in my rep where I only have chords and Musescore produces a nice looking chart.

Take care -- pj

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 05:47:02 PM »
Glad to help, pj. It is a very nice program.

Offline Oldden

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 07:01:10 PM »
For the price of Genos why couldn’t Yamaha have given us a cut down version of Cubase  free. I believe they used to do something similar a few years ago. I still remember Yamaha’s XGWORKS and still think it did some things that were far better that Cubase can ever do.
Oldden

Offline Oldden

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 07:05:34 PM »
I tried a version of Dorito some time ago when it was still being worked on, and found that Sibelius was far easier to use and gave better results. Might be different now but it’s worth a look.also had a look at Finale and found it had a much steeper learning curve.
Oldden

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 09:29:22 PM »
For the price of Genos why couldn’t Yamaha have given us a cut down version of Cubase  free. I believe they used to do something similar a few years ago. I still remember Yamaha’s XGWORKS and still think it did some things that were far better that Cubase can ever do.
Oldden

Hi Oldden --

Given the big, multinational corporate structure of Steinberg and Yamaha, I wouldn't be surprised if real money changes hands between Steinberg and Yamaha Japan.

We often discuss the need for integration with Cubase. I was told by a Steinberg rep that a Yamaha product group (e.g., the Genos group) needs to formally request features to be added to Cubase, if the product group thinks the features are part of the desired/needed "customer experience." I wouldn't be surprised if the product group needed to fund the development, even if it's internal money. (Speculation is mine.)

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: Oldden