Author Topic: pdf music  (Read 3286 times)

Offline mazydazydinah

pdf music
« on: July 02, 2023, 07:23:05 PM »
Hi, does anyone know how to enlarge  pdf  music to help people with   poor vision. does anyone use a program or app.

thank you

Offline Divemaster

Re: pdf music
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 08:21:34 PM »
Hi

Most pdf programs will allow you to enlarge what you want to print, but therein lies the problem.
Most home printers are A4 size.

Unless you want to, or already own an A3 printer, then your best solution would be to approach a local stationer or print shop where they can convert A4 to A3 at the press of a button and print copies for you.

Having poor eyesight myself I sympathise.
I do own an A3 printer too which has really been a tremendous help.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 08:55:16 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 11:05:14 PM »
Have you tried the EZ play books. There are plenty to download on here.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 11:24:37 PM »
Hi, does anyone know how to enlarge  pdf  music to help people with   poor vision. does anyone use a program or app.

I use Finale to create pdfs for display on my IPad. That way I always have dots I can see.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 07:59:36 AM »
I think Fred has the best way. If the music is already in pdf forrmat just display it bigger on the screen. Buy a bigger tablet or use a monitor if necessary.
Mike

Offline mazydazydinah

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »
thanks for all your replies, but apart from taking my pdf to the printers I have done all these things. It would cost so much to take hundreds of pieces of music to the printers that it makes that a no.  I already have a 24" screen set up, which is great, and I can see the music, but the tiny chords are now posing a problem. Perhaps I should go to the "Birds Eye" shop and get another brand new pair of eyes... I wish ;D but  can you imagine the length of the queue!!!!  I'll keep searching

Offline ton37

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 11:19:47 AM »
Perhaps there is another option for displaying a musicsheet on a monitor: Use Mobilesheets Pro! Then you only have to enter larger chords once, which you may be able to read better. You can also, for example, load half a music page for a larger view. I don't know if you know this wonderful FREE program with a lot of functions? If not, give it a shot. It might help you more than you think? If you are satisfied, I recommend the cheap payed version.
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 11:24:23 AM »
It's probably something you've looked into, but in the absence of any constructive ideas from your optician, maybe try the sort of spectacles worn by some professionals for close up work. ESCHENBACH viewers are one of the best, but of course high quality comes at price.
I'm thinking watch and clock repairers, surgeons etc. There are some visor style hobby magnifiers that are pretty good too.

Yes, cost is a big thing... Unless you are a professional musician, there's a reasonable limit to what is sensibly affordable to home players. I think that's sometimes overlooked.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 12:26:26 PM »
mazydazydinah,
You didn't mention if you had an iPad or not, but if you do they make wall mounted iPad holders that can extend to bring the iPad right up in your face if need be. I have been using one for years. It's a little pricey but the quality is top notch. Here is the link.
https://www.displays2go.com/P-36312/Secure-Tablet-Wall-Mount-Extendable-Arm?gclid=CjwKCAjw44mlBhAQEiwAqP3eVqiCtlMLXLj67nXl7R9Y3FpBlGtqhNJbL3lBL2qjoxSSH3K46McqYhoCz7cQAvD_BwE

Good luck,

Rick D.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 01:27:33 PM »
Good idea from Rick and similar to what I use. I always look at cost effective solutions.
I have a small TV bracket that swings out from the wall. My tablet (not an ipad) is mounted to it using a 12" by 8" piece of plywood and mirror clips. It does the job perfectly well and economically.
I think, though, that as mazydazydinah already has a 24" monitor then her options are difficult to solve. I can't see any tablet on the current market being anywhere near that size without spending a small fortune.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 01:28:44 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 02:19:25 PM »
Best solution - learn to play by ear! Especially those pesky chords. Most songs only have 3 or 4 so its not that hard to get it most of the time. If there are a couple of unusual ones just write them down on the music in big letters.
Mike

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 03:29:27 PM »
Hello mazydazydinah,

You could also edit the pdf's and make the chords bigger.
This will be a lot of work, but it is possible.
I tried it with the song 'Amarillo'.

I used 2 programs : PDF24 and Photoshop (I think any other program will work too).
With PDF24 I create jpg pictures from the original pdf.
In photoshop I remove the chords in these jpg files.
Once done I recreate the pdf from the jpg's in PDF24.
Then in PDF24 i add the chord's as text in the format I like them to be.

In attachement the JPG files. The pdf can not be send by this forum.
If you let me know your e-mail address then I can send it to you.

Regards
Etienne
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 03:31:21 PM by vlbrgt »
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 03:38:15 PM »
For comparision the first page in original format.
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2023, 03:52:40 PM »
I did a new check, and it can be done with only the program PDF24 (is for free).
You can remove the chords and add the bigger chords with the same program.

Regards
Etienne
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2023, 04:38:56 PM »
Marion,

Here are my pdfs that I create in larger size for my aging eyes: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsHi9Gh31gfOiogCuDpJEy44YH1Fdw?e=iiZpZ2

See if they are of any help.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: MIKEP, davey, Duffy, Roshure, daleSP, jcook980, srmf, Claudeciuba

Offline Des O

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2023, 07:46:38 PM »
Try the free version of Power Music, it will allow you to enlarge pdf sheet music. If you like it then the pro version cost around £10 for full editing etc. I use it.
It is specifically for sheet music libraries, pdfs, images etc. Enlarge to full screen 1 page or 2 or 3 then scoll to enlarge. All in the free version except edit, highlight, Library collections. :) Available for Mac, PC Ipad etc. No i dont have any dealings with them just use the software as I was looking for this type of thing years ago and came across it, perfect for me.
https://powermusicsoftware.com/products/power-music-essentials

« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 07:54:28 PM by Des O »

The following users thanked this post: overover

Offline mazydazydinah

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2023, 02:51:16 PM »
Hi there everyone for your replies, it's good to tell we are all reaching the same stage in life.  My set up is Power Music Prof.  The best program ever out there in my opinion.  I have it on the pc and that's set up for two screens, so it opens my 24" monitor that sits with a bit of help on the music stand. Anything you don't understand all you have to do is phone Gordon and his wife who made the program and they are there ready to help, they even took over my PC to try and find some back up that had got lost.  If your looking for a program  this is the one, you can also scan straight to the program, and you have options to  clip,rotate, change contrast and much more. I don't have anything to do with this program either but for the money it has everything.

Thanks Fred so much for your library of large print music, that will be another big help.

I am going to see if I can do the chord symbols with the P2F24 as  mentioned that would be a big help as well. 

We all need to keep playing because there doesn't seem as many young ones interested in the old ways does there. So any help we can get to keep going is a bonus.

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline Claudeciuba

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2023, 01:12:54 AM »
Marion,

Here are my pdfs that I create in larger size for my aging eyes: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsHi9Gh31gfOiogCuDpJEy44YH1Fdw?e=iiZpZ2

See if they are of any help.

Cheers,
Fred

Muito obrigado por compartilhar essas partituras, sao otimas e faceis de enxergar

Google translation by overover;

Thank you so much for sharing these sheet music, they are great and easy to see

@Claudeciuba
Please post here in English only. Roger Brenizer already pointed out in your first post that we are an English-speaking forum. If you ignore this and keep posting here in portuguese/spanish, the admin will probably restrict your user account so that you can only read, but no longer post.

Best regards, Chris (overover)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 02:46:49 AM by overover »

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2023, 02:49:38 PM »
I use a 2017 version of an iPad 12.9" (2nd model I believe of the 12.9") and software called forScore and an iRig Bluetooth Page Turner with foot pedal control. You can manually zoom the page out to the screen edge and if thats not enlarged enough you can turn the iPad to landscape view and make the page into a top and bottom section with larger magnification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv11Wh1cs44&t=3s

Murray

Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8