Author Topic: My Genos Froze.  (Read 35773 times)

Offline Pianoman

Re: My Genos Froze.
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2019, 11:34:39 AM »
Those gigs are gold, Abby! Good for you my friend. I just may hop a plane and come over to hear you play. Mind if I join you on the piano?

You're all welcome to Ibiza, and on the piano.
Mind you, this place is wild and expensive in the summer.
Wild women come here, and....ahem.....men too..

Still waiting for Gary.

Best Regards.
Abby.

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2019, 12:20:36 PM »
Lee, I had serious thoughts of doing this, hopping on a jet and heading for Ibiza. However, turns out there are some problems packing a portable oxygen generator on a plane these days. Plus, recharging them in some nations would be out of the question.

Also thought about sailing my sailboat there, but I'm just too damned old to cross the Atlantic on a 33-foot sailing yacht. The trip takes about 3 weeks under ideal conditions, too much for this old fart. :)

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Or, Abby could come and visit you. I'll need your address :)!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Yinon

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2019, 12:42:42 PM »
Hi Abby,

One more note about the sub.
According to the pictures you have Behringer B1500HP Eurolive.

If this is correct, you have an active crossover in it.
The best way to utilize it is get the JBL's connected to it using the output channels.

The way to do it is run your L & R balanced XLR from the mixer to the sub input, and then from the sub-outputs to your left and right speakers.

If connected like that, it means that the split of frequencies will happen without special attention.
The crossover on the sub is making sure that only the mid/high frequencies are getting to the main speakers while the low frequencies comes from the sub only.

This way there is less concerns about doubling the low-mid range (which often is the "muddy") issues you get.

To make sure you get the most of each room, set you Genos to play and start moving the crossover point until it sounds the best.
(Each venue will have a different cross spot).

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »
Thanks, Yinon. I didn't see that. Excellent idea. That takes all the guesswork out. It will also tell you if the Behringer sub is up to the task, which it probably is :).

Also, the Outputs to the EONS appear to be crossed at 100 Hz, by looking at the label. This means the sub will handle frequencies from 100 Hz and lower. The EONS will handle frequencies 100 Hz and higher.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 12:53:17 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2019, 08:22:22 PM »
Thanks for the tip Yinon and Lee.

It is indeed the Behringer B1500HP Eurolive Sub.
I'm using passive speakers though, so I'm not sure if that also  applies to passive
speakers too.

If they do, that would be fantastic. I would just need to buy a couple more cables.

My speakers are  EON 1500s.

Best Regards.
Abby.

« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »
I don't think that works on passive speakers. You would need to route the XLR outputs from the sub to a power amp, or powered mixer, and then to the EONS. Opinions anyone?

Or could Abby use his Yamaha powered mixer as "the mixer" in the above statement? I've never routed signal in that fashion. Too convoluted.

Offline Yinon

« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2019, 02:43:19 PM »
Hi Abby,

Unfortunately - this will not work with passive speakers.  :-\
But now that Lee identifies the cross point for the JBL's (100KHz), it's an easier task.

Dial the 100KHz cross point on the sub and there should be no redundancy in frequencies.

One more thought ...
I know I may be out of line but perhaps you should consider a different PA system mainly as you gig every night ...

I'm using 2 L1 compacts for small venues (up to 70 people).
I'm using 2 EV Evolve 50 for mid size venues (up to 150 people)
I'm using my EV ZLX 12" and EV 18 sub for anything lrger than 150 ...

All are powered.
This allows me to reduce the mixer to a small Mackie ProFX12V2 (very small and light) ....

This saves a lot of room in the car (...and a lot of weight off my back).

The L1's and Evolve's are taking less than one min to setup and tear down ....
Absolutely recommended.

Cheers!

« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2019, 05:11:57 PM »
Ditto on using self-powered line array systems like the L1 or any of the LD-Systems products, from the Maul 5 on up to their beastly systems.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2019, 07:22:21 PM »
I'm forced to agree, Abby. Your current setup probably sounds great, but there are far lighter options these days. I can see wanting to keep the Kawai piano, even at 70+ pounds. If your budget permits, perhaps it's time to buy an inclusive powered system, that is Mains and sub that are engineered to work together. There a ton of options from which to choose.

Guys and gals, I just hope we didn't plant the seeds in Abby's head that will land him in trouble with "Mrs. Abby" :)!

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2019, 07:50:32 PM »
http://fohonline.com/articles/road-tests/yamaha-dzr10-d-and-dxs15-xlf-speakers/ http://www.audiotechnology.com/yamaha-dzr-series-powered-speakers/ Dante version not necessary here to keep cost down... And to quote foh-online "so when I say the Yamaha DZR/DXS speakers sound magnificent, it doesn’t come lightly"
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:10:13 PM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2019, 12:26:50 AM »
....However, turns out there are some problems packing a portable oxygen generator on a plane these days....

Good luck,

Gary 8)

As so often, when I read that, I felt I have overstayed my welcome in this world.  My son is paralyzed (accident driving his YAMAHA motorbike).He he now has "an external sceleton suit". Has participated in a 200 m "marathon".  But coming to Finland from Italy he needs many hours to "clear" the security inspection. They must make sure he is not a terrorist in disguise intending to blow up the plane.
Due to the fact that I since 30 years perform only to collect money for charity Finnair, SAS, Lufthansa and Alitalia  graciously used to carry all my equipment, some 100 kg for free. Haven't  had gigs abroad since two years so I am not sure, but I suspect  they would say "that was then".   

Cheers

Kaarlo

« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2019, 01:45:07 PM »
So sorry to hear about your son, Kaarlo. No parent (or child) should have to go through that. It's a sad state of affairs when the world treats those who try to do good, as terrorists. Equally sad when they won't help you do charity work. My thoughts are with you, my friend.

- Lee

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2019, 01:58:15 PM »
So sorry to hear about your son, Kaarlo. No parent (or child) should have to go through that. It's a sad state of affairs when the world treats those who try to do good, as terrorists. Equally sad when they won't help you do charity work. My thoughts are with you, my friend.

- Lee

Kaarlo,   I echo Lee’s comments, sorry to hear of your problems. 
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Toril S

« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2019, 03:49:24 PM »
So am I Kaarlo.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline hans1966

« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2019, 05:08:23 PM »
Hello Karlo, I am very sorry about your son, I accompany you with my thoughts. a hug. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"