Author Topic: Style changes instrument by itself - why ?  (Read 5807 times)

Offline Al Ram

Style changes instrument by itself - why ?
« on: April 13, 2019, 04:53:16 PM »
Hello Friends

I am using the attached style within the attached registration.   I am performing and singing the Spanish version of Achy Breaky Heart . . . . everything works great for me . . . except the following problem i am encountering

The registration has 7 buttons from R1 to R7.  Each button is basically the same, just slightly changing some parameters such as Variation, tempo, etc.   but basically the same.

When playing R1 to R3 no problem, but when i play R4 and R5 that call up intro III and change variation to D . . .   i encounter the following problem . . .

after finishing the intro, the Phrase 1 instrument changes by itself from distortion guitar to strings . . . . so basically, when playing variation D of the style is when this happens.  Instrument changes by itself after finishing playing the intro III

I do not know why or how to avoid that.  I do not want the style to change instrument by itself . . . 

Anyone know why ? or how to avoid it ?

I already have a workaround but still intrigued by this change and would like to learn how to fix.

It is really appreciated.   Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

The following users thanked this post: balcino

Offline Wim NL

Re: Style changes instrument by itself - why ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 05:48:14 PM »
Do you play with a midi file song I:/PDF_MIDIS/Always on my mind.mid

May be there are some sys/ex that changes the style.
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 06:19:50 PM »
Wim
thanks a lot for your response.,

I do not play midis at all . .. . .  so not sure to understand.

thanks a lot and have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 06:53:38 PM »
The Registration contains Instrument Change.

You'll need to change it.

To do so.
Click on Registration 4
Make the Changes on Instrument with the correct Voice,
Repeat the same for Registration 5 if needed.

Save the whole Registration Bank ( Rename it)
This should solve your problem.
Regards Norman!

Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 06:57:38 PM »
song I:/PDF_MIDIS/Always on my mind.mid was in your registration.

I have remove the song I:/PDF_MIDIS/Always on my mind.mid

Try the new registration see attachment

Best Regards,
Wim

The following users thanked this post: balcino

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 07:11:15 PM »
song I:/PDF_MIDIS/Always on my mind.mid was in your registration.

I have remove the song I:/PDF_MIDIS/Always on my mind.mid

My friend,
Styles Voices don't get affected by Songs,
Specially Registration. Changes.

The only possible way it could be done.
Via DAW. Sending SysEx

Please correct me if I'm incorrect.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 07:24:41 PM »
Open a midi song in mixmaster.
You will find the style sysex @ MBT 001:2:0000

Best Regards,
Wim

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 07:42:33 PM »
Open a midi song in mixmaster.
You will find the style sysex @ MBT 001:2:0000
My friend,
Every midi will have SysEx.

My Friend Al
Has a Style problem. Which ends up being a registration problem.
Norman.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 07:50:30 PM »
A Midi song does have a style sysex.
You can change the style by select another midi song without using registrtation.
When you have midi songs in your registration the styles will be select by the midi song.
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 08:25:40 PM »
The style is using a string sound in phrase 1 in main D so the reg is just playing the style as it is.
You need to use style creator to change the voice of the phrase 1 of Main D to something else you like.(If someone with a Genos can help Al and resave the style?)

From what I have learned is that Registrations always show a midi file that is at use at the moment the reg is saved but it cannot effect anything in the reg as long as the midi box of the reg was unmarked.

The "Always on my mind" midi is probably the preset midi of the model.
That is why it is shown on the reg.(Just the name may exist but nothing more)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:26:58 PM by panos »

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 09:01:17 PM »
As Panos has pointed out, your 'problem' is with the style!

The MAIN D variation starts at measure 45.  There is a program change at the beginning of the bar which sets the Phr1 voice to the XG-Distortion Guitar, but then this event is immediately followed by another program change which selects the XG-StringEnsemble for the Phr1 part!   This voice is then used for that variation.

You can simply edit the style to remove the second program change using MixMaster, or add yet another program change to select the guitar again using the Style Creator in conjunction with the Mixing Console, but even if you do this, the note pattern for Phr1 in Main D is just a three note chord sustained for 8 beats (which is the length of the Main D section), and this is much more typical of a part for stings than a guitar!

So you would probably need to use a different note pattern for the Phr1 part if you change the voice back to a guitar!

The style that you posted has the volume level for the strings quite low (32) but your registration increases it to 100 which makes the string sound much more noticeable!  You might find that you can live with the style as it is, using the string voice, if you reduce the part level in the registration memory that selects Main D but that would also reduce the Phr1 level in the Intro!

If you want different part levels for the Intro and Main D, you would need to use two registrations. If you only want to use one reg. then you would need to modify the strings level in the style variation, either by reducing the note velocities or adding an expression event.  You will need to do in MixMaster or some DAW since the keyboard's Style Creator (or whatever on Genos) will not allow you to access the style's Phr1 part unless you delete it and record your own!

Regards

Ian

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 09:02:26 PM »
Al, there are different voices between Intro III and Variation D

See Attachment

Best Regards,
Wim

Offline Al Ram

Re: Style changes instrument by itself - why ? solved
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 09:22:27 PM »
All
Thank you so much for your help.

This is what i did . . . 

First, i want to explain that I do not play midis. However, a long time ago I was considering and experimenting with midis. My brief experience lead me to discard midis when playing. Cause I could not find a good use of midis when playing live.    So, i just dropped the midi project.   The one midi song 'You were always on my mind' was probably one midi i was experiencing with and it just happened to be selected when the registration was created.  In fact it is probably saved in many other regs.     However, it does not affect my playing.

OK. I read all your notes very carefully and Thanks  to your notes and playing around with the style I confirm that the change in Phrase 1 instrument for Var D must be in the programming of the style itself.

So, after playing with it and trying different things I came up with this . . . . I just resaved R4 and R5 . . . but before selecting the intro, i selected the desired guitar for R4 and R5, with no intro and saved it,  and then selected the intro and re-saved it.     

It is now playing the way i want it without changing instrument.

My planned work around was to not play Var D, in essence resave R4 and R5 with var C.

thanks to all, it is really appreciated. 
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Murat

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 12:05:56 PM »
Hi,
I also have a very similar issue with my Genos. I have never loaded any MIDI files and don't even use regisytrations. please see below thread - there has been no resolution to this as yet:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,48976.msg383720.html#msg383720
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 12:08:14 PM by Murat »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
Murat, you never replied to my post explaining how the Brasil drums can legitimately remain in Rh1 of the following style, after which the whole thread went pear shaped.........  ::)

John
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 01:11:38 PM by jwyvern »