Author Topic: Genos vs PSR S970  (Read 7453 times)

Genos vs PSR S970
« on: March 25, 2019, 06:02:20 AM »
I want to compare a Genos with my PSR S970, but I need some help because I don’t have a Genos. I see that Genos share some styles with PSR S970, so i will be very grateful if someone can send me a high quality audio recording of some styles, maybe only play one intro and one end, and I will do the same on my psr s970.

Here are the styles that I choose:

- Salsa
- Afrocuban
- Bossa Nova
- 70’s Hard Rock
- Power Rock
- Live Soul Band
- 70’s Chart soul
- 70’s Tv theme
- Flamenco
- Contry Blues
- Latin Party Pop
- Gospel Brothers

Thank you in advance for the help

Offline Denn

Re: Genos vs PSR S970
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 01:06:05 PM »
Hello. I don’t have a Genos. GREAT! There is no comparison. PSRS 970 is fine. Not sure if any things from Genos will sound the same on your S970.
I nicked a whole pile of things off a Tyros, - styles and voices for my PSRS but they did not sound the same. Now I have the Tyros, it's great. I play a friends 970 and the only thing I miss is the third voice. I have a PSR S770 also. Have a look on one of the links for Genos styles and download from there. Try this for starters https://psrtutorial.com/sty/index.html
Regards, Den.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:10:44 PM by Denn »
Love knitting dolls

The following users thanked this post: rodrigo.b

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »
You really can not compare these two keyboards either in sound or operation. Genos converted styles will not sound the same at all. How could they.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 04:00:26 PM »
Genos converted styles will not sound the same at all. How could they.

The big advantage that Genos has is that it can allocate one DSP to each style part. The S series can only allocate one DSP to the style as a whole.
Genos

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 05:11:10 PM »
I know that the genos is better but I want to hear how much better it is.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 05:35:15 PM »
Rodrigo, the true difference between the two keyboards is evident when you use features such as third voice, S. art buttons, scat voices, ensamble feature and many others that are not on the PSR. If you just play the keyboard in a simple way, just start a style and play a melody without trying to get effects into the voice, it will sound more or less the same on both keyboards (Genos owners may protest). A good speaker system will help in making the S970 sounding better, the internal speakers are good, but they are not like the Tyros/Genos speakers. You can use Genos styles on your S970 that people here have converted. They sound very good, but can never sound exactly the same as on Genos.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Ed B

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 02:30:19 AM »
Hi
Take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqW1HXov60U
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

The following users thanked this post: pchan

Offline Denn

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 04:02:19 AM »
Hello, Go to the 3:00 point of the video, up to there is speech in German. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqW1HXov60U)
Then you get the PSR S970 played.
Warning; The melody has been played and recorded onto a computer, then converted to MP3 or MP4 for video. Then uploaded across the net to You Tube which modifies the file somewhat. Then you watch it and listen on your computer speakers. The only comparison you can really get is to go to a shop where they will plug in the Genos and the PSRS 970 into the same amp and speakers. When I bought my Tyros4 they had one set up in the demo room. It sounded fantastic. I learned later that their T4 was played through a "Top of the line" amp and speakers. I have since upgraded my system.

Another thing, unless you are playing to a very discerning audience most people will not be able to tell which instrument you are playing. Unless you have both together in the room who would tell?

Sorry Rodirgo, (I know that the Genos is better but I want to hear how much better it is.) I disagree. I play Tyros4 in preference, then my PSR S770 then my friends PSRS970. The Tyros is more mellow, the PSR's are sharper to my ears.

Important:- Just my opinions
Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline Brian 007

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 08:33:02 AM »
Hi All,

You get what you pay for, if you need all the extras that the Genos has over the 970 then go for it, if you don't well save yourself some money and go for what meets you needs in this case maybe the 970.

To me it's better to stretch yourself and get the most out of your keyboard as opposed to not using half of the features that are available on a more expensive a keyboard, unless money isn't an issue.

Brian007 

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »
Hello, Go to the 3:00 point of the video, up to there is speech in German. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqW1HXov60U)
Then you get the PSR S970 played.
Warning; The melody has been played and recorded onto a computer, then converted to MP3 or MP4 for video. Then uploaded across the net to You Tube which modifies the file somewhat. Then you watch it and listen on your computer speakers. The only comparison you can really get is to go to a shop where they will plug in the Genos and the PSRS 970 into the same amp and speakers. When I bought my Tyros4 they had one set up in the demo room. It sounded fantastic. I learned later that their T4 was played through a "Top of the line" amp and speakers. I have since upgraded my system.

Another thing, unless you are playing to a very discerning audience most people will not be able to tell which instrument you are playing. Unless you have both together in the room who would tell?

Sorry Rodirgo, (I know that the Genos is better but I want to hear how much better it is.) I disagree. I play Tyros4 in preference, then my PSR S770 then my friends PSRS970. The Tyros is more mellow, the PSR's are sharper to my ears.

Important:- Just my opinions
Regards, Denn.

I hope I can go some day to one store to test the genos, because they don’t sell the Genos on my country  :'(
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:00:26 PM by rodrigo.b »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 10:22:55 AM »
One thing that's not been mentioned is the physical keybed.

Genos, like T5-76, has a 76-note FSX keyboard.

I don't claim to be a great player, but I have noticed real improvement in my playing - especially piano pieces - using the 76 key FSX keyboard. I don't know if it's the action of the keys, or some vague sense of space that comes from the extra notes, but it's real. And I'm happy!
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 12:39:42 PM »
Yes Genos has a much better keybed and although I also have a 970 I find the keys noisy when playing softly. Genos is so much better and a nicer feel. 

Offline Patrick

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 10:18:09 PM »
Hi, Genos is arrived last Week here; very nice keyboard; Yamaha have made a fantastic keyboard; it's not so big and the look is great; have not play on it yet but soon, i hope! The price here with the speakers is 7300 $! The PSR S975 price is 3 000 $; I'll go back to the shop next Week; all the best Patrick

Offline elad770

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 04:40:36 AM »
I know that the genos is better but I want to hear how much better it is.

It is MUCH, MUCH BETTER. I had PSR'S all my life and i can tell you that when you drive the best Honda it really feels like a quality car UNTIL... you drive a Rolls Royce!

Offline elad770

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 04:43:38 AM »
Hi, Genos is arrived last Week here; very nice keyboard; Yamaha have made a fantastic keyboard; it's not so big and the look is great; have not play on it yet but soon, i hope! The price here with the speakers is 7300 $! The PSR S975 price is 3 000 $; I'll go back to the shop next Week; all the best Patrick

WOW ! 7300$ ?????? ***

I got mine for 4100$ Including ALL the accessories you can imagine, Brand new in a box! There's no justification for it! Where are you from? Is this because of high taxes in your country?
Either way..... The more you play the Genos the more the cost of the keyboard will fade away. It's that good!