Author Topic: Genos - Power consumption?  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Yinon

Genos - Power consumption?
« on: May 15, 2019, 03:43:48 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how much Watt is Genos consuming?
I know it's a weird question but I'm trying to see if mobile power bank (large battery) will sustain it.

Thanks

Offline pjd

Re: Genos - Power consumption?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:51:06 PM »
According to the service manual, Genos incorporates a PA-300C adapter (internally) for power. The AC inlet connects to the PA-300C. The output of the PA-300C is sent to voltage regulator circuits where they are converted to 3.3VDC, 12VDC, and whatever else Genos needs.

The PA-300C output is rated at 16VDC, 2.4Amps. That's pretty hefty so the mobile battery pack had better be robust!

Hope this helps -- pj

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:16:20 PM »
PJD, the 2.4 amps is pretty hefty - I agree. However, is that draw only required by the internal power amplifier that drives the Genos speakers? If the output is routed to an external PA or bigger sound system, wouldn't the draw be minimal - unless that amplifier is on all the time?? Maybe I have this backward. The power for the external speakers comes from the external Genos sub, correct? So, my theory is right out the window :(.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:44:46 AM »
I just plugged my Genos into a Kill-a-Watt measuring device, put on a Style and played it at a moderate volume over headphones, so that the Genos was 'active'.  Showed 14 watts.  Very minimal!  Photo attached.

-Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

The following users thanked this post: pjd, Yinon

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 02:51:57 AM »
Jim, that's about 1.7 amps at 12 volts DC.

I assume the Genos converts 120 AC volts (220 volts AC in the U.K. and Europe) to 12 volts DC internally?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Yinon

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 06:30:46 AM »
Hi Jim,

Perfect!
Thanks for measuring it.

Here is the power bank I'm purchasing.
Per the spec it is supposed to provide 300W (600W at peak) with pure sinus AC.

It will be able to sustain 14W for couple of hours ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787SHJ21?pf_rd_p=019ad97c-f176-43be-96b9-991a6dc65763&pf_rd_r=FQF4GSXKMZKMFNPG7JS8

It may even support the active speaker ...

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 02:23:48 PM »
Jim, that's about 1.7 amps at 12 volts DC.

I assume the Genos converts 120 AC volts (220 volts AC in the U.K. and Europe) to 12 volts DC internally?

Hi Jim --

Thanks for measuring! We're are prep'ing the house for sale and I wasn't able to dig out the Kill-A-Watt.

Hi Lee --

About internal voltage conversion, it's always a little more complicated. The PA-300C puts out 16VDC. It is followed by other voltage regulators (i.e., converters) that produce the 3.3VDC and 5VDC needed by the digital electronics, and the 12V needed by the analog electronics.

Hi Yinon --

Nice power unit. Please let us know how it works out. There are times when I wouldn't mind running on battery power (e.g., outdoor church services.)

Thanks to all -- pj

P.S. My life and playing are seriously disrupted now and it will probably stay that way for months.  :'(