Author Topic: Syle and Voice Selection  (Read 2875 times)

joetownbob

Syle and Voice Selection
« on: November 03, 2022, 07:02:45 PM »
I have a CVP 509PE.  I've been playing about 10 years and mastered the use of almost all the features, but I still struggle with selecting style and voice(s) for a song.  Most of what I play are American Jazz Standards.  I use nearly all the voice categories except organ.  If you are willing, please share the process you go through selecting style and voices.

What voice combinations sound best together?
Do you use a left hand voice or leave it turned off?
What about voice changes during a performance?

Where do music arrangers learn the craft?  Is it all instinctive or are there rules?

Once I've decided on a song, I usually listen to several renditions on YouTube, both vocals and instrumentals.  I try to recreate the style and voices, but often times the background style is arranged specific to the song.

Strings, for me, are always a challenge.  I can't seem to make them sound realistic.

I envy those who play Tyros or Genos.  I think you have a far wider selection of styles and voice than I have on my CVP.  I've downloaded 100s of styles, voices, and registrations, but there always seem to be ones I want but are not available for CVP.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated,

Offline pjd

Re: Syle and Voice Selection
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 06:16:07 PM »
Hi --

Welcome to the forum!

I can't call myself a jazzer, but play soul, funk, pop. I have a regular church gig that runs the gamut from traditional to contemporary hymns.

I don't have formal training, but have listened to a lot of music and read many article about orchestration. That has given me starting points for voice choice and combination. Listening to real players (woodwind, string, brass) helped me to learn about the most common articulations. Then, it's practice, practice, practice.

The most important tool is my ears. What sounds appropriate, tasteful, musical? I probably go through 10 or more clunkers for every voice combination that works. I keep everything and delete clunkers when I think I have moved past them (i.e., not a valid starting point any longer). Overall, a critical ear is important.

As to left hand, I turn down the volume on my left hand. There seems to be enough musical "activity" in a typical style without the left hand making things muddy. Some pro players suggest turning off style parts -- maybe strip everything down to drum and bass!

Hope these thoughts are helpful -- pj

joetownbob

Re: Syle and Voice Selection
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 09:10:29 PM »
Thanks for your reply PJ.  I think you're right about toning down the LH voice.  Some of the styles have a lot going on, no need adding to them.