Author Topic: USB Hub in front port  (Read 4098 times)

Henry Millbrook

USB Hub in front port
« on: April 06, 2019, 02:31:50 PM »
Is it OK to use a USB hub in any of the USB ports? I've put one in the front hub and the Genos doesn't seem worried. There is is the usual mixup with which memory stick is assigned which letter, but everything seems OK. Any views?

Offline zionip

Re: USB Hub in front port
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 11:04:29 AM »
I tested the use of USB hubs on Genos USB slots, but avoid using them due to drive assignment inconsistency.

The hub works, but Genos can interpret the same USB flash drives differently each time when Genos is rebooted.  A previous USB2 may become USB3 now, depending on how the Linux operating system recognize the USB flash drives upon each reboot.  To make the matter worse, a previous USB1 that holds the Yamaha playlist now becomes USB2, rendering the complete failure of the playlist due to wrong drive path of registrations.

Offline jwyvern

Re: USB Hub in front port
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 12:52:50 PM »
Genos can be quite smart at determining which USB (front or back) should be treated as USB 1 since one of the firmware updates.
I keep all my registrations and associated styles etc on USB1 which used to be at the front. When I decided  to squirrel it away at the back (conveniently on a micro stick, no protrusion) so I could regularly access a larger stick in the front for transfer to and from PC, Genos continues to select the correct drive as USB 1 so registrations and other files continue to be found.
If out of curiosity I swap them around either when powered off or in mid session USB 1 continues to be correctly assigned.
I don't know what happens with multisticks on hubs or if you are not a user of registrations, but having 2 sticks in place at startup for me is no longer an issue.
John
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 12:55:24 PM by jwyvern »