Author Topic: Οfficial Αnnouncement Yamaha Europe 1.4 Genos Update  (Read 19554 times)

Offline ckobu

Re: Οfficial Αnnouncement Yamaha Europe 1.4 Genos Update
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 10:20:36 AM »
And video announcements.

https://youtu.be/CEkJO1dq5xU
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: MINKYCATS

Genos FW 1.4 Update
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:21:34 AM »
What do people expect from this update?
I feel this is a big update, because yamaha never had a video trailer like that before.

I expect and hope that Yamaha Expansion will be upgraded with the ability to create Custom for REVO drum, and a more complete version of Yamaha Audio Phraser.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 10:26:05 AM by Snicker740 »
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Re: Genos FW 1.4 Update
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 10:39:11 AM »
What do people expect from this update?
I feel this is a big update, because yamaha never had a video trailer like that before.

I expect and hope that Yamaha Expansion will be upgraded with the ability to create Custom for REVO drum, and a more complete version of Yamaha Audio Phraser.
I agree... Very important for me is to fix the Audio Phraser to create correct own Audio Styles (User Audio Drums) without desynchronisation in tempo changes, and to play the Fill correct (on time)...
I hope and I wait more features with Audio Phraser, and more bug fix, new features etc.... 

Offline soryt

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 11:08:13 AM »
Yippie 🎹🎹🎹👍👍🎼🎼😊😊
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

beykock

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »
All Genos owners will be grateful and happy with their new 1.4 update ( June 2019 ).

Thank you Yamaha for all your efforts to make the Genos a real Digital Workstation !💐

I am almost convinced more Genos updates will follow in the near future.😁

Babette

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 12:25:59 PM »
In the web page announcement, it reads, "Genos: The Journey Continues." That title implies a lot more than simple bug fixes and minor add-ons. It sounds like they've added a lot more "stuff." No wonder it took so long. They can't just add a bunch of stuff and hope it works right. They have to test all the possible combinations of how the updates can affect the OS as a whole. Can't wait to see what they bring to the table. Well done, Yamaha!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Bachus

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 02:30:50 PM »
In the web page announcement, it reads, "Genos: The Journey Continues." That title implies a lot more than simple bug fixes and minor add-ons. It sounds like they've added a lot more "stuff." No wonder it took so long. They can't just add a bunch of stuff and hope it works right. They have to test all the possible combinations of how the updates can affect the OS as a whole. Can't wait to see what they bring to the table. Well done, Yamaha!

We will know in June

Online Joe H

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 02:36:08 PM »
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/news_events/2019/Genos-version-up.html

That's a very positive development.  I'm hopeful the newly added Live Control features will be included in the next PSR arranger as well.

:)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 02:43:25 PM »

+1

Having been there with software development and updates, it's a long slog for the developers and testers, too.

Yamaha's pre-release announcement is unusual, even WRT synth products. I suspect that the team missed their April Musikmesse deadline and committed to June. That's not all that unusual, especially for a team that puts quality above schedule. The old joke, "Cost, schedule, quality. Choose two."   ;D

Have fun playing in the meantime!

-- pj
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 02:46:29 PM by pjd »

Bachus

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 02:43:35 PM »

Thank you Yamaha for all your efforts to make the Genos a real Digital Workstation !💐

Somehow i can hear the sarcasm in your voice...
but don’t worry, us Genos owners don’t mind..
We can understand non Genos owners being a little jealous about this update..

I don’t think however thats where this update is about...
This is more about convenience updates and extra very welcome new options for allready excisting features..

Bachus

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 02:44:55 PM »
Guess this was supposed to be some major musikmesse news..
But there wasn’t any press covering the musikmesse..

Offline billtracy

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 02:47:15 PM »
Kudos to Yamaha for doing this and congrats to all the Genos users!
Current: Korg PA900/JBL 308P/Focusrite Clarett 2Pre/Band in a Box/Reaper/EZdrummer 3. Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740/Yamaha PSR-1100/Yamaha PSR-S750.

Offline Bob88

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 02:52:07 PM »
   Hallelujah !  Fred "the Prophet" Smith was correct.  Bob

Bachus

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 03:18:29 PM »
It represents Yamaha's commitment to not stand still as we continue to expand an already incredible musical instrument... and the journey is not over.

This says it all, we can expect pretty much the same treatment as they have been giving to Montage/Modx and the new CP88 series. 

Now only wondering what took them so long?
But then, the fun of new upcomming features makes that a worry of the past..

Another thing that comes to mind, is longlevity..
With this way of thinking, time between new models could be 5 years or longer..
Which is a good thing for everyone including Yamaha..

Online Joe H

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2019, 03:40:57 PM »
To Yamaha,

For the next PSR arranger...

1. Please include the Live Control options assignable to the foot pedal.

2. Include in the MIDI Data Formats; sysex for the Live Control parameters (especially the arpeggiator parameters like Arp Velocity, Unit Multiply and Arp Gate Time, and Arp Hold On/Off.

3. Increase the capacity of the on-board MIDI sequencer.  This is necessary due to the arpeggiator and the increase in continuous controller data that are use in contemporary dance styles and Multi Pads.

You have always included complete MIDI formats with your Pro XG sound modules and Pro synthesizers, why not include these with the arranger for the "power users"?

Thank you for your consideration of these ideas.

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 04:28:49 AM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Amxf5

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 03:57:33 PM »
The announcement doesn't mention the United States? Or is Europe the Guinea pig?

Offline terryB

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 04:09:11 PM »
I have often wondered why there are 2 empty spaces on page 1 of the main menu. I would have expected the empty slots in page 2.
Watch these spaces ??  ;)
Cheers
Terry

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 04:14:06 PM »
I agree... Very important for me is to fix the Audio Phraser to create correct own Audio Styles (User Audio Drums) without desynchronisation in tempo changes, and to play the Fill correct (on time)...
I hope and I wait more features with Audio Phraser, and more bug fix, new features etc....

I think you're likely to be disappointed.

Tempo changes in audio files always lead to some sort of degradation. If you want to control the tempo, stick to midi files.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 04:16:17 PM »
There are new icons at the top of the main page (tempo, transposition). And something that seems to indicate 4 main different pages

Soundphase

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2019, 04:48:13 PM »
I think you're likely to be disappointed.

Tempo changes in audio files always lead to some sort of degradation. If you want to control the tempo, stick to midi files.

Cheers,
Fred
Dear Fred Smith.
Since the preset audio styles work normally and follow the tempo changes exactly like the midi styles, I think it is problematic for it not to work in the user audio styles.
This is the purpose of the Audio Styles; to follow the midi tempo correctly with the time strech method...
As a professional producer of Ketron audio styles I know this procedure\method.  :)
I work 10 years with Ketron Audya only with Audio Styles without problem..
Here with Audio Phraser and Genos after few bars and when we change the Tempo (of an User Audio Style), the Audio and Midi get desynchronized... It's not Normal..
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 05:58:27 AM by Sokratis1974 »

beykock

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2019, 05:39:46 PM »
Hi Bachus :

No sarcasm at all.
I really mean what I said : I am very glad and happy Genos owners will receive what they deserve. 😁

Babette

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2019, 06:20:26 PM »
It would be great if Yamaha updated the music score section to display chords and better scoring ( get rid of bouncy red dots) as that is the only way i see that there would be a need for displaying the screen on to a monitor screen.
Otherwise i cannot see the point of putting the Genos screen on the tv screen.
Also an automatic stylemaker would be the order of the day!!! ;D ;D ;D  plus whisky replicator dispenser software and access to the Holo-deck. Maybe the flux capacitor is too costly.!! :-\
We all can then get free Tin Foil hats and a flying teapot  :)

Luvvly Jubbly 8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 06:33:16 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2019, 06:30:25 PM »
plus whisky replicator dispenser software
And this for your computer
https://www.nexylan.com/landing/beercooling

(sorry in French)

Bachus

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2019, 07:07:52 PM »

Hi Bachus :

No sarcasm at all.
I really mean what I said : I am very glad and happy Genos owners will receive what they deserve. 😁

Babette

Its not what Genos owners deserve..
Its something all Current model PSR players desere to

So why not adding what Joe asks below to the current psr-s series?

To Yamaha,

For the next PSR arranger...

1. Please include the Live Control options assignable to the foot pedal.

2. Include in the MIDI Data Formats; sysex for the Live Control parameters (especially the arpeggiator parameters like Arp Velocity, Unit Multiply and Arp Gate Time, and Arp Hold On/Off.

You have always included complete MIDI formats with your Pro XG sound modules and Pro synthesizers, why not include these with the arranger for the "power users"?

Thank you for your consideration of these ideas.

Joe H

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 07:34:31 PM »
For me the most exciting thing is this:

It represents Yamaha's commitment to not stand still as we continue to expand an already incredible musical instrument... and the journey is not over.

Specially the last sentence  ;D ;D ;D

It suits perfectly my predictions here:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,49253.0.html

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Offline StuartR

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 09:03:09 PM »

They are also calling it an "extensive update..."

Offline panos

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 09:37:17 PM »
That's good news at last.
I hope that companies will understand the power of pc's in playing, making music with a cheap midi keyboard and try to promote more their models that have something that pc's yet cannot reproduce and that is keyboards with styles like the Genos.

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2019, 04:23:08 AM »
I hope they also update Yem and allow us to create megavoices and S.art voices

The following users thanked this post: pjd, Snicker740

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2019, 04:40:23 AM »

Im too.... but this may be difficult to realize
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline soryt

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 11:16:40 PM »
Two weeks , than the summer begins 🎹😎🎶🤪
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Bachus

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 08:40:13 PM »

Thats one of the things i don’t see happening, Yamaha allwas had a strict pollicy on this, and probably for a good reason, because i don’t think it would be fair if normal users got thesame tools for sound development as the yamaha sound engineers...

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 12:18:38 AM »
Hopefully better Cubase integration 8)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 06:43:17 AM »
And to work the Sustain Message in the Cubase (or any DAW) and in the Style Creator which is absolutely unacceptable...
Up to now not working the Sustain nor with the Style Creator as well as not working with the Midi Sequence method (with DAW) as a Style....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:42:03 AM by Sokratis1974 »

Bachus

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 03:22:43 PM »
how would you like to see that?

This sounds so generic.
How should they handle better cubase integration?

Online Joe H

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 03:28:29 PM »

This sounds so generic.

How about being able to control Cubase from our keyboards like they did with the Motif.

How about not only a style template, but a CASM generator so we can export a style as fully functional .sty file.

How about support for Multi Pads... to create them, edit them and be able to export them as .pad files.

How about support for all the DSPs.

Joe H

Bachus

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2019, 03:58:52 PM »
How about being able to control Cubase from our keyboards like they did with the Motif.

How about not only a style template, but a CASM generator so we can export a style as fully functional .sty file.

How about support for Multi Pads... to create them, edit them and be able to export them as .pad files.

Joe H

Everything is possible, as long as it doesn’t take any changes on the Cubase side. Its highly unlogical that Steinberg makes changes to their professional daw in favor of an arranger keyboard.

So this means that we can only see changes that can be done trough midi..

Personally i think it is more in the line that we will see some ipad integration with a specific ipad app for edditing realtime edditing of sounds, styles, songs, pads.. as well as managing expansions. Yamaha/steinbase has enough ipad code (cubasis, other apps, music sequencer) to do this...  they even could integrate their ipad va and fm engines with this app...   (offcourse they could walk the same route for pc)

But we will not see any changes on the major version of cubase...
Another point not an advantage for the Genos is that the hardware according to pjd does not have the usb bridge The modx uses for audio USB and other advanced features..

But there are still quite a few cubase features that can be controlled trough midi...
But i dont think thats the kind of integration people are hoping for

Offline Oldden

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 11:06:46 AM »
If the new update includes an option to connect a display, perhaps they are thinking of using it as a music reader. Maybe selling the unit itself, software and music to suit it.
Oldden

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 08:13:13 PM »

This sounds so generic.

The Sys Ex is not quite  at the races

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2019, 08:37:44 PM »

Joe H

Hi Joe

Try Mike Bedeseems midi and style padmaker
You can take parts of a midi file and parts of a style file to make great pads.
I do agree with you Steinburg could make more of an effort with the Genos.

I have a question --When importing a song into Cubase and labelling all and putting in Genos workstation the sounds are all there on each track but it does not display that in the column even though i have the sound map installed. It is always the same default

Another question--- Does anyone note after editing in Cubase after a while the notes can move off the grid line and go slightly forward.

Is that anything to do with latency input.
I came accross this in a video on Dorico and if that happens it suggest under preferences latency input move to 50 milliseconds and see i that works .
I have a fast computer and still notice that some notes have moved slightly forward after quantizing them. I think you can do this in Cubase and will have a look at this.
I also noticed this anomaly in Cakewalks Daw. Now Bandlab.

All the Best
John

Offline reya

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2019, 09:09:24 AM »
Well ..... it's almost June, only a couple of days to go now  :)

Lets all hope Yamaha is targetting June 1st rather than june 30th   ;)

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline EileenL

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2019, 11:57:44 AM »
Now that is the question and again we must wait patiently to hear when it is released.

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2019, 01:38:48 PM »
Lets all hope Yamaha is targetting June 1st rather than june 30th   ;)

Hopefully not on june 31th  ;D
Regards, Michael

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »
Hi Eileen
Hope you are feeling top of the morning.
I do hope that Yamaha resolve Cubase issues as there are quite a few .
For the price we pay for Cubase it should be 100% compliant software with the Genos
I'm back on making a few songs now and have completed two in the last two weeks.
I play the full song into the sequencer and tidy up any bloopers in Cubase.
For instance I put a backing choir on channel 16 after i made my recording to fatten things out.
When playing back on the Genos everything is ok.
Put back in Cubase and the choir should kick in, but i get a load of Gm drums banging about on that channel.
I have looked at the Event list on the Genos and it shows all the details of what i have done on channel 16. (I do have the Channel  16 with all matching properties done)
So somewhere in the System Exclusive it goes pear shaped when playing from Cubase to the Genos (not reading the zeros and ones correctly  or complaining about something).
Yamaha do need to look at the Compatibility of Cubase and Genos. Other strange things happen as well ,but you can eventually work around them.
Fortunately i have a good take on my song and did some jiggery pokery on the Genos ::) :P ;D.

For me personally that is really the only issue i have with the Genos. All the rest is fine and any enhancements would be welcome.

All the Best
John :)
So Here's to Genos and Cubase Compatibility!!------Or NOT!!! Booooooooooooooo!!! :-[  July 31st will be fine.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:49:18 PM by ugawoga »

Offline panos

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2019, 10:08:15 PM »
Hi John,
as far as I know there is no way to record someting in any kind of program(or even at your keyboard) and be placed at the exact "spot" that the bar is.
That's why they call you John and not IBM 2100.  :)

You have to quantize the parts.(drums,bass etc)
But usually I believe is not a good idea to quantize perfectly the melodic parts.
They will sound too robotic.
The sane with the length of the notes,If they are equal as if they were played exactly as a sheet music indicates(8ths,16ths and not 8ths+ and 16ths-) then you just created a song that sounds like a midi.

The lesser milliseconds is the delay between your playing and the recording of your computer the closest the recording will be at the correct point but if a computer is not expensive the sound will not sound good.
There must be an option in cubase to find the "sweet" spot between those two.

Talking about milliseconds just a couple of examples not related to music  :) 
In Formula One if the reaction of a driver is lesser than 200 milliseconds in the grid when the lights go out, he is taking a stop and go penalty beacause he reacted before the lights went out.
(200ms=1/5 of a second.That is how slow we really are)

In online games the delay of 50ms between the time you push a button and the server reacts is very good.They will keep you alive in one person war games  ;D

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2019, 12:28:47 AM »
Hi Panos

You are 100% right there , but I was not wanting everything on the grid exactly.
I play a song and do not quantize very much, only parts that have to be.
I was saying earlier when you do some editing in Cubase and move a few notes where you want them they sometimes move forward off the grid if you placed them snap to grid.
If you quantized everything they can still move forward off the grid line after a while and that puzzles me. I am not talking about a great deal of movement. Can be up to a 1/16 note.
I just pull them back if it happens if i want to make things tight.
Like you say music is sometimes forward of the grid to get a pulling forward sound or behind to get a more layed back sound
I just wondered if there is a setting somewhere that you have to tweak. It is not a latency problem in the way you play a note and wait for the sound, being unbelievably quick!!! ;D

This is for Genos not VST. Just using the midi Yamaha driver for Genos sound.
On VST ,i can get down to 5ms latency on my Focusrite

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:42:24 AM by ugawoga »

Bachus

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2019, 08:08:10 PM »
Hi John,
as far as I know there is no way to record someting in any kind of program(or even at your keyboard) and be placed at the exact "spot" that the bar is.
That's why they call you John and not IBM 2100.  :)

You have to quantize the parts.(drums,bass etc)
But usually I believe is not a good idea to quantize perfectly the melodic parts.
They will sound too robotic.
The sane with the length of the notes,If they are equal as if they were played exactly as a sheet music indicates(8ths,16ths and not 8ths+ and 16ths-) then you just created a song that sounds like a midi.

The lesser milliseconds is the delay between your playing and the recording of your computer the closest the recording will be at the correct point but if a computer is not expensive the sound will not sound good.
There must be an option in cubase to find the "sweet" spot between those two.

Talking about milliseconds just a couple of examples not related to music  :) 
In Formula One if the reaction of a driver is lesser than 200 milliseconds in the grid when the lights go out, he is taking a stop and go penalty beacause he reacted before the lights went out.
(200ms=1/5 of a second.That is how slow we really are)

In online games the delay of 50ms between the time you push a button and the server reacts is very good.They will keep you alive in one person war games  ;D

Actually, in a good daw, quantize is allways a good thing..
They all have parameters like humanize to get the non robotic effect..