Author Topic: Genos v1.4 speculation thread  (Read 30256 times)

Offline pjd

Genos v1.4 speculation thread
« on: April 06, 2019, 06:43:24 PM »
Attached is a snap from the Genos v1.40 pre-release announcement.

Please discuss.  :)

-- pj

P.S. This snap is copied from the Yamaha video announcement.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 06:47:07 PM by pjd »

Offline pjd

Re: Genos v1.4 speculation thread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 06:46:26 PM »
Looks like Yamaha is finally using the narrow space at the top of the main screen. Is that a bar and beat indicator in the upper left corner?

-- pj

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »
Right => transposition
Middle => 4 main pages perhaps (the bar with 4 parts )

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 07:03:10 PM »
Right => transposition
Middle => 4 main pages perhaps (the bar with 4 parts )

I think the middle is a beat indicator as PJ indicated...

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 07:14:22 PM »
Left= Tempo (duplicating existing in the style box).
Next = Bar and Beat counter (duplicate).
Middle = Beat display
Next= Keyboard Transpose
Next= Master or Song Transpose. (the icon is more like the Master)
Rightmost = Time as existing

John
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:26:38 PM by jwyvern »

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 07:29:38 PM »
I wonder what they mean exactly by EXTERNAL DISPLAY SUPPORT

Right now, using a USB video card, I was able to use an external monitor, which was just the same display on the Genos display, but it was slower to refresh... would that mean they have changed/updated the driver, so to say?

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Offline ckobu

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 07:40:45 PM »
I think @jwyvern hit everything except Keyboard Transpose. I think it's split keyboards.
EXTERNAL DISPLAY SUPPORT = external display with a touch screen

But what about the measure of SkyPop style? The picture shows 1/8 while we now have 4/4. News in Style Editor?

Watch my video channel

Bachus

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 07:42:12 PM »
I wonder what they mean exactly by EXTERNAL DISPLAY SUPPORT

Right now, using a USB video card, I was able to use an external monitor, which was just the same display on the Genos display, but it was slower to refresh... would that mean they have changed/updated the driver, so to say?

Jose

Would be nice to use an ipad as external screen...

Offline Bill

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 07:44:22 PM »
Not to sure about the 2 right most Icons

Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Bachus

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 07:46:02 PM »
I think @jwyvern hit everything except Keyboard Transpose. I think it's split keyboards.
EXTERNAL DISPLAY SUPPORT = external display with a touch screen

But what about the measure of SkyPop style? The picture shows 1/8 while we now have 4/4. News in Style Editor?

The 4/4 is still there, i think its another way of showing its currently in measure 1 of 8 in that variation..

Bachus

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 07:48:27 PM »

Bill
The left one is + or - a full octave
The right one could me a simple transpose..

Offline maartenb

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 08:00:18 PM »

As others have also said:
  • Transpose (in semitone steps)
  • Transpose mode: Master, Keyboard or Song

It's the same as for the shortcut buttons at the bottom of the screen. I removed the Demo shortcut and placed the transpose shortcut there, exactly for the reason of being able to see the transpose. With 1.4 it is shown at the top. Nice!

And, probably a red bouncing ball on the external display with 1.4!

I hope they add a Chord Sequencer, too...

Maarten
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:43:35 AM by maartenb »

Offline ckobu

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 08:03:41 PM »
Bachus, I think you're right.
For now we have this situation.

Offline panos

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 09:01:01 PM »
I think also that 1/8 is the pattern length of the style part.
In the Skypop style main A,intro 3 & ending 3 they have 8 measures.
The picture from above is probably from main A.
May I ask something to Genos users?
Is it important and convinient for the voices icons to be that big?
Do they help you in live playing or something?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:05:19 PM by panos »

Bachus

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 09:39:21 PM »

Transpose (in semitone steps)

Might also be in octaves, the symbol represents a full octave

The following users thanked this post: a048352

Bachus

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2019, 09:43:32 PM »
May I ask something to Genos users?
Do they help you in live playing or something?

Its a “touch” screen, and big icons are easy to touch..
For me personally its very convenient
Espescially when compared to the much smaller icons on the pa4x i used to own.

Offline rbackes

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 10:46:08 PM »
Its a “touch” screen, and big icons are easy to touch..
For me personally its very convenient
Espescially when compared to the much smaller icons on the pa4x i used to own.

yes, but I think those pictures are mostly 'eye-candy' and do not provide so much additional information compared to the size.
For me they could be shrunk to half of their height, leaving enough area even for really big fingers. The screen space won could be used e.g. for another row of menu-buttons at the bottom.

Rainer

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 12:15:24 AM »

..... May I ask something to Genos users?

THANKS Panos for bringing that up.  My answer is of course NO.  I have been asking myself what kind of people love all these  "wonderful pixel and design work and space wasting super large  but unclear icons. " The most extreme examples of good for nothing pop up when you go to demos.
Must be that YAMAHA vendors love them like some people seem to like "de - clarifying"  PC and phone desktops with good for nothing background photos of their dogs, wifes, granchildren and or cars. These icons servo no purpose just like we had flying papers when copying something in XP. 

What would serve a porpose was listing with what styles and settings you can duplicate the demos, but admittedly they are so complicated  and non- style based that that would not help but clarify:  "please undertand these demos are not what you will be able to do."   

Icon-related things seem to be difficult for the present developers.  I miss a lot of the Tyros Icons that we had earlier. Strangely if you had an icon transferred with a style or whatever   Genos reproduces them, but I can find them nowhere when programming somthing on Genos.  Please any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Stijn

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 08:52:44 AM »

Icon-related things seem to be difficult for the present developers.  I miss a lot of the Tyros Icons that we had earlier. Strangely if you had an icon transferred with a style or whatever   Genos reproduces them, but I can find them nowhere when programming somthing on Genos.  Please any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Hello Kaarlo,
Tyros 3 had lots of icons to choose from, Tyros 4 and 5 had less icons. There are over 400 icons to choose from but Genos only shows 160 of them.
The thing is that you cannot select the other icons on the Genos or Tyros while saving Styles, Registrations and so on.

You need a PC to replace the reference at  the end of a file name. For instance the file name Johnny Guitar.S085.RGT; the S085 stands for a Guitar and if you want to change it to an icon showing 'Keys' you would change the reference to S792.

See the attached list.

Stijn

I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: loendersloot, Jacob, EB5AGV

Bachus

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 10:55:50 AM »
yes, but I think those pictures are mostly 'eye-candy' and do not provide so much additional information compared to the size.
For me they could be shrunk to half of their height, leaving enough area even for really big fingers. The screen space won could be used e.g. for another row of menu-buttons at the bottom.

Rainer

I own both a modx and a Genos
modx has no icons
I can asure you these icons are more then just eye candy
To me they make things easy recognisable
Where on the modx i allways need to read small print

I think other modx owners now exactly where i cone from

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 11:02:21 AM »
In an ideal world they would be configurable in size and even display distribution... I find them a bit on the too large size, but for me it is not a big problem. If you use a larger external display, then, yes, they are huge  ;)

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Offline panos

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 12:09:16 PM »
The icons and the colours are nice I just wondered if by having a smaller size it could make space to enlarge the letters for all the other displayed informations you need when you look at the screen.
If a keyboardist having a problem to hit the right spot with his finger and needs such big icons,
I wonder how he deals with the style,reg,pad,OTS buttons.
Also for people that have visibility problems could be any useful? Or at least to some of them maybe?
I remember a lady having trouble to navigate to the menou with the voice help.
I wish they improve also this function or have an application or something to help these people to play music with keyboards.

Offline Kokoriz

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 02:50:35 PM »
I hope they add DAW remote control like on the MOXF for Cubase.

Bachus

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2019, 06:05:15 PM »
I hope they add DAW remote control like on the MOXF for Cubase.

Would be nice, but i don’t think we will see this...

Personally i would love an option to load user created arps...
And an option to save them to a usb stick, the same way you save styles, songs, multipads etc...

But what really needs attention is the dsp interface and the way you can save all 28 edited dsp and their routing to a performance..

Other things like being able to edit and create sounds on board.. or have a piano roll for midi edditing, is something i don’t expect...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:11:58 PM by Bachus »

Offline StuartR

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2019, 06:29:09 PM »
Would be nice, but i don’t think we will see this...

Personally i would love an option to load user created arps...
And an option to save them to a usb stick, the same way you save styles, songs, multipads etc...

But what really needs attention is the dsp interface and the way you can save all 28 edited dsp and their routing to a performance..

Other things like being able to edit and create sounds on board.. or have a piano roll for midi edditing, is something i don’t expect...

I'd be happy to have the sliders not immediately jump to their current position if they get accidentally bumped. I think there's a software remediation possible there. Also the keyboard capitalization should return from upper to lower case after the first capital letter (as most other software keyboards do).

Bachus

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2019, 07:37:32 PM »
I'd be happy to have the sliders not immediately jump to their current position if they get accidentally bumped. I think there's a software remediation possible there.

Most keyboards, including my modx, allow you to choose from several different behaviors..
This is definately one of these updates i do expect

The following users thanked this post: AlBags

Wil5560

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 10:51:00 AM »
Truly hope that the bouncing ball with external monitor problem is solved with the new upcoming V1.4. Currently the bouncing ball when watching and wanting to play with the score is always behind and delayed which is extremely annoying. Previous Tyros 5 never showed this problem.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 01:51:49 PM »
Hi
Get rid of that bouncy ball  and have have a proper music score screen with chords showng.
That could be sent to monitor screen.
A slow scroll down ongoing so that you always stay in the middle of the music.
That is my take on it
Intelligent score reading would be great that  follows you  :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline StuartR

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 04:28:05 PM »
Most keyboards, including my modx, allow you to choose from several different behaviors..
This is definately one of these updates i do expect

Ah- good news that the new MODX has that.

Offline AlBags

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 05:19:16 PM »

Quite WHY they had to nick the music from The Crystal Maze ... is anyones guess!

I'm sure there will be MANY updates in 1.4, not just the screen display.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »
Well we shall soon know.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »
This is interesting.  Yamaha is using the same marketing tactic with this new OS update as they did with the release of the Genos in the first place. IE; leak some info and get people to speculate about what's coming.  This must be a new generation marketing approach... and it's working!

:)   ;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline chony

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 11:03:43 PM »
I'm not sure why everyone thinks this going to be a great upgrade. In the programming world, when there's a major step up, new features, or anything beyond basic changes, the version number jumps. If Yamaha was releasing something special, it would go from 1.3 to 2.0. This is 1.3 to 1.4, so expect an upgrade along the lines of what we got from 1.0 to 1.1: Basically, bug fixes, OS improvements, ease of use improvements, GUI improvements, basic feature improvements.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 05:41:50 AM »
I'm not sure why everyone thinks this going to be a great upgrade. In the programming world, when there's a major step up, new features, or anything beyond basic changes, the version number jumps. If Yamaha was releasing something special, it would go from 1.3 to 2.0. This is 1.3 to 1.4, so expect an upgrade along the lines of what we got from 1.0 to 1.1: Basically, bug fixes, OS improvements, ease of use improvements, GUI improvements, basic feature improvements.

I'm not sure we ever said it would  be a "great" update. Yamaha has stated that it would be an "extensive update". Quibbling over their choice of version number increments is, IMHO, just that.

To quote from their announcement:  "This extensive update brings new performance possibilities for Live Controls, new assignable options, enhancements of the user interface and the ability to connect an external screen."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:00:57 AM by StuartR »

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2019, 08:49:42 AM »
Well, whether "great" or "extensive", at the end of the day it's all subjective. Yamaha may call it "extensive", but the exact list of improvements remains to be seen. My experience of life is, that you should be sceptical towards announcements from marketing departments.

Again, when it comes to valueing the forthcomping update, it's all subjective. Of course we have to wait 'til June (at least) to have the facts straight. But, what is already known today is completely useless FOR ME. Of course, even at this stage your mileage may vary. This doesn't mean I do complain, after all the update will be free. Being a loyal Yamaha customer for 20 years I'd be very surprised if the June update will contain a (IMHO, subjective!) substantial improvement. E.g. let's say creating your own user arpeggios.

Bottom line, I don't expect anything from the update, so I won't be disappointed.
Regards, Michael

Offline pjd

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »
Bottom line, I don't expect anything from the update, so I won't be disappointed.

Thanks, Michael. What I need is an update to my playing skills and Yamaha isn't selling that!  :)

All the best -- pj

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2019, 03:06:23 PM »

Here’s my speculation:  we’ll see a post from you about how disappointed you were with the update.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2019, 03:24:56 PM »
What I need is an update to my playing skills and Yamaha isn't selling that!  :)

There's some advice from Don Airey, and it's free: "Practice, practice, practice!"  ;D

And another one from Malcom Gladwell: “Hard work is only a prison sentence when you lack motivation.”

HTH  ;)
Regards, Michael

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2019, 03:27:07 PM »
INFINITY!!! 8)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 05:51:59 PM »
..... My experience of life is, that you should be sceptical towards announcements from marketing departments.

THANKS DROMEUS.  I renounced my well paid board membership in a rather successful advertising agency some years ago for exactly the reason you state.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Bachus

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2019, 07:10:38 PM »
This is interesting.  Yamaha is using the same marketing tactic with this new OS update as they did with the release of the Genos in the first place. IE; leak some info and get people to speculate about what's coming.  This must be a new generation marketing approach... and it's working!

:)   ;)

Joe H
With everyone being dissapointed when the speculations are far from the truth?

Offline mikf

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2019, 08:26:23 PM »
There's some advice from Don Airey, and it's free: "Practice, practice, practice!"  ;D

And another one from Malcom Gladwell: “Hard work is only a prison sentence when you lack motivation.”

HTH  ;)
Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. This is why I no longer practice golf - I would only be perfecting my faults ;D

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2019, 01:19:50 AM »
Don Airy is definitely 100% right 8)
In my view there is not much wrong with the Genos. Always a workaround.
I find practicing a lot gets you nowhere if you keep battling  constantly.
Walk away for a day and you will be surprised what sinks in when you come back.
For my experience there is a little gremlin that drip feeds me a little every week and only time gets me further along the road.
That gemlin will not let you run .You have to do a lots of walking!! 8) :P ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:28:41 AM by ugawoga »

Bachus

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2019, 10:20:23 AM »
Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. This is why I no longer practice golf - I would only be perfecting my faults ;D

Also smart practice gives faster results, then just replaying the same parts time after time..

There is quite some good youtube tutorials on the art of practicing piano..

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2019, 05:22:29 PM »
Hello Kaarlo,
....There are over 400 icons to choose from but Genos only shows 160 of them.
The thing is that you cannot select the other icons on the Genos or Tyros while saving Styles, Registrations and so on.

You need a PC to replace the reference at  the end of a file name. For instance the file name Johnny Guitar.S085.RGT; the S085 stands for a Guitar and if you want to change it to an icon showing 'Keys' you would change the reference to S792.

See the attached list.

Stijn

Thanks for your help: Strange that indeed   ....."you cannot select the other icons on the Genos  ......while saving Styles, Registrations and so on"  ....   The problem is   I do have a desk top PC,   but it is in the office and that is  a short  walk over the court yard.  For most things like clarinets and saxes the provided icons are clear enough, but for instance for muted trumpet I have not found a trumpet icon which you immediately recognize and for registration banks I also miss what was earlier available like the colorful man with sombrero.

So  it is what has been said so often here, we kind of expect and take for granted that the new top model incorporates everything we got used to and liked,  PLUS  things  we had never even thought about. The number of downloads of your attachement shows people are interested in having catchy icons.

Cheers

Kaarlo

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2019, 10:59:34 AM »
Through Korg firmware updates, it has expanded Expansion Voices memory for Pa4x.
- First upgrade to 800MB (or 1.5Gb when compressed).
- And when upgrading to OS 3.0, it is 1.5Gb (or 3Gb when compressed).
Will Yamaha's 1.4 upgrade improve Expansion Voices memory for Genos?
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline andyg

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2019, 11:47:11 AM »

When I was involved with programming, things went like this:

New O/S or version of the programme - that got an integer, so 1.0 to 2.0
Updates to the O/S or programme - they got a decimal point increase, so 2.0 to 2.1
Minor amendments to updates etc - they got a 1/100th increase, so 2.1 to 2.1.1

I wasn't alone. Major software houses did, and still do the same. I'm working with Sibelius right now. That went from 7.0 to 7.1 and then bug fixes etc took it to 7.1.3.

So I think 1.4 is right for the next update! Look forward to seeing it, as it fixes many of the niggles we had and adds some more goodies. Alas, as always, there are going to be voices crying that 'this is vital, it should have been done' etc. But it's the same old development story. Manufacturers put on what the vast majority of users want and need, not what the minority of users (and even what some of the designers - me included at times!) want and need. You can never have everything. :(
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline soryt

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2019, 12:24:48 PM »

Don't expect too much, you can't be disappointed either  ;D

8)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline DerekA

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2019, 05:01:04 PM »
When I was involved with programming, things went like this:

New O/S or version of the programme - that got an integer, so 1.0 to 2.0
Updates to the O/S or programme - they got a decimal point increase, so 2.0 to 2.1
Minor amendments to updates etc - they got a 1/100th increase, so 2.1 to 2.1.1

I wasn't alone. Major software houses did, and still do the same. I'm working with Sibelius right now. That went from 7.0 to 7.1 and then bug fixes etc took it to 7.1.3.

This is known as semantic versioning : https://semver.org/
Genos

Bachus

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2019, 06:25:21 PM »
Through Korg firmware updates, it has expanded Expansion Voices memory for Pa4x.
- First upgrade to 800MB (or 1.5Gb when compressed).
- And when upgrading to OS 3.0, it is 1.5Gb (or 3Gb when compressed).
Will Yamaha's 1.4 upgrade improve Expansion Voices memory for Genos?

Not to be expected...

Korg could do this because they have a technollogy samplestreaming, from Kronos/Oasys..
So only the first part of a sample is in memmory, therest is loaded when needed from the hard disk.
The technollogy was allready in pa4x, but just for user samples.
What they did was add this technollogy to user sample memmory..

Yamaha does not have such a technollogy available (yet)
Altough its nothing special..
Many major pc samplers use this technollogy