Author Topic: Deleteing files stored fromprevious owner?  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Capt Tony

Deleteing files stored fromprevious owner?
« on: April 03, 2019, 11:45:52 PM »
I am the 3rd owner of a Tyros5 that is in like new condition.  I would like to start with as clean a slate as possible. Here is the situation.  When i scroll over to the HD screen there is a list of files of various descriptions that i assume were loaded by one of the previous owners and which are clearly from a flash drive that no longer is available to me....  Any suggestions?    ThankYou all in advance for any help you may provide..  i am enjoying the forum immensely.. 👍🏼
Tyros5.  New to me..

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Deleteing files stored fromprevious owner?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 12:14:25 AM »
I am the 3rd owner of a Tyros5 that is in like new condition.  I would like to start with as clean a slate as possible. Here is the situation.  When i scroll over to the HD screen there is a list of files of various descriptions that i assume were loaded by one of the previous owners and which are clearly from a flash drive that no longer is available to me....  Any suggestions?    ThankYou all in advance for any help you may provide..  i am enjoying the forum immensely.. 👍🏼

You can delete them all. There’s nothing on the hard drive that the keyboard requires.

Easiest to do from a PC. Just connect it to the USB to host port, and power on while holding down the Music Finder button.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Capt Tony

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 11:38:29 AM »
ThankYou sir for the fast response.  I only have an i pad at this time as my laptop is in the repair shop, the keyboard just stopped working....it may be afew weeks    Is there any other method that will work without using a pc?   Thanks for responding... BTW. I watched all of your you tube videos and they have been extremely helpful in getting up to speed on myT5. 
Tyros5.  New to me..

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 12:45:39 PM »
If there is nothing on the hard drive you want to use then just format it and it will clear everything in a couple of seconds. If there are things you want to keep then copy them to a USB stick and then load back as you want them.

Offline Denn

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 12:49:33 PM »
Hello Tony, Go to your HD, press "Delete"button (Lower 5) select "ALL" and then OK. The lot should go. You may have to select button J (regs) first then D for styles etc A for Songs (MIDI's). Otherwise go to Functions, Utility, tab to Media and format the HD. Everything gone, clean HD.
Regards, Den.
Love knitting dolls

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 02:48:29 PM »
As I have already said Denn. Much quicker to format.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 04:10:15 PM »
As Eileen is trying to tell the OP, formatting the hard disk using the keyboard's format function will effectively clear the hard disk and will be the simplest option.

There is just one thing to check first!   If the T5 is fitted with an expansion memory board, and it currently contains samples for expansion voices, the hard disk will contain a folder called 'Expansion' which contains the voice data for these samples.  If you delete the Expansion folder, it won't delete any samples in the expansion memory, but it will render any voices that use the samples inaccessible! 

If there is no expansion memory fitted, or there are currently no expansion voices in the Expansion folder on the hard disk, then you can go ahead and format it.  If there are such voices you must decide if you want to keep them or not, and if you do, then you will need to manually delete everything on the hard disk except for this folder.

Note that this format is effectively the same as a 'quick format' on a computer, since all it does is clear the FAT table which tells the controller what files are stored on the disk and where they are.

After this type of format the actual data is still left on the hard disk (and could be recovered assuming nothing has been written to the disk since the format).  However the disk will appear empty to you (and the T5 OS), and all of it will be available for use.   As you use the disk any previous data will simply be overwritten.

If you decide to format the hard disk, you access the display containing the format function by pressing  [FUNCTION] > UTILITY [H button] > Tab to [MEDIA]

Regards

Ian

Offline Capt Tony

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 07:20:13 PM »
Success..... i did exactly as instructed and the folders are now gone.  I sincerely appreciate all of your help.   I’m new to digital keyboards but have been playing for many years.  The learning curve is challenging and i am sure to be asking for help as i progress  through the worm holes i find myself in every so often.  I,m working way through the psr tutorial associated with this forum and i wonder wher i have been for the last 20 years 🙂.  Again thank you all. Tony D.  Florida
Tyros5.  New to me..