Author Topic: Failing power supplies on PSR PSR-S keyboards  (Read 4481 times)

kampot

Failing power supplies on PSR PSR-S keyboards
« on: April 01, 2019, 04:02:31 AM »
About every other yamaha psr user I know has replaced the power adapter atleast once. How come this  Failing power supplies issue on PSR PSR-S keyboards is still going from more than 10 years ago until today ?
Why isn’t yamaha improving the power supplies for these keyboards ?

Offline alanclare

Re: Failing power supplies on PSR PSR-S keyboards
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »
Kampot

May I ask the number of PSR arrangers that you know, and from which you deduce that 50% have failed?

Alan

Offline andyg

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 09:50:58 AM »
I've been in the business since 1970, long before keyboards were developed, so I've been working with them from day one.

As well as playing them since then as a demonstrator and concert artist, I've personally owned loads of Yamaha keyboards over the past 25 years or so. My students have had many. many more. In all that time I've come across just one failure of a power adaptor, and that was on a small PSR290, many years ago.

So the idea that 50% of power supplies are failing is just ridiculous.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: alanclare

Roy_T

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 03:11:19 PM »
Why isn’t yamaha improving the power supplies for these keyboards ?

Because most power supply failures are the user's own fault.  Wrapping the cord around the power supply's "brick", when it is not in use, is the number one killer of power supplies - in either of two ways.  The sharp edges of the corners of the case kink the wires, inside the insulation, over an over, and finally cause them to break - like bending a wire back an forth until it breaks.  Most user's who do this also bend the cord at a sharp 90 degree angle where it comes out of the case, and cause it to break there.  Then there are the folks who treat the power supply brick as though it is actually just a brick and drop it, throw it, or what have you.  I continually see threads on forums by users who think a power supply is a power supply is a power supply, and in a pinch, will connect any ole power supply to any ole device without ever checking voltage and wattage specs to make sure they match.

Like andyg, above, I have been in this business since the mid-80's, have had many keyboards, laptops, and various peripheral devices over the years, and have never experienced a power supply failure.  Yes - some power supplies do fail, but if the situation were as bad as you state, andyg and I both should have had several by now.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 03:18:19 PM by Roy_T »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 04:04:52 PM »
In more than 3 decades of performing on stage with a Yamaha Arranger Keyboard, I never had a power supply failure. I fixed one fro a friend that insisted on wrapping his cables around the power supply brick, thus resulting in broken wires.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 04:10:27 PM »
I had a couple of power supply failures, one for a radio and one for a router. The radio has a rechargeable battery, so you can't use the radio for long without the power supply. Non theless, they stated that power supply is "accessory" and not covered by the warranty, so I had to pay for a new one myself. Keyboards without batteries cannot function without power supply, but in some countries I have heard that you have to buy a "survival kit" to get the power supply.
I have a PSR-47. It was made in 1989, and the power brick is a true brick, heavy and bulky. But it still does its job!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline alanclare

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 05:43:17 PM »

I have a PSR-47. It was made in 1989, and the power brick is a true brick, heavy and bulky. But it still does its job!

Also useful for keeping the door open on a hot Summer's Day?

Alan

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 05:47:13 PM »
 :) :) :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Bruce Breen

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 08:22:32 PM »
I've owned three PSR series keyboards over the past 20+ years.
Each uses a different power supply (different generations).
I have never had a power supply issue, or failure, with any of them.

As 'insurance', I bought an extra power supply for each of the boards, and carried it to every gig I was playing - in case I had a problem.
When I sold the oldest keyboard two years ago I included the extra power supply - still in it's original box!!

So, no problems with Yamaha power supplies here...!
(Although, looking back I guess I could have saved some money...hmmm - it's easy to say that now!)
 ;D
Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950, PSR-2100 & Piano Accordion

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 11:23:10 PM »
Always good to be on the safe side :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.