Author Topic: Multipad tempo or relative speed?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline jimlaing

Multipad tempo or relative speed?
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:56:53 PM »
Hi - is there a way to change the playback tempo of a Multipad, such as specifying "Play it at ½ of the programmed speed"?  There are times when I want a certain multipad but for the 'feel' of the style I'm using, the pad's output is "twice as fast as I want".

I know that the overall speed is dependent on the tempo setting of style playback.  I'm more thinking of a "relative" change, i.e. "play it ½ as fast as default" in my example.

Example: Tambourines and shakers.  Sometimes the speed of the pad is OK.  Sometimes it's tempo/speed twice as fast as I'd like, to go with a specific style or song.

Thanks!
Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Online RONBO

Re: Multipad tempo or relative speed?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 10:56:20 PM »
Jim, great question.

I've encountered that very same scenario before too.

I think (Don't know for sure) that you would have to create your own multi-pad by going to the Multi-Pad Creator on your keyboard.

I just tried it but ,alas, I have not the expertise to create one.

There must be a way and I'm sure someone on this great forum will have a viable suggestion for you.

I also want to know and am excited to hear the answer.

Regards  Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 01:05:36 PM »
The Tempo of the pad is linked to the style you use. As has been mentioned your best bet is to create your own. Select the style you want to use as this will play when you start to record in Multi Pad record and you can record at the speed you want that matches the style playing.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 03:49:57 PM »
Jim,

There used to be some sequencers that would change the Gate Time to half or double the original. In effect it changed the tempo.  One sequencer that comes to mind is Edit Track for the Atari platform.  In Edit Track this is called Durate Notes. Modern sequencers may offer the same feature, but may be called by any numbers of names.

The function is in effect the same as Arp Unit Multiply on the Genos Live Control. (Note Gate Time)

Correction: Arp Unit Multiply is NOT altering the note length, it is changing the note positions in effect altering the tempo of the arpeggio.

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 06:39:21 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 04:10:51 PM »
Hi - thanks - that is interesting about note gate time.  Not sure if there is a way to have this affect playback of a pattern from a MultiPad ... but from the notes here, sounds like there is no "play multipage at 50% speed" or "1/2 speed" ... so I'll have to make my own MP for what I want ... which I'll try sometime ...

Thanks for the info/responses!
Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »
Jim,

I went back and looked in the Edit Track Manual and the feature is actually call Alter Time Span. It's not altering Note Gate Time it changes the position of the notes in time. It in effect changes the Tempo of a track.

I have a software emulator for the Atari computer that runs on my Win7 PC. I sometimes use the unique MIDI programs that were written for the Atari computer a very long time ago.

PadMaker-Midi will allow us to change the Gate Time of a Multi Pad. But you must have a PC to run PM-M

Sorry for the confusion. Your question/request is unusual.

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 06:41:06 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html