Author Topic: Question abou expansions pack migration from previous Genos owner  (Read 2584 times)

Offline jugge

Hello,

I bought a 2 months old Genos last week and I am very happy with it. It came with 5 expansion packs pre-installed. I later found out that all the packs got deleted when I tried to load another pack that I got for free when I registered the keyboard.  I then asked the previous owner if he could send me the original pack files, but he told me it is not possible because they where tied to his Yamaha account. He said it was possible to migrate them over to my own account but that it was quite a lot of work and he wanted $200 for this.  Is it even possible to do that? He claims that the price for the 5 packs is about $700 if I buy them. What do you think? Should I accept or just let it go?
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

Offline DerekA

Re: Question abou expansions pack migration from previous Genos owner
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 06:52:30 PM »
Have you tried EMailing Yamaha musicsoft directly for advice?

I know that the site gets some bashing here, but I have had to contact them a couple of times and they were very helpful.
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 12:21:50 AM »
Hello Derek are these five packs all Yamaha ones as Music soft also sell third party packs. Probably all these packs are copy write and can not be passed on as they will be registered to the account that purchased them. I certainly would not pay money to try and get them as it sounds very risky to me getting into your account.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 01:17:32 AM »
I and a fellow friend owned an account to buy packages from yamaha since we used Tyros 5. And so far we have been using Genos,
(Yamaha itself confirmed that each account will be activated. up to 2 info of two Genos, any two Tyros 5)

We split the cost of buying packages, and share each other's login information with the commitment that no one will arbitrarily change the login password. Anyone can use that account to buy the package you like and if there is no cost-sharing agreement, anyone who buys will pay for it.
You just need to make an agreement with the previous owner of Genos about re-sharing the login account information so that you can download the packages and install them on that Genos (Or add another Genos).

Your case is the acquisition of Genos from a previous owner who has pre-installed packages purchased from Yamaha. This is actually just a deal with him about sharing login account information. And of course I think it is reasonable to split the cost. If he later bought a new Genos (Or Genos 2, Genos 3 ...) then he still fully used the purchased packages with that account. Unless Yamaha creates a new file format for the new Genos and the packages are not compatible with the new format.
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »
Hi Snicker,
  This is not at all the right thing to do or boast about. We know that if you buy two keyboards the same, using one for back up for your gigs then Yamaha will let you load the pack to both. Note it is only that person purchasing the pack. He is not sharing the cost with any one. What you are doing is not right and I would not think legal as these packs are copy write for a reason.