Author Topic: Registrations  (Read 9588 times)

musikrx

Registrations
« on: April 12, 2019, 01:51:09 AM »
Hello from Melissa,
I've noticed that sometimes when I save a registration, it sometimes saves in the same spot across the other banks.  Fo r example, If I save a split for the song "Faith" in number 7 reg bank 1, I will see it again in the number 7 spot in reg bank 3, 4,5 etc...  Not sure why it's only happening to a few but it's deleting what was previously there.  Thank you for any help you can offer.

Offline murrayb

Re: Registrations
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 02:25:48 PM »
Melissa:

It is quite impossible to save a setting across multiple banks on the keyboard as they are separate files. 

This is a confusion I've often seen with registrations, if there is no setting saved in a bank or a button, the previous setting remains in effect.

The keyboard will not tell you the actual contents of the registration button, but you can use my program to see what's actually in your button 7 in each bank.

Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 03:02:34 PM »
Hello from Melissa,
I've noticed that sometimes when I save a registration, it sometimes saves in the same spot across the other banks.  Fo r example, If I save a split for the song "Faith" in number 7 reg bank 1, I will see it again in the number 7 spot in reg bank 3, 4,5 etc...  Not sure why it's only happening to a few but it's deleting what was previously there.  Thank you for any help you can offer.

Post your registration so we can take a look at it and help you out with it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:03:09 PM »
Save the registration to the usb and then insert the usb to the computer.
Almost all programs for keyboards work on the computer and dosn't need to connect the keyboard to the computer.
You can also upload the .reg file(your registration) here on a post so Fred can check it.

Other programs that we can use on our computer to check the styles,midi files etc:

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/software.htm#stun

edit:
I believe you must resave each bank with the split point checked ON for all banks of the registration to work correctly.
You probably saved some banks with the split point uncheced without including that way what they should do if they find a different split point(you had it unchecked when you saved those banks)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:11:35 PM by panos »

musikrx

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 07:25:01 PM »
Okay - yes - I figured out to use the USB in the computer:)  Okay - so here is printscreen of 2 banks.  YOu can see there are duplicates but I did not put them there.  They copied over when I was editing.  Not sure why.  I will look at the split check you mentioned.

[attachment deleted by admin]

musikrx

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 07:31:20 PM »
Here are the files.  I'm in a sequenced trio and a live band.  We do many of the same songs in the live band so I am using these registrations as splits for the live group for each song.  We are saving the midi tracks with the registrations to do the trio.  I was also wondering if we can somehow edit the registrations when necessary and have them automatically save with the midi track or do we need to keep doing that individually.

Thank you:)

Melissa

The following users thanked this post: Jacob, pethep

musikrx

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 07:35:57 PM »
Are you referring to the left part being on for the bank to save correctly?

Offline panos

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 09:07:12 PM »
Yes the style must be ON for the reg to save the split point.
Unless in Genos there is a split On-Off setting when you save the registration.

If yopu don't want a style to exist in that bank of the registatration make copy a copy of any style and after eveyrything works fine with the banks then just delete this copied style.
Banks still will be able to change the split point.
(Each bank will still have it's own split point)

You can "call" a midi truck also with a registration's bank if that is what you mean.
E.g. press Bank 1 and the midi "Downstairs" will be loaded automatically among with voices,split points etc.
Press bank no 2 and the midi "Upstairs" will be loaded etc

Remember not move the midis or the styles after you set the registrations so each registration whill know where they are to "call" them.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:12:31 PM by panos »

Offline panos

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 09:27:08 PM »
I just saw the pictures.
In the banks where is no style section the split point will remain at the point the previous bank left it.
Remember that only a new registration bank can change things to your keyboard that a previous registration bank have changed.
If the new reg bank doesn't have an "order" to change someting it will let it as it is.

By the way test this style if you want.
I made it for the "She Bop" song using the assembly function but haven't recorded yet the cover.
I left it aside for the time being. 

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:28:24 PM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: jes826, Jacob, pethep, wersianer

musikrx

Re: Registrations and OTS
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »
The She Bop style is really cool! 

So - I am adding styles even though I'm really not using a style with a midi track so that the regs save correctly.  For some songs I'm need more than an octave split and I've got 2 other sounds I'm using so I'm running out of keys.  Can I use the OTS settings (with my own voices saved) but NOT have the accompaniment come on?  I don't see how to do turn the accomp off.  I am saving one song per reg number then using mult-record to save the midi track as a "song" so that the tracks and the registrations are connected.  It seems like a lot of steps but this is what works so far.  Thoughts?

Melissa

Offline panos

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 08:11:07 PM »
I have just checked it on my psr.
Reg buttons can bring ACCMP on and off but they need to save a style with at least one reg button.

Press the reg1(e.g.) button to call the appropriate voices
Disable accomp (press accomp button to shut down)
Choose a style
Press memory button
Mark the style box
Save reg1 (e.g)

Try these things how it can be done with the Genos screen "butons" and if you can do what you want or not.
Other way is to have the split point in far left position and "loose" only one key.

Remember to save a test copy of the reg then "push" buttons on -off etc  to see if you(or anyone else) can archieve what you want to avoid the always boring manual reading.

Children don't learn their first knowledge by reading books, they just smash things down first ;D

Always a copy of a style,midi,reg etc and "smash" it to see how it works.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 10:34:29 PM »
Quoting musicrx
"For some songs I'm need more than an octave split and I've got 2 other sounds I'm using so I'm running out of keys."

That suggests that when you refer to splits you mean the R3 split point?? The position of that one is actually saved in registrations by ticking the voice category (as opposed to Style), so wherever you need a reg. to change it make sure voice has been ticked. Yes you can use OTS voices if you wish (bringing in  the style manually or via the registration then pushing the OTS button) . You can turn off the style if necessary by pushing the Start/stop button at the right of the row of style controls on the keyboard, or turn off the ACMP Button as you prefer, noting that doing the latter  can cause the RH voices to extend into the LH part of the keyboard depending on the on/off status of the Left voice.
Sometimes it needs experimentation and much poking about to find out what is actually going on and what can usefully be achieved ;).
John

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 07:51:33 AM by jwyvern »

musikrx

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 12:49:35 AM »
When I say "splits", I'm really talking about the keyboard as if it's a synth.  In "do ya think I'm sexy" for example, there's a phased electric piano which I can play with pretty much an octave an a half, a string riff which I can play with another octave or so, but then the sax solo really needs more keys than are left so I was hoping to use an OTS (if possible because I'm still learning this board) to give me a complete keyboard temporarily.  That way I can just split the keyboard in two and have plenty of keys for the string lines and the elect piano parts. 

Anyway- I will try the above steps and let you know:)

Melissa

musikrx

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 01:34:41 AM »
Okay - No.  TUrning the accomp off and checking style still did not allow me to use OTS without the accomp turning on.  Not sure what to do next.  Not finding this in the manual.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 04:38:00 AM »
Okay - No.  TUrning the accomp off and checking style still did not allow me to use OTS without the accomp turning on.  Not sure what to do next.  Not finding this in the manual.

Perhaps I missed something but I easily workaround the limited number of keyboard splits by using multiple registrations. Each can contain a different set of splits/ voices used in the same tune. You've got 10 handy.  Use them as needed!

musikrx

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 05:24:15 AM »
i'm so confused.  I'm trying to play the midi track and change registrations mid song to change voices.  Yes - I have saved my top 10 sounds to registrations and can easily move to them with the live band.  In that case, I'm using the keyboard as a workstation or synth. 

when I play sequenced and press start to play a midi track, we've attached the midi track to the registration that contains the splits I need (that arent' enough of a range in some cases) and i want to change sounds but it stops the track.  I'm trying to avoid bring a 2nd keyboard and having it handy for sax, organ, strings, etc... when I run out of keys. 

I guess I'm asking how to play a midi track and change registrrations at the same time?  I thought OTS might do this but it starts an accomp and I can't turn it off.  Thank you again for your knowledge:)

Melissa

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 08:18:42 AM »

I have tried on my Genos using a style and selecting and playing OTS with the main split points at different settings, fully left, fully right and somewhere in the middle (the usual). If I have Start/Stop off, the accomp does not start, so I'm sorry I can't reproduce (and acknowledge I cannot  understand ;)) what you are trying to do.
John

musikrx

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 11:11:24 AM »
I'm sorry for not being very clear.  Let me ask the question this way:

How do you play a midi track and switch between registrations without the song stopping? 

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »

How do you play a midi track and switch between registrations without the song stopping?

No problem here. I set a midi song going and pressed various reg buttons on a bank  I had loaded in the keyboard.
The song kept playing uninterrupted as the reg changed panel voices on the keyboard. Note the reg did not in this case contain any saved song data.
If I use a reg containing saved and different song data  the original song will switch to the new one when the button is pressed. If you don't want this change make sure the registration has not been memorised with a song saved to it, or put the freeze function onto song before pressing the reg button. To set that press Direct Access then the Freeze button to get to Freeze setup and put a tick in the Freeze Song box (only). Then turn Freeze on. With that setting any old song data that may have been saved to that registration will be unable to interrupt the current song.
If you have registrations with songs that you no longer require saved to them, you should be able to remove them by re-memorising and making sure the appropriate memory ticks are in all boxes except the Song box. Save the bank when done.

Bear in mind I am using Genos.

John
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:57:20 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 01:38:23 PM »

In the first registration, ensure that the Song group is checked when you nenorize the registration.

In all subsequent registrations, ensure the Song group is unchecked.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline panos

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 08:06:57 PM »
Okay - No.  Turning the accomp off and checking style still did not allow me to use OTS without the accomp turning on.  Not sure what to do next.  Not finding this in the manual.

hm....yes Melissa it doesn't work this way because you pressed the OTS button afterwards and not "sticked" to use voices only from the registration buttons.
Except if on Genos is differently and by pressing the OTS the accomp button remains in off position(John I think that is the problem Melissa is facing)

The OTS voices are part of the accompaniment (they are part of the style) on our keyboards.
So when you press the OTS you just tell your keyboard "hey dude, I want to play with a style now, ok?" so  it turns the Acmp button on.

So using OTS voices without the style is not a really good idea in your case.You 've got to press acmp off afterwards.

Try this thing:
Press direct button and then press accmp button and see the options you have got for the accomp settings behaviour.
You can use the direct access button this way for a lot(not all of course) functions to see the "settings" for these functions and how you want them to behave.

musikrx

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 12:06:01 AM »
I am so absolutely thrilled right now!!!! Yay - it worked.  I don't really get why it was suggested to me (by keyboard america) to save things as an audio-file in the first place.  It's most likely because my way of asking is not clear.  The beginning issue was that my midi track guy won't let me have the tracks saved on the keyboard because he doesn't want anyone else to own them so I was told to save as a song file then to usb.

And then the split range issue which is now so wonderful to have the knowledge of that checked or unchecked "song" box in reg memory.  It makes such a difference!  So yes - quiet the learning process and I'am so grateful:)

So now I've been able to experiment and save registrations with midi tracks saved on the keyboard and on the usb and see how they work.  I've saved in a reg bank for example: Reg 1 with song checked and mid track.  Reg 2 with organ and  no song box checked.  Reg 3 with sax and no song box checked.  Reg 4 with new midi track and song box checked.  Reg 5 with strings and no song box checked.  Reg 6 with USB midi track and song box checked. Reg 7 with piano and no song box checked.  I've seen how these are used and I can move around them easily to change instruments when necessary.  I have also seen how the registration stays the same but doesn't play a midi track if no usb is in and the track was saved as usb.

I am so happy right now!  Many thanks to all of you who contributed to my very confusing issue.

Melissa

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 08:02:21 AM »
A big turnaround Melissa, Congratulations ;)

john