Author Topic: Differences between Genos and PSR975  (Read 5800 times)

Cheshire Chris

Differences between Genos and PSR975
« on: April 26, 2019, 07:54:33 AM »
Dear All,

I'm currently a pianist, but looking to buy myself an arranger workstation as a retirement gift to myself. I've been looking at both the PSR975 and the Genos. Both seem like excellent keyboards, but at my local music shop the Genos is almost 3x the price of the 975. I know the Genos has 76 keys rather than the 61 of the 975 and has better voice samples, but what else does it have which makes it worth the large additional cost?

Thanks,

Chris

Offline valimaties

Re: Differences between Genos and PSR975
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 08:13:13 AM »
Hi Chris.
There are a couple of things additionally on Genos, like touch screen, Right3, Expansion memory capacity, Playlist function (which is better than MF IMO), number of keys, which already you mention it, Live Controls and Sliders, and first of all - The Sound.
You said that you are a piano player, so, first of all, the keys number is better for you!

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Simone1972

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 08:20:33 AM »
Dear Chris,
if you are a piano player, I think you need a "piano like" keyboard bed:
From my perspective a PSR S975 + Digital Piano + double stand would fit all your requirements.

Consider that you could connect via MIDI the two keyboards and play the arranger with 88keys !!

Regards

Cheshire Chris

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 08:30:13 AM »
I should have said that I already have a digital piano, Simone; a Yamaha P-515, which I enjoy playing very much. The keyboard isn't particularly a concern - I've played both a 975 and a Genos at my local music shop and both keyboards seem reasonable to me (with the Genos being considerably better in feel).

Fortunately I have room in my spare room for both my P-515 and an arranger keyboard :D.

Best wishes,

Chris

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 12:59:04 AM »
Here’s my take.  Yes the Genos is more expensive but worth it.  If you are in the USA contact Frank Ventresca @ AudioWorksCt.com phone number 203-876-1133.  He’s got great prices and is very helpful/knowledgeable. 

With that said I have an s970 it’s a great keyboard but when I play the Genos it’s like being in another world.  It’s like cars a medium priced car will get you there and in comfort, but a luxury car makes a world of difference.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:00:10 AM by stephenm52 »
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 12:54:04 PM »
You will find the key bed on Genos so much better than on the S series I also have a 970 as well as my Genos which I use for small gigs and rehearsals but much prefer playing my Genos. I also like the fact that I can store everything I need on the very large user section which now takes the place of the hard drive. No need to have lots of USB sticks handy. Also 1.8Gb expansion memory which will allow the storage of lots of sample pack voices.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 02:33:26 PM »
And there is the ensemble function and the scat and choir voices on the Genos!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline panos

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »
In my opinion there is a thing  that makes the biggest difference between the two models.
And that is the after touch that tyros and Genos have and make  the sounds to smoothly fade away.
I just found out lately this difference in sound after the comparison on another post between a Genos and a per s770.
Maybe you could have an s975 from a dealer to test it and return it if you are not totally happy with it to get another model from him? (A tyros5 or a genos)

By the way,the price should be 2x plus without speakers and not 3x.that's too high (at least in europe)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 09:17:21 PM by panos »

Cheshire Chris

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 09:32:10 PM »
Hi Panos,

The prices at my local dealer are:

PSR975: £1292
Genos: £3189

So the Genos is 2.5x the price of the 975.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 09:59:02 PM »
Is it worth the double price? It depends on what kind of music you like to play. Only you know the answer. If you want a portable keyboard with built in speakers go for the PSR. If you play a lot of jazz or EDM, go for the Genos! It has assignable sliders, touch screen, ensemble function and scat voices!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline panos

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 10:19:55 PM »
Prices look OK and the s975  price looks great.
For Genos in UK you can check on google the differences in the price and what a store got to offer

Bachus

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 06:39:13 PM »
Is it worth the double price? It depends on what kind of music you like to play. Only you know the answer. If you want a portable keyboard with built in speakers go for the PSR. If you play a lot of jazz or EDM, go for the Genos! It has assignable sliders, touch screen, ensemble function and scat voices!

If you are a pianist...
Don’t go for a s975...
I can asure you, that you will dislike the keybed...
The Genos keybed is so much better..

If money is an issue, you will be better of buying a used T5, then a s975..

Keep in mind, this is my opinion..
But i come with a piano background too...

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 06:53:15 PM »
T5 has a 76 keys option, so that may be a good choice.
Toril S

and PSR-47.