Author Topic: tyros/genos keyboard's pinout  (Read 4145 times)

pfeuh

tyros/genos keyboard's pinout
« on: April 16, 2019, 07:40:34 AM »
Hello,

I've bought a second hand genos' keyboard (only the keyboard) to build a good quality one for my analog synths. Infact it's a brand new one, the vendor is a shop which customize tyros/genos for accordions players changing keyboards to buttons ones.

I expected a matrix one, but it is not, due to the small number of pins. I suppose it' ready to play midi. Does anybody has a link or knows the pinout of this connector?

Regards,

Pfeuh
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:03:17 PM by pfeuh »

Offline pjd

Re: tyros/genos pinout
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 01:49:21 PM »
Hi pfeuh --

I wish there was an easy reply. However, we need to narrow things down a bit and get specific.

The black and white keys physically strike rubber contact strips which are mounted on printed circuit boards.  When you say "only the keyboard", does the keyboard include the printed circuit boards? The boards should be labelled MK76L, MKC and MKH.

Are there any other printed circuit boards attached? What are the labels on those boards? The Genos keyboard has aftertouch and these boards may be part of that interface.

Basically, I'm trying to narrow things down to the specific connector. Unfortunately, the keyboard assembly is not so simple! BTW, there may be label etched into the PCB next to the connector for which you need the pin-out.

Thanks -- pj

pfeuh

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 02:09:29 PM »
Hello,

As the shop guy says, he simply removes the genos keyboard and replaces it with a button accordeon one. I'm going to have à look at mine concerning pcb.

pfeuh

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 02:25:27 PM »
Hello,

I just had a look, there is a pcb inside. 7 wires on the connector, 1 red and 6 white

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:08:13 PM by pfeuh »

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 02:41:34 PM »
Hi Pfeuh,

I guess that the shop guy simply connected the button accordion keyboard via MIDI to the Genos, internally.

But the original Genos keyboard, to my knowledge, does not output a MIDI signal, unfortunately.

In addition to the circuit boards MK76L, MKC and MKH (= contacts & keyboard matrix) the signal goes through the EMKS circuit board (key scanner) and then, via a connector board named JTC, directly to the so called "EBUS" on DM (main  circuit) board.

You probably will need at least the Genos Service Manual to do further things with that FSX keyboard...

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:56:37 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

pfeuh

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 06:13:17 PM »
You probably will need at least the Genos Service Manual to do further things with that FSX keyboard...

Thanks a lot. Is there a way to get this manual?

Offline zionip

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 07:53:18 PM »
Thanks a lot. Is there a way to get this manual?

Hi Pfeuh,

Please use the following URL, pick "7" I need some advice regarding a spare part, then fill in the blanks, with Genos Service Manual for the "Subject", and fill in the Description that you want to buy the Genos Service Manual:
https://member.europe.yamaha.com/contact

I had to call Yamaha customer support in USA to request and purchase the Genos Service Manual.  After you pay for the CD, they will ship you the CD with the PDF file.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 08:48:48 PM »
Hi Pfeuh,

I have sent you a PM (Private Message) regarding this topic. :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:50:36 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
Hi Paul,

I tried the link you mentioned and asked for buying the service manual, but the answer was that the service manual is not available for normal users. Only for Service centers.

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 11:31:53 PM »
Hi Etienne,

I am sorry to hear that Yamaha Europe is so inflexible to customer's request for buying the Genos service manual.

My experience with the Yamaha U.S.A. was very pleasant.  They did not question whether I was a repair person or regular consumer.  They took my order and shipped me the CD.

Thanks,
Paul