PSR Keyboards (11 Boards) > PSR-2000/1000 (SFF1)

New Floppy Emulator Does Not Seem To Work

(1/6) > >>

Skeezix:
I installed a floppy emulator (it says "GOTEK" on the front of it) and turned on my PSR 2000. A green LED comes on and the numbers are "000" and are shown in RED. I thought that they should show up in GREEN.

So on the computer I copy some styles to a USB stick, plug the stick into  the emulator, turn the PSR on, press "D", and then press the NEXT button until "FLOPPY" appears.

The PSR asks if I want to format the disk and if I select "YES" a LED on the stick flashes for 2 or 3 minutes and the PSR says "NOW FORMATTING". The LED on the stick stops flashing but nothing else happens.

When I press one of the emulators buttons, the stick flashes briefly and then the PSR reads "NO FLOPPY DISK".

I received absolutely no instructions with the emulator. What did I do wrong here?

Bruce Breen:
Hi,

I Googled "Gotek floppy emulator manual" and found their website.
Apparentally their SFR1M44-U100K unit is the one to use on Yamaha keyboards...(what is your model number?).
The PDF is attached in case you can use it...

And here is the link to their website.
http://www.gotekemulator.com/Product.asp?small=2
(this page will show their musical equipment emulators, and if you click on the word "downloads" at the top of the page it will take you to all the PDF's for their products. )

Good luck!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Skeezix:
I have a PSR 2000. I also found the same model emulator that I bought back in 2012 in a box in the garage. I put it there because I had problems getting the emulator to work.

I read tonight several statements on the internet that reversing the ribbon cable to the emulator so that the red stripe is at pin 32 instead of pin 1 makes the emulator work. Having been in the electronics industry since 1966 I'm a bit leary to try that. I suppose I could get out the earlier emulator and work with it a bit.

Hopefully somebody here can tell me exactly what they did to get the emulator to work on their PSR 2000.

Dick Rector:
The usb should be formatted with the sofware coming with the emulator and NOT as  normal formatting. It will never work without that special software. It formats your usb in 100 virtual floppies.
I have been using an Gotek emulator (bit older model) on a PSR2000 for 10 years now almost every day without a problem.

Skeezix:
I just checked the emulator that I bought in 2012 and the sticker on it reads "SFR1M44-U100". No"A" after the 100. I also had a look under the hood of the one I just bought. Nowhere is there any sticker or other marking stating the model number. I have a hunch that the "A" is a revision to the model #.

The two differ in many ways. The older one has more components on its PCBA, has a 2-digit display, has only one jumper on it (that is connected to only one pin), has a different green LED setup, has a red push-push button on it below the green LED, and came in a cream-colored case.

The newer one has fewer components on its PCBA, a PCBA that differs from the one in the older emulator, has a 3-digit display, has two jumpers on it (one across S1 and one across J5 and JA), has no red button on it, and it came in a black case.

It would be nice to know just where to put the jumpers on the new emulator.

No instructions and no software disk came with either emulator.

I looked on the internet but couldn't find any software that might be usable, and I don't recall anybody else on this forum stating he or she had to do anything with the emulator other than connect it and use it. From what I gather, you must format the USB stick on a PC and when you do you will then have either 100 (old one) or 1000 (new one) "FDs" on it. I formatted my stick to FAT32.

In any event, perhaps somebody else could chime in with a handy hint?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version