Author Topic: How to show expansion module on Tyros 5?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Toril S

How to show expansion module on Tyros 5?
« on: May 19, 2019, 10:48:54 PM »
Hello friends!
I have a used T5, and I wonder if there is a way to find out if it has the expansion module without opening the keyboard?
I guess it is not there, but one can hope. I see they are really expensive, so if I find a treasure there will be a beer on everyone on the forum :) I have tried tapping on the underside of the keyboard. Suspiciously hollow sound.... Plastic and air.... Well well, we shall see :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline pjd

Re: How to show expansion module on Tyros 5?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 12:14:05 AM »
Hello Toril --

Page 108 of the T5 owner's manual describes tha installtion of the module.

One way to check, is to remove the four screws from the module cover and look inside. If the socket under the cover is empty, then no module is installed.

All the best -- pj

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 02:14:08 AM »
Hi Toril,

If you don't fancy turning your T5 over and opening the flap on the case to check for the expansion module, then if you have Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) installed on your computer, you could try the following.

Export the 'Instrument Info' file from your T5 to a USB as follows. 

Press [FUNCTION] > [H] UTILITY > Tab to OWNER.
Press the [E] (EXPORT INSTRUMENT INFO) button and then follow the onscreen instructions.

Now transfer the USB to your computer and import the 'Instrument Info' file into YEM as follows.  (I have attached a screen shot to this post if it helps).

In YEM click the [ + ] button next to 'Install Target' (1 in the screen shot) and select 'Import Instrument Info'.  This will open a file selection window. Navigate to the USB, and in the root folder you should see the file listed.   Click 'Open' to import the info file into YEM.

YEM should now show your T5 in the list below 'Install Target' as 'TYROS5'.

Click on 'TYROS5' in the list ( 2 ) and check the panel at the top of the screen.   Make sure that it is showing 'Voice Wave Size' (3).

If an expansion module is fitted to your T5, its size should be included in the data within the Info file, and this should now be displayed to the right of 'Voice Wave Size' in the format 'n/xxxx' (4), where xxxx is the size of the expansion module in MB.

To be honest I don't know what YEM displays if you import a Target with no expansion memory fitted. It may even not accept it as a Target!

However if it allows you to complete the above sequence, and (4) shows a value of around 512, 1024 or 2048 then this should confirm that a module is fitted (the screen shot shows a T5 fitted with a 1024 MB module for example).

Of course you could just turn the T5 over and check rather than try the above, but if you do, and you find that a module is fitted, then you will need to import the info file into YEM to use it anyway!

Regards

Ian

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:51:33 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 07:04:48 AM »
Pj and Ian, thank you so much!😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page