Author Topic: AI Chord - F/G  (Read 4220 times)

andy600

AI Chord - F/G
« on: April 24, 2019, 07:29:41 AM »
Hi everyone, I just joined the Forum and this is my first post. Is anyone able to tell me how to play an F/G chord on a Genos using AI Fingered? G/F easy, but I can't work it out the other way round. Thanks
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:30:49 AM by andy600 »

Offline panos

Re: AI Chord - F/G
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 08:46:14 AM »
Hi Andy,

Just play the F chord (Fmajor F-A-C)

We don't need to play the bass notes in AI fingered mode except if we like whta we are hearing,no matter how the keyboard(or anyone else) like to call this compination of notes.

https://www.pianochord.org/f-alternative-bass.html
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=47340.0

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 09:43:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Andy.

F/G tells us to play a F major chord in "chord parts" (often this are RHY1, RHY2 and PAD parts), but to play a G in the bass part. While there are easy two note fingerings for some slash chords in AI Fingered, F/G is not among them. In that case it is always possible to "force" a bass note by octavating it. For F/G you may try:

G-A-C-F-G

As you see, A-C-F is a F major chord in 1st inversion, and a G as the lowest note together with an additional G one octave above will "force" the bass note to G. If you try that, you will find that the chord recognized will be displayed as Fadd9/G. This means that the chord parts won't play an F major but a Fadd9 instead.

Depending on the musical context you might be very happy with the Fadd9/G sound produced. After all there is nothing wrong with that, harmonically it is correct. On the other hand, those two chords sound distinctive and in some cases it is quite important IMHO. For example try 10cc's "I'm not in love" which starts with G/A - A. I think this progression just doesn't sound right when you play Gadd9/A - A, and the developer of AI Fingered was aware of that fact. So you may try the following "trick":

G-G#-A-C-F

As you can see and hear, this fingering produces a correct F/G chord. Of course, the G# note does not make any sense at all harmonically, so you could use this fingering only with the LEFT voice turned of.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:48:06 PM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 03:18:44 PM »
These kind of chords are no problem for ‘two handed’ players, who hit the G bass in their left often in octaves, and play F major in the rh, but difficult if not impossible for conventional arranger players using lh chords, rh melody. You may simply not be able to do it.
The added 9th harmony talked about here is never the same sound as the G bass with F major which produces a very similar sound to the hanging chord effect of a sus chord. On a piano play that double up G while you hit F chords octaving was up in the right and you will hear that amazing hanging effect which forces resolution to G major.
Mike

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 08:11:27 PM »
Yea, for playing the arranger with the Simple chord setup, you just ignore the first notation (F) and play the G chord.

That extra notation is just a bit of fluffy stuff and you can make up your own with your right hand.  ;)

Regards
Drake

andy600

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 08:10:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies - very helpful.

Offline andyg

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 08:52:31 AM »
F over G is easy in AI Fingered mode!

From left to right G A F. Technically, you're omitting the 5th from the main chord, so you can apply this rule to any such combination, like Eb/F or G/A.

The display will say F*/G and the sound isn't quite there but it's certainly more than close enough and way better than playing the wrong chord, like a simple G or F or anything that gives you an added 9th, as that's definitely not what F/G implies.

AI Fingered Mode can do more than anyone thinks! I don't think even Yamaha know everything. They didn't invent it, but bought it in from a third party developer (or maybe two?).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:59:10 AM by andyg »
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:51:22 AM »
F over G is easy in AI Fingered mode!

From left to right G A F. Technically, you're omitting the 5th from the main chord, so you can apply this rule to any such combination, like Eb/F or G/A.

The display will say F*/G and the sound isn't quite there but it's certainly more than close enough and way better than playing the wrong chord, like a simple G or F or anything that gives you an added 9th, as that's definitely not what F/G implies.

AI Fingered Mode can do more than anyone thinks! I don't think even Yamaha know everything. They didn't invent it, but bought it in from a third party developer (or maybe two?).

Off topic:
My first Yamaha pro keyboard was Tyros 2, after I sold my car ( :D ).
I was very proud of my choice, I had a Korg iS50B, before it, so a huge upgrade with Tyros 2. Till then I use AI Fingered, because it let me sing my bass channel independently of the rest of the channels, which is more near the truth, the feeling of a real live band. So when I see someone else is using AI Fingered mode of Yamaha (which is best than Expert Mode from Korg ;) ) my heart swells! :D

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »
I like Fingered On Bass mode. You'd play G-A-C-F and it will generate F/G.
Genos

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 04:52:30 PM »
So there are a few feasible solutions. And it does matter, very often extended chord like 9th, are only recognizing a melody note that really doesn't have to be included in the chord. But a bass is different, it alters the whole feel and flow of the music, so it's better if it can be done.
Mike